R50JR’s build thread

The solar and fridge sounds like an awesome project, any updates yet?

I ran all the wiring for the panel and for the isolation switch to aux battery. I’m currently working on the slide for the panel as it will be stored under the roof basket when driving. I probably drive less than 100 miles a month so it will also be good to keep the panel completely exposed to sun light to keep battery topped off. Once I am done with panel, I’ll begin the rear storage/fridge slide. I am probably going to mount 4 Rigid led pods on the roof basket. The chinese ones I have are ok but I am looking for reliability. I have an oem honeycomb grille if you are interested..

Sent from my Pathfinder

3 hours ago, R50JR said:

I ran all the wiring for the panel and for the isolation switch to aux battery. I’m currently working on the slide for the panel as it will be stored under the roof basket when driving. I probably drive less than 100 miles a month so it will also be good to keep the panel completely exposed to sun light to keep battery topped off. Once I am done with panel, I’ll begin the rear storage/fridge slide. I am probably going to mount 4 Rigid led pods on the roof basket. The chinese ones I have are ok but I am looking for reliability. I have an oem honeycomb grille if you are interested..

Sent from my Pathfinder

Nice, I’m looking forward to the finished result man.

About the grill, mind sending me a message with a pic or two when you have a chance?

Nice, I’m looking forward to the finished result man.

About the grill, mind sending me a message with a pic or two when you have a chance?

Sure, I’ll get a couple pics tomorrow.

Sent from my Pathfinder

• 1 month later...

The “cabinetry” turned out super nice. I like the bottle opener mod. I also appreciate that you left a central sight line through the back. I don’t need much but it bugs the hell out of me when I have none.

[mention=36148]hawairish[/mention] do think that bracket will work in mine? It looks like my cables will be in the way

0c9391fa10be71ff3577c313913f76b8.jpg

BTW, I was just telling[mention=36148]hawairish[/mention] how jealous I am of your sliders. I think that turned out great. I’d love to preserve the utility of my running boards but they’d be even better if they stuck out another inch.

You’re truck is REALLY turning out nice.

(And yes, I can see they did screw you with a blue LED)

51 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

The “cabinetry” turned out super nice. I like the bottle opener mod. I also appreciate that you left a central sight line through the back. I don’t need much but it bugs the hell out of me when I have none.

[mention=36148]hawairish[/mention] do think that bracket will work in mine? It looks like my cables will be in the way

BTW, I was just telling[mention=36148]hawairish[/mention] how jealous I am of your sliders. I think that turned out great. I’d love to preserve the utility of my running boards but they’d be even better if they stuck out another inch.

You’re truck is REALLY turning out nice.

(And yes, I can see they did screw you with a blue LED)

Thanks Raingoat. I was over at Hawairish's this weekend while he was re-working his sliders. He used qx4 brackets to for his and they look great. He said they are about an inch higher than mine which is nice. I believe my step sticks out 1-2" more than originally with the sliders, so it makes the step really useful.

For the arb compressor bracket, he made a specific "version" for that style setup like yours. We installed it on @Rockit truck and it was a couple of brackets that had an order to installation.

I'm kind of actually digging the blueish light. I have the amber markers on the honeycomb grille and when the hood is open it gives a spooky Halloween vibe.

[mention=41155]R50JR[/mention] is that an ARB bumper on the Infiniti? It looks really slick.

It is. It’s a very built truck and looks great.

Sent from my Pathfinder

On 10/19/2020 at 9:52 AM, RainGoat said:

hawairish do think that bracket will work in mine? It looks like my cables will be in the way

The bracket we did for R50JR’s truck won’t work in yours because of all the cruise control stuff. As he mentioned, I built two additional brackets to relocate the cruise control pump closer to the fuse block and also move then vacuum bulb closer to the firewall in order to get the compressor in at an angle.  But, I think of modified version of his bracket plus the additional relocation brackets might turn out better that the previous effort. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I upgraded my rear shocks today with 5165 Bilsteins. I had to remove a hard evap line and reroute with fuel hose to be able to fit external reservoir with main shock body.

6499b6357813b84e9d255c893fd37f8d.jpg

c24eea8271f6948a06962bf22f6595d3.jpg

Sent from my Pathfinder

What’s the extended length on those guys?  Any chance of them letting the coils fall out?

Also whats the exact part number? I’m upgrading to bilsteins soon but can’t decide if I should go for the 5100s or just directly to the 5165s

Edited by PathyGig12
  • Like 1

What’s the extended length on those guys?  Any chance of them letting the coils fall out?

Extended about 27.5”. Coils should be fine. I haven’t heard of guys running the longer version have any issues.

Sent from my Pathfinder

2 minutes ago, R50JR said:

Extended about 27.5”. Coils should be fine. I haven’t heard of guys running the longer version have any issues.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Cool. Did you have to extend your brake lines? 

I’ve always been a bit confused about the rear flex variables. Whenever I swapped springs or shocks I’ve noticed that the main limiting factor besides the shocks are the End links, they always stopped downward travel way before the coils came out. So isn’t it impossible to loose a coil regardless of your shock length? And is the same true for brake lines? 

Cool. Did you have to extend your brake lines? 

I’ve always been a bit confused about the rear flex variables. Whenever I swapped springs or shocks I’ve noticed that the main limiting factor besides the shocks are the End links, they always stopped downward travel way before the coils came out. So isn’t it impossible to loose a coil regardless of your shock length? And is the same true for brake lines? 

I extended my rear brake lines a while ago. You’re right about end links. As [mention]PathyDude17 [/mention] has shown, the sway bar suffers from stock end links. I just texted him I should pick up a spare sway bar.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Why a spare sway bar? Extended links I understand but not sure why a 2nd sway bar (or had you removed & lost yours)?

What rear springs are you using? I’m on Britpart NRC9448. This is exactly what I have been waiting to do but [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] & I weren’t sure which part number since Bilstein switched to the 5165 from the 5160. The last attempt at this showed a shock with one of the lines coming out perpendicular- but I note both of your attachments are 90* - Perfect. I’ve been running on[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] old 5100s with some top out - I can’t wait to get this step done!

2 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Why a spare sway bar? Extended links I understand but not sure why a 2nd sway bar (or had you removed & lost yours)?

What rear springs are you using? I’m on Britpart NRC9448. This is exactly what I have been waiting to do but [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] & I weren’t sure which part number since Bilstein switched to the 5165 from the 5160. The last attempt at this showed a shock with one of the lines coming out perpendicular- but I note both of your attachments are 90* - Perfect. I’ve been running on[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] old 5100s with some top out - I can’t wait to get this step done!

I looked into it a bit and it looks like the one with the 27.5 length and same valving as the 5100s (255/70) will be the 25-187717. Hopefully R50JR can confirm 

Im also curious because you mentioned top out with the 5100s. Is the shock short enough that it tops out before the end links stop travel? And you said you’re running 9448s. Aren’t they meant for a 4 inch lift? Even with the 9449s I’m sitting around 3 inches in the rear while fully loaded with cargo

Edited by PathyGig12

I looked into it a bit and it looks like the one with the 27.5 length and same valving as the 5100s (255/70) will be the 25-187717. Hopefully R50JR can confirm 

Im also curious because you mentioned top out with the 5100s. Is the shock short enough that it tops out before the end links stop travel? And you said you’re running 9448s. Aren’t they meant for a 4 inch lift? Even with the 9449s I’m sitting around 3 inches in the rear while fully loaded with cargo

The shock needed with 9448 should be 29”+version. [mention]RainGoat [/mention] you need the same as towndawg.

Sent from my Pathfinder

26 minutes ago, R50JR said:

The shock needed with 9448 should be 29”+version. [mention]RainGoat [/mention] you need the same as towndawg.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Shoot you’re totally right, it slipped my mind that he’d need the longer ones. The ones I mentioned are the ones I’d need with my 9449s

I have a 3”SFD that’s been waiting for install since February- probably will get done in the spring. I put in the springs to match that lift - right now I have significant rake. I haven’t updated my rear sway links yet. Top out is rare but has been occurring on some of the rougher trails. These 5100s are from[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] who lent them to me as a placeholder until we get the SFD on & determine the correct 5165.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I have a 3”SFD that’s been waiting for install since February- probably will get done in the spring. I put in the springs to match that lift - right now I have significant rake. I haven’t updated my rear sway links yet. Top out is rare but has been occurring on some of the rougher trails. These 5100s are from[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] who lent them to me as a placeholder until we get the SFD on & determine the correct 5165.

Looking forward to seeing your rig after the SFD!