R50JR’s build thread

You can find them a couple bucks cheaper as "14mm camber bolts". I use these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJFOVR2

As for tires, I've been running the Cooper Adventurer AT, which are the Pep Boys clone of the Discoverer AT3, for maybe 2.5 years and 12K miles (yes, I don't drive it much) over 5 tires. They've been a superb highway tire, and have done very well off-road. I'll usually take them down to 15 psi. Tread life seems fine, some tiny concerns about some cuts to the sidewall and lugs chunking at the edge of the tread, but I feel this is to be expected because my off-road usage. I've been pleased with them.

• Like 1

Do you have snow where you live? If so, it's worth getting tires with the Three Peak Snow Rating (or whatever it's called) such as the BFGoodrich KO2 (I have these and love them) or GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac. On my truck I needed camber bolts. You're technically supposed to install them in the bottom hole from what I've read or else you risk them turning or shearing off. For the struts, if you're planning to replace the bearing at the same time it is highly recommended that you get OEM Nissan, especially rather than KYB. Some members have had very bad experiences (although the KYB struts are excellent).

Sorry for rambling!

ATs i suggest the Yokohama geolanders

Fantastic traction this far. Have 24k miles and at 80% or 85% tread no issues on odd wear of lugs. I expect to easily get 60 to 70k miles out of them.

Once these are worn out i may go for Yoko mud tires.

Personally i never liked the bfg ats they are bad in the snow and terrible in the ice. They are decent in the mud.

• Like 2

ATs i suggest the Yokohama geolanders

Fantastic traction this far. Have 24k miles and at 80% or 85% tread no issues on odd wear of lugs. I expect to easily get 60 to 70k miles out of them.

Once these are worn out i may go for Yoko mud tires.

Personally i never liked the bfg ats they are bad in the snow and terrible in the ice. They are decent in the mud.

Have you ran the new KO2s or the older model BFG AT? Just asking because the KO2 is a totally redesigned tire and when I ran them they were one of the best tires Ive ever ran in snow/ice, even compared to dedicated snow tires I was impressed. Edited by Bax03SE

I have to say that although I haven't had any functional issues, the quality of the chrome is terrible. After the first winter it began to peel off, and at this point my driver side is almost all pitted metal, pass side is about half peeling chrome/half pitted crap.

Same thing my Mile Markers have done. They work great but the chrome on the rings around the dials has hardly any adhesion to the base metal and peels right off.

As for tires, I've been running the Cooper Adventurer AT, which are the Pep Boys clone of the Discoverer AT3, for maybe 2.5 years and 12K miles (yes, I don't drive it much) over 5 tires.

I may have to jump on those adventurers. It looks like a can get the set for just under $400 after rebates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have snow where you live?....For the struts, if you're planning to replace the bearing at the same time it is highly recommended that you get OEM Nissan, especially rather than KYB. Some members have had very bad experiences (although the KYB struts are excellent).

Sorry for rambling!

No, unfortunately no snow here. Just warm weather all year.

For struts, I will definitely get kyb. Actually the car already has them but there is a slight knock when hitting bumps. I presume it is the top hats. I honestly am not sure how old the struts are so I’ll replace them.

Have you ran the new KO2s or the older model BFG AT? Just asking because the KO2 is a totally redesigned tire and when I ran them they were one of the best tires Ive ever ran in snow/ice, even compared to dedicated snow tires I was impressed.

Must have been the older versions... that experience would not make me willing to buy more. They were on an s10 i drove for a winter and even with 2 sandbags and a bed of snow, traction was lacking quite often. Granted i doubt 4wd worked half the time so my aweful highway drive one morning i attribute to that more than anything.

But to each his own! I went from firestone destinations that were pretty plain but great tires to these yokohamas. And have not yet been disappointed by the purchase.

ATs i suggest the yokohama geolanders

I am not very familiar with the geolanders but I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews last night. I personally would love a set of ko2’s bur their costs puts me off.

I've been extremely impressed with my General Grabber AT2's. Have proven excellent in all but gooey mud. Have worn very well (65+k miles and still about 25% tread, wet traction beginning to suffer, snow still good) until recently, but that's because my kyb's seem to have worn out after only about 25k miles. My first set of kyb's weren't nearly this bad when I replaced them after ~60k. My first set were the old silver gr2's, replaced by the newer black excel's about 3 years ago. Now looking for other strut options.

I am not very familiar with the geolanders but Ive read a lot of mixed reviews last night. I personally would love a set of ko2s bur their costs puts me off.

Before i bought tires i searched for reviews... But i got fed up and ignored them and just order what i wanted.

I was sick of reading review after review of somebody with an opinion after 500 to 1000 miles. And in my mind that is no where near enough to get a good idea of a tire!

I was browsing the forum earlier today and came across the power valve screws topic. Made me wonder... so I bought the gasket set for the manifolds. Will probably get to it this weekend or next. Does anyone have any tips for getting to the screws?

I was browsing the forum earlier today and came across the power valve screws topic. Made me wonder... so I bought the gasket set for the manifolds. Will probably get to it this weekend or next. Does anyone have any tips for getting to the screws?

Pretty sure there's some write ups out there. Might have to dig around a bit, they were probably written close to a decade ago.

Pretty sure there's some write ups out there. Might have to dig around a bit, they were probably written close to a decade ago.

I’ve read through a bunch of the threads, I was just curious if anyone had any updated or different info. The photobucket issue definitely makes it harder to visualize the write ups

Ive read through a bunch of the threads, I was just curious if anyone had any updated or different info. The photobucket issue definitely makes it harder to visualize the write ups

Check this out, it should help your research.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

These power valve screws are definitely something to look into, especially with all these recent conversations.

• Like 1

That is awesome! thanks!

While I was doing the hubs last week, I noticed that the passenger side cv boot(s) are cracked and beginning to tear. I see I can buy the pair on ebay for around $100. Does anyone know the quality of these axles compared to autoparts store axles?

I have read that people have had good results with the NAPA Maxdrive new CVs, but I personally went with Raxles. The NAPA are made by A1 Cardone, and the new axles have a limited lifetime warranty. NAPA is good about replacing them. Once you have taken them off a few times it becomes easy to change them. I can get both sides on and off in about an hour now, but the first time took me probably 2 hours a side.

The Raxles are nice, and I like their joint design, but they are expensive. I think I paid $180 each a few years ago. If I had it to do over again I would probably just go with the NAPA axles for ease of replacement if anything went wrong.If you reserve the axles online you can get them for $72 each.

Without knowing what eBay product you are referencing, it is difficult to give an honest answer to the quality...

I was planning on doing the valve screws tomorrow once I got the gasket set but they arrived early in the mail today. Got a great deal on the set on ebay. $15 for all 5. 937c19f93bc1f554c8c2bf9753aa8301.jpg

The job itself was very straightforward and fairly easy. Just move away some of the harnesses and undo a couple of coolant line along with intake tube and the upper plenum comes right off. ff29450ca5d6947821bd6cdf20b29f9b.jpg

Lucky all my screws were still there and surprisingly very snug. It seems that the previous owner had already done it but im not 100%.

a2aa021a3c1b28bcd6ee1272b1249161.jpg

Edited by Astrorami

Along with the gasket set came a few other items. I realize oem mounts are recommended but I honestly have never had a problem with kyb.

7515fc987fef9d7478a5f5eec44802f1.jpg

I also got the camber bolts for the lift.

1eb71c18feed11a9c2c6e400c4a3149a.jpg

Now I’m just waiting on fleurys spacers to arrive so I can begin work on the suspension. I am also considering replacing the trailing arms after installing the lift if they show to be worn out.