D21 Engine Recall

TGKDO

I just bought a 95 Pathfinder SE and it is being shipped to me. I owned the same vehicle in the mid 90s. It was Recalled then for a valve tap issue. I brought it in and they replaced the upper half of the engine.

I looked long and hard online for info related to this and this is what I found:

The Silent Nissan Recall

In the spring of 1995 Nissan Motor Corporation made a change in their VG3E 6 cylinder engines. By March 1996 Nissan engineers discovered a defect in these engines. Their records showed that these defective engines were put into about 100,000 vehicles, 38,422 of which were 1995-1996 Pathfinders the remainder were in Quests and trucks.

1995-96 Pathfinders with VIN numbers ending in ...075996 through ...114418 were affected.

My Vin falls within this group (ugh) and I dont know if it was brought in for the service. Does anyone have any experience with this and will Nissan even entertain the idea of servicing it (no charge) now??

That's interesting regarding the recall on the VG30E's, I didn't know this event ever took place... guess that's why they call it the "silent" recall lol.

As far as getting your engine serviced, I would say bring it in to an authorized Nissan dealership and explain everything to them and I'm assuming they will be compliant. My friend bought what I want to say was an '02 Grand Cherokee back in 2014 only to discover it had a pretty serious misfire. After looking into the issue further the dealer discovered it was the #3 fuel injector that had failed, and it was allowing dirt and all sorts of crud to accumulate around it. Upon bringing it into a Chrysler dealership he was told that the year of his Cherokee had a known issue with the design of the intake and exhaust manifolds, so they added some dinky cover on the manifold to "direct air better" or something like that to help prevent the buildup of debris and replaced the injector; they did it free of charge. I know it's a lot different than the issue you're having, but my past experiences with dealers and recalled components has been good so far.

Let us know how it goes if you do take it in!

First I've heard of this. Any idea what was supposed to be wrong?

Do you know if the recall had some kind of reference number or something? That might help your case. I'd be surprised if the dealer was interested in looking up a recall they've never heard of on a twenty-three year old vehicle.

It would have been only very late production WD21's that were affected by this. I have one and the engine runs fine, though I have no idea if it was replaced or not. It couldn't hurt to call and ask.

Honestly if it is still running fine (quiet) now, it probably has been done. If anything the dealer can look it up and see if it was.

Edited by adamzan

Looking online here:

http://4x4partsforum.com/printthread.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB5&main=89454&type=thread

Wierd that the the one pertaining to this is the only one (*).

Its listed as *96-065 - June 96 - Engine Knock after cold start.

I remember getting this recall notice in the mail in 1996 for a Path I owned back then and bringing my car in then. Thats why I know about it.

Hmm. Interesting. Hopefully the dealership can look up that number, I'm not finding anything else related to it. If it's not knocking now, I'd assume the issue was addressed; anything that would've cropped up (or been recognized by Nissan, anyway) a year after manufacture would surely have shown up as a problem by now otherwise.