1995 Pathfinder Amplifier Bypass Harness

Mythstae

Yes, that's right! Another amplifier bypass thread!

But mine... is different. Kinda.

Before we start: I have a 1995 Pathfinder; SE. I have the "8-speaker" system: 2 tweeters in the A-Pillars, 2 speakers in the doors, 2 speakers in the rear roof, and 2 tweeters in the rear roof.

This guide was written for mine. If you have different equipment, this guide very probably will not help you.

Does some of the wiring have the same application on other models? Maybe, but I don't own any others, so I have no idea.

So, I drew inspiration from:

The Factory Service Manual

Slartibartfast's guide: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/35837-how-to-bypass-the-factory-amps-step-by-step/

adamzan's guide (which was itself sourced from elsewhere): http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/24612-how-to-bypass-factory-amps-in-your-clarion-equipped-nissan/

Some information on tweeters from NICO club: forums.nicoclub.com/factory-tweeter-mod-t443885.html

And here's what I ended up with.

First, is the way I did it, the "only" way to do it? No, absolutely not.

Secondly, is it the "best" way? No! I'm sure it isn't!

Well, then... why did I do it this way?

Because I wanted to retain the use of my tweeters (like Slartibartfast did) but not cut the original factory wiring (like adamzan).

Therefore, a hybrid solution was in order.

For reference, the factory diagram may be useful to some of you. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4536/27106255909_cd9b180cb5_o.gif

It wasn't terribly useful to me; I'm confused by Nissan diagrams.

Moving along.

Here are the diagrams that I made. They tell you wire colors, wire functions, and which wire to hook to which other wire.

You'd be able to use this as a guide if you want to just cut and solder the original wires, instead of taking apart the amps to get the plug.

And if that's the way you want to do this, go right ahead!

39815685152_646669629f_o.png

24977411847_e6af2f05d9_o.png

There is more to this guide, but the diagrams are the most important part.

I will update this later with reference photos, etc, when my internet stops being so uncooperative.

• Like 2

First thing to do is to carefully remove the plug from your amplifier's circuit board.

39138019734_1fb2d232d9_o.jpg

;)

Next, take the plug off of a harness from something else, to get some wires with terminal ends. What did the plug come from? I dunno. I chopped it off a car in a junkyard.

39138022694_ac3dec392d_o.jpg

Straighten your pins, probably trim them shorter. They are longer than you need.

28068829699_6b1b0a5fb2_o.jpg

After you put the donor wires onto your pins, it looks something like this.

28068820949_36b82ac1c3_o.jpg

Get to soldering!

39138013714_7f9d306c5e_o.jpg

It is easier to solder these on than you'd think. They may be open on top and bottom, but the solder likes to cling to the sides, so you just kind of fill in the box...

Also, not knowing how the grounding might work, I avoided touching the metal cage with the ends of the terminals.

39138009284_3fc47149a6_o.jpg

Add your shrink tube... (Can you tell my favorite color is purple?)

39138007054_252d164fed_o.jpg

Pair your wires, according to the diagram, and solder them together.

39138005474_7850550109_o.jpg

Shrink tube those, too.

39815690302_8d02045714_o.jpg

If you don't want to keep your tweeters, you can do both harnesses this way, and you'll be done.

These are the capacitors I bought.

28068811699_bea0627fb3.jpg

Don't. They're polarized, and every other guide I read says to use non-polarized capacitors in this application.

But, wait. More reading says you can connect them in series (attach the negatives) and they become non-polarized. Cool!

But, wait. When you connect capacitors in series, they are worth half the value.

But, wait. When you connect capacitors in parallel, they're worth double.

So if I... connect 2 caps in series... and do that again... and then connect those, in parallel... I effectively have, "one cap", for the original value of a single cap, and now it's non-polarized?

Well, I sure hope it works that way, because that's the thing I did!

24958851357_d02c13d91e_o.jpg

24977411707_9d6e3db9cf_o.jpg

Reinstalling the harness plug in the amp case is not required. It's what I did; you don't have to.

39138111584_6e0dab3390_o.jpg

24977571787_cf397141a8_o.jpg

Edited by Mythstae

In fact, the funny part about reinstalling the bypass harness in the original amp case, is that, once you put the cases back where they normally go... you can't hardly tell anything has been done!

38949275275_bf44152926_o.jpg

Nice work! I replaced my speakers on my 95 with a set of Pioneers, forget the exact model but they required NO modification to fit. Which if you do a bit of digging, is near impossible to find in the proper 5x7 size.

Mine took a little router work on the plastic spacers. Not too bad, just annoying.

I remember when I blew the foams out of the stock Clarions in my '95. I'd just started driving and I was sure that flapping sound meant something important was about to fall off. :doh:

Did you buy ovals, or rounds, though? Because I bought rounds.

Like, yes, I know that the factory speakers are oval; I knew before I bought the replacements.

I wanted round ones, knowing I'd probably need to mod.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey All, I Have a 95 Nissan Pathfinder SE and My Radio In My Pathfinder only plays sometimes when its really hot in my car, you'll be able to hear the song with no bass. When its cold in my car no sound comes out the speakers at all. Is it my amp thats bad? I have after market Stereo deck and front door speakers and rear ceiling speakers.