Disappearing coolant

Hi guys! Over the past few days I have noticed the coolant level in the radiator continues to drop. I keep topping it off and it continues to disappear. I looked everywhere but don’t see any leaks. I checked oil and it is not frothy. The reservoir tank level does not drop at all. Could it be the system was flushed and not bled properly? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At what rate are you losing coolant? Fill up the reservoir go for a drive and get the vehicle to operating temperature then park over some cardboard with the engine on for like 10 minutes.

you can also add some UV dye to the coolant and use a black light to track down a leak.

The coolant has to be going somewhere right?

With almost no info it could be anything but it sounds like a head gasket or bad radiator. Then again maybe more info could help narrow it down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by Topper

uv dye works really well. as stated above. i would look under / around the throttle body. The thermal element for the fast idle cam gets bad and the seals leak. i dont live in a really cold area so i deleted mine. there is also some rubber under the intake. look on top of the valve cover under the upper intake.....but ya get a dye kit and go from there that is the fastest way to find a coolant leak that is making it outside your motor. as said above.

Pat

Here are a couple of photos of the top left side of radiator (near cap). There is some greenish residue on the edges.

d5997bdd71d41120b4217a85b2ae74ba.jpgf0fb2215149a6a3fb03d39107cd71f8d.jpg

I also figured out why no coolant was entering or leaving the reservoir... there was a nice kink in the hose.

7abd8cd1d4c00ad05b6bde908a4d5742.jpgf12fcc9bfb4fb9fe5066302e349f1531.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This issue was still bugging me as of this morning since I did not see the coolant level rise or lower in the reservoir. I removed the end that is on radiator neck and blew on the hose. Nothing. It was definitely clogged. I grabbed a small tire inflator to push air though and still nothing. So I proceeded to pull off the headlight assembly and and loosen the reservoir enough to remove the hose. I got a peek inside and there was sludge. Looked like chewed up paper. I blew that out with the compressor and now it seems to be flowing back and forth. I've never had a clogged overflow hose and lost coolant. My questions are:

What do you guys think happened to the coolant if not leaked internally? I looked at the areas mentioned above and didn't see anything out of the norm.

Should the radiator cap be replaced?

How much pressure would build up in radiator/cooling system because of this?

The coolant loss suggests a leak somewhere relieved whatever pressure did build up. I don't think there's a clamp on that hose, so if there was pressure behind it, the coolant might've just pushed its way out between the hose and the nipple. I doubt the rad cap would be damaged, but take a good look at the rubber seals on it to be sure they're not dried out and cracked.

Now that you've got the line clear, I'd just run it and see if it's still losing coolant.

Coolant cross over pipe on the back of the motor is a common source for leaks. Its a cast aluminum piece that connects water passages on both cylinder heads. Look for coolant on the bell housing and back side of the motor

• 4 weeks later...

This issue was still bugging me as of this morning since I did not see the coolant level rise or lower in the reservoir. I removed the end that is on radiator neck and blew on the hose. Nothing. It was definitely clogged. I grabbed a small tire inflator to push air though and still nothing. So I proceeded to pull off the headlight assembly and and loosen the reservoir enough to remove the hose. I got a peek inside and there was sludge. Looked like chewed up paper. I blew that out with the compressor and now it seems to be flowing back and forth. I've never had a clogged overflow hose and lost coolant. My questions are:

What do you guys think happened to the coolant if not leaked internally? I looked at the areas mentioned above and didn't see anything out of the norm.

Should the radiator cap be replaced?

How much pressure would build up in radiator/cooling system because of this?

Zdarova!
I had the same headache.
First, you have already photographed the leak: the upper part of the radiator.
You either need to change the upper radiator seal, or the radiator itself.
Article of sealant 21414-4P200
Analog radiator from 60 rubles and their articles: https://www.exist.ru/price.aspx?pid=32E02BD6&sr=75&Cat=Nissan
The acquaintance made a replacement two months ago. The permutation was made with the help of usual pliers.https://www.drive2.ru/l/487616090684260612/
If the hands grow from the right place, you can save 3-10 times and change only the gasket.