Exhaust / muffler / catalytic converter rusted and broken - help!

mbailey802

Hey guys, took my pathfinder in for an oil change, and among a few other things, they showed me my exhaust pipe and muffler is all rusted out and broke right off. Also they mentioned if they swapped it out they'd need to do the catalytic converter too I think. Estimated quote is at $1000 at one shop, $1100 at another.

891311_1600w.png

See damage here:

891306_1600w.jpeg

891303_1600w.jpeg

891309_1600w.jpeg

Is this crucial to get done? I just spent ~$500 getting new steering rack boots put on after another shop effed up and put on CV boots (another $500 thrown down the drain).

So I'm really not trying to spend that money right now. It is too rusted to be patched or welded apparently.

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!

I would get a second opinion, that's a lot of money based on one shops opinion. As far as that break, you can get tape for "fixing" exhaust and just get it patched back together good enough. If it's the secondary cats that are bad, you don't need them unless your state does inspections.

Your muffler looks fine, it's the resonator that broke off. Mine did that too awhile ago and I just left it for a long time.After being tired of it just hanging off, I eventually cut off all the tubing behind the muffler and just welded a turndown onto it. Shops like that are just trying to make money off you, there is absolutely no way you should spend even close to that amount of money on it. If you really think you need a new exhaust system and don't want to just get rid of the broken part, check your local pick n pull and get one for $30. Even if you took your car to an actual exhaust shop it should only be around $200 for a fully custom brand new cat-back system.

What I would try first is just cutting all the piping behind the muffler off, and seeing if it bothers you having it like that. If it does, try the junk yard or a local exhaust shop, if it doesn't then just leave it and forget about it!

• Like 1

If I were you I'd order a set of new cats and replace the whole payback with a JY setup. 1100$ actually isn't crazy as cars are expensive and they probably have a standard markup, and they realize some cutting and welding will probably need to be done and most auto shops aren't great at that, they might only have 1 guy that does it or have to call someone in. Still, screw that, just do it yourself.

There are definitely way cheaper options. I agree with Micah on first just deleting everything from the main muffler back and see what you think. But, worst case scenario you can replace everything including the main cats for about $500 in parts. Heres a full cat back exhaust that replaces everything from the main cats back for $280, and if you do need to replace the primary cats those can be had for another $180 ish. Hopefully these links work.

https://www.upsw.com/1999-nissan-pathfinder-se-resonator-pipe-muffler-exhaust-system-kit/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwKvTBRC2ARIsAL0Dgk141rWCSzrRgwWKwJSS7fiIqbOhinuQVvv4MKkHnVT5l5GOHTiXHhQaAshcEALw_wcB

https://www.carparts.com/details/Nissan/Pathfinder/Evan_Fischer/Catalytic_Converter/1999/SET-REPN960337.html

• 2 weeks later...

What part even is this?

891309_1600w.jpeg

It looks like I can buy a new exhaust silencer for a good price on amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Bosal-278-375-Exhaust-Silencer/dp/B0015CN4FU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

But I'm not even sure what the above part is that is cracked...