Rear to front wheel stud swap

Here's a quick write up for doing the rear to front wheel stud swap. I haven't used the car is who knows how long so the rotors have some surface rust and everything is full of gunk lol needs a good cleaning... It's been done before so I don't want to take credit for anything, hawairish helped me out.

Your gonna need to remove the wheels

Loosen the 6 bolts (14mm), jam a screwdriver into the rotor under the caliper and that'll stop the rotor from spinning.

2yxrswk.jpg

If you have AUTO HUBS: remove the dust cap, remove the C-clip, remove the 6 bolts that hold the rest on, and gently pry the rest off.
If you have MANUAL hubs: remove the 6 bolts that hold the face (mine were t15 torx, but may vary by brand), then remove the C-clip, then remove the 6 allen key bolts that hold the back half of the manual hub.

2mgju4w.jpg

2rduii0.jpg

Next your gonna want to remove the caliper and put it on something that will hold it up high enough so the lines won't get stretched, two 3/4" bolts. A 5 gallon bucket fits under the car well so maybe use one of those.

Next you'll see two phillips screws, remove those

5es46v.jpg

Pull the big washer looking lock thing off (magnet will help)

Put the screw driver into the big hole on the wheel bearing nut and spin the nut to the left till it's free.

2m82nh1.jpg

Put your thumbs onto the bearing and push the bearing in while pulling the rotor/wheel bearing assembly off.

Now remove the previously loosened 14mm bolts. If you didn't previously loosen them you'll have a hard time here lol

You can give he edge of the wheel bearing assembly thing a few whacks with a rubber hammer, or just pry the front half off of the rotor

23qxy7b.jpg

Next use either a press or a hammer (with the nuts still on to avoid messing the thread up) to get the old studs out. They are pressed in.

2cz2b05.jpg

Put the new studs into position and either press them in, or use a nut placed backwards to tighten it until it is seated in fully. Use greased washers behind the nut if you find any big enough. Prob around 1/2".

11ufds1.jpg

Reassemble!!!

2yxejcj.jpg

2rm86y9.jpg

Part number #610-320 on Advanced auto parts. 1.89$ US each.

Sorry if the pictures come out upside-down or sideways... I have no idea how to control that.

• Like 4