Transmission compatibility between years

Saturn

So I'm hopefully gonna be doing a 4wd conversion relatively soon on my 02 pathy, but I want to make sure I get the right transmission. The production date on my truck is 11/01, so I know nothing before 08/01 will work, but does anyone know for sure if everything up to 04 will work? Cause someone's parting out a crashed but running and driving 04 and I'm thinking about jumping on it. I checked as many part numbers as I could, Rockauto lists the same valve bodies for 02 and 04, but I always feel more comfortable asking y'all to be sure.

In 19, got my truck for less than 2K, got a lot into the suspension, and I absolutely love that thing, it's been through a lot with me and I cannot imagine it going to someone else who ruins or scraps it. Everyone I know wishes they could get the car they had in high school back, never want to give this thing up. It needs some drive train work so why not put good stuff in it. I work at an auto shop and I figure if I wanna show em what I'm made of what better way to do it than this.

• Like 2

Works for me! I get the sentimental value part. While I don't care for my car from high school (86 Mazda 323 sedan), my 98 Frontier from college is still around.

Well, be mindful that converting to 4wd will require far more than just the drivetrain, and for everything you'll have to remove, you'll have to do it twice. Center console, gauge cluster possibly for the 4wd lights (they might only need bulbs, not sure...but consider any issues with the differences in miles on the gauge if you have to swap them), TCU, ECU possibly, all wiring harnesses, etc. The drivetrain stuff is probably the easiest, it'll be all the little things that might wear someone down.

I already got the interior panel with the boot for the TCase. As far as the TCU, ECU, and wiring goes, I think it doesn't matter as long as you have the same production generation of trans, the guts and internals of the trans are same between 4WD/2WD, only difference is the output shaft and housing, my 2wd trans even says "4WD" it. I tracked down the best 4WD conversion thread I could, it's this: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/32299-along-came-pathy-4wd-conversion-done/page-2?hl=+4wd%20+conversion%20+done As far as I can tell from what he writes on page 2 the trans should hook right up, dude was a Nissan tech I think, but sadly he hasn't been online since 2014 or I'd just PM him. I also looked at the wiring diagrams in my haynes manual and didn't see anywhere it marked the trans connections as different between the two. My gauge cluster does have spots for the 4WD light but I'm not particularly worried about that, when I go wheeling I don't use 4wd (I have a 4wd POS 4runner) unless I think I'm gonna get stuck, and when I'm rolling again I always disengage it. Still would be fun to make it work though. I think I was able to answer my own question though, Nissan's website lists production year ranges for the trans as 8/2001 to 7/2002 and 7/2002 to 3/2004. So that answers that question. The 2004 I found won't work, I got a pretty limited window to pull from.

• 2 months later...

If I were you, instead of using the more modern 4wd system with the Auto function and switch, I would install the older 2wd/4wd/4lo transfer case, which doesn't need any electrics to work. This way you could do it as a purely mechanical swap. Of course, you wouldn't have a dash light to tell you you're in 4wd, but you don't really need one anyway. Only thing is you'd have to source centre console trim from a pre-facelift with a manual transfer case shifter.

Ain't done it yet, got a lot of the parts but most of time these days is spent on my project 4runner, I tell ya, that toyota gives me way more problems than my Pathfinder ever has. I also can't work on my stuff in the shop nearly as much now so everything has slowed down a lot project wise. Once the yota drives reliably I'll hopefully get back on the 4wd conversion here.

Also, I always planned on doing a manual case for simplicity. Unfortunately I stashed it and my driveshaft in an abandoned building which is no longer abandoned so hopefully I can talk to someone and get my gear back.

• Like 1