OEM RADIO UPGRADE

PATHFINDER95NI

Well the radio in my '99 is giving up the ghost, so I'm looking for a new head unit. I'm looking for OEM, aftermarket is too flashy and too many buttons. How much newer can I install before the harness plugs don't match? Anything?

Found this, originally for '05-'07 Fontier/Xterras. The plugs match the 1999 radio. The only problem is the orange backlighting. https://m.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-Xterra-Frontier-Rockford-Fosgate-Radio-6-Disc-Changer-MP3-CD-Player-AUX/172824848018?fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3ANissan&epid=566142261&hash=item283d29e692:g:BaMAAMXQaBRRjB~0

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also looking at pulling my OEM to replace it with a Pioner AVH-X390 to get Waze, Pandora & 2 Camera inputs (Backup & maybe an undercarriage cam). I have an '02 LE with the Double DIN 6CD Changer so I don't know that a double DIN will work for you. The CD player in my truck hasn't worked well when cold since the day it was made & now it would come with 6 permanent CDs as I don't think I've been able to get them to eject in 7-8 years! I Astrorami's doesn't come through, mine might be availble in a couple months.

• 3 months later...

I'm also looking at pulling my OEM to replace it with a Pioner AVH-X390 to get Waze, Pandora & 2 Camera inputs (Backup & maybe an undercarriage cam). I have an '02 LE with the Double DIN 6CD Changer so I don't know that a double DIN will work for you. The CD player in my truck hasn't worked well when cold since the day it was made & now it would come with 6 permanent CDs as I don't think I've been able to get them to eject in 7-8 years! I Astrorami's doesn't come through, mine might be availble in a couple months.

When I search for replacements on Crutchfield, it only shows single DIN. I have the Bose with 6 disc changer. Sure looks like double-DIN to me. What gives?

When I search for replacements on Crutchfield, it only shows single DIN. I have the Bose with 6 disc changer. Sure looks like double-DIN to me. What gives?

the shape?

If you have the CD changer you have s double DIN. Im replacing mine this month. I have all the adapters, etc. I just havent had time to work on it yet plus our weather has been bad - even for the PNW. Also, I literally just bought my replacement battery today.

If you have the CD changer you have s double DIN. Im replacing mine this month. I have all the adapters, etc. I just havent had time to work on it yet plus our weather has been bad - even for the PNW. Also, I literally just bought my replacement battery today.

Other than the steering wheel adapter, what adapter(s) do you need?

Also, what stereo did you go with?

Other than the steering wheel adapter, what adapter(s) do you need?

Also, what stereo did you go with?

Pioneer AVH-X391BHS $200 Total c Install & Warranty

picked it up on sale at BestBuy for $200 "installed" and with 3 or 4 year warranty. I'm either going to install it myself or let them install it and then add the microbypass. I will break down the center console myself either way as don't want them to damage it.

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface $35.28 Total

Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter $6.25 Total

MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers $13.98

Scosche Double Din Surround or something (can't find the receipt on that one as it wasn't from Amazon but it was <$10. I think Metra makes one too but the Scosche was supposedly better and I have found their cell phone & tablet magnetic mounts to be of superior quality.

Picked the AVH series over APP Radio 4 because it was cheaper & would allow 2 cameras whereas the APP radio only allows one

I intend to put in a reverse camera (which will need slack to rewire to my swingate once it's on) & possibly an undercarriage camera.

Thanks for the link and the pics. After seeing all the wiring, I think I will indeed take apart my center console & let the install guy do it. I've talked with him several times over the years as he walked me through some rewiring on my Mom's Jeep so I know he's actually a good installer. I'll just have to figure out where the micro bypass goes as I want that in case I decide to wire in some undercarriage lights. He's not allowed to wire it in but he might show me "where one might do it if one were to do it" so to speak. Personally, I'm looking forward to being able to use Waze & Pandora.

I think I am going to remove all the OEM (head unit, amps, speakers, speaker wire) and replace it. I hear running speaker wire to the doors is no easy task. :(

Let me know how that goes. I imagine my OEM speakers are near the end of their life as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed a single din yesterday evening. Pretty straight forward. Got everything I needed on eBay for less than $30. Kit, harness (w/bose interface bypass), and antenna harness.

No need to rip out all of the speakers and wiring if you get the correct harness. Unless of course you just want different speakers.

The system sounds better now than it ever has with the new head unit. Bose is one of the best, but for some reason the head unit in these limited the systems potential. After tweaking with the eq settings, I'm very pleased with sound.

I believe they sell double din kits too. Just have to search. May require a little trimming of the original housing though.

I went single din since I already had the head unit laying around.

I went with a double din in my 03 recently and it fits great, no trimming needed. I also used the adapter that allows you to retain the bose speakers and amp and it sounds really good.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
I think I am going to remove all the OEM (head unit, amps, speakers, speaker wire) and replace it. I hear running speaker wire to the doors is no easy task. Set_2_sad.gif
Is it necessary to rerun wire for the door speakers if you replace them with aftermarket ones if you have a bose system? I'm guessing it's the above posters preference to do so?
I didn't in my 96 r50 I had and the system was awesome, but was'nt a bose system. My 03 has the bose. Sounds great, but looking to put my old system in it to take it to the next level.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, 03TroutFinder said:

Is it necessary to rerun wire for the door speakers if you replace them with aftermarket ones if you have a bose system? I'm guessing it's the above posters preference to do so?
I didn't in my 96 r50 I had and the system was awesome, but was'nt a bose system. My 03 has the bose. Sounds great, but looking to put my old system in it to take it to the next level.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I have an 03 with bose, as well as aftermarket head unit and door speakers. You don’t need to run new wire you can use the existing wire. I cut out my bose amp so I didn’t have to mess with that side of things.

Edited by PathyDude17