Land Rover rear lift spring install

Bax03SE

I just checked mine and Im at 37 front 38 rear on ground to flair measurement. That matches up with Neilcas results pretty much spot on. We have about the same set up with spacers in front and LR coils in rear (keeping in mind I started with taller rear springs, but trimmed a coil off so the final length about matches the springs he used). Im on 33s and I think he has 31s so thats where the slight difference in height is comkng from between the two.

• Like 2

I just checked mine and Im at 37 front 38 rear on ground to flair measurement. That matches up with Neilcas results pretty much spot on. We have about the same set up with spacers in front and LR coils in rear (keeping in mind I started with taller rear springs, but trimmed a coil off so the final length about matches the springs he used). Im on 33s and I think he has 31s so thats where the slight difference in height is comkng from between the two.

I am running 31's so the math works out :aok:

• Like 2

I like the amount of lift you’re getting out of the rear but I’m not a fan of the rake. Wish there was something to do up front to match that lift in the rear to make it even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the amount of lift you’re getting out of the rear but I’m not a fan of the rake. Wish there was something to do up front to match that lift in the rear to make it even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not suggest lifting the front more than 2". The axle angle is pretty bad at 2" of lift. Perhaps a 2" sub frame drop in conjunction with lift to match the rear and help with the axle angle.

• Like 1

I would not suggest lifting the front more than 2". The axle angle is pretty bad at 2" of lift. Perhaps a 2" sub frame drop in conjunction with lift to match the rear and help with the axle angle.

Exactly, the issue isnt with being able to lift the front. There are plenty of ways to go a lot higher with springs and spacers. The problem is all in the CV angle. I have 2.5 inches on the front of mine and my CV angles are at the limit of what Im comfortable with. And I still put on manual hubs so I can disengage them to save wear and tear when 4wd isnt needed. To safely go beyond 2.5 inches in the front you pretty much have to do a subframe drop. Personally, Im happy enough with mine to not want to mess with the extra hassle of a sfd. I know some people dont like the rake in the back, but I like it for the functionality since I tow with mine and also carry people and gear in the back. I hate the look of a truck sagging in the rear when loaded. Edited by Bax03SE
  • Like 2

I drove the truck today. I like the way it feels, a lot less squishy in the turns. I am a road racer so, body roll in a turn kinda freaks me out. This thing handles really flat in turns now.

• Like 1

I finally got around to installing the Defender springs in my Pathfinder. To recap the springs I chose are 15" long and 175 lb/inch. I did not trim the springs and it lifted the truck 2.5". The truck is the same height as when I had stock springs and 2.5" spacers. I was hoping for 2". Perhaps over time they will sag to the height I wanted. Haven't driven it yet because I am doing other maintenance right now.

Do you remember the part number for this setup?

Love the efforts you both have made and thank you for sharing your findings. It benefits us all and is greatly appreciated.

So to recap, you went with Land Rover Defender front HD springs NRC9447 that provided a 2.5" lift after cutting 1 coil?

• Like 2

Love the efforts you both have made and thank you for sharing your findings. It benefits us all and is greatly appreciated.

So to recap, you went with Land Rover Defender front HD springs NRC9447 that provided a 2.5" lift after cutting 1 coil?

Absolutely! I hope this can help others.

Neilca and I used two different springs.

NRC9447 is a front spring, Defender 90, 175lb rate, 2.5 inches of lift with no cutting.

NRC9448 is a rear spring, Defender 90, 225lb rate, 4 inches of lift uncut, 3 inches with one coil cut.

Edited by Bax03SE
  • Like 3

After a quick look on the LRDirect website, it shows a range of brands for the NRC9448 part number, ranging from £12.5 to £72 ($16 to $96 USD). Which did you go with?

Edited by TowndawgR50

After a quick look on the LRDirect website, it shows a range of brands for the NRC9448 part number, ranging from £12.5 to £72 ($16 to $96 USD). Which did you go with?

I ordered the cheapest, which was Brit Part Brand. I figured if I was experimenting I may as well see how the cheapest option worked out. Im no coil spring expert, but they seem like a well made set of springs to me! I also found a few reviews on LR forums saying the Brit part springs actually held up better than oem Land Rover against sagging so that was good enough for me to give it a shot.

• Like 2

Perfect. Thank you!

Maybe place that exact info in the first post or make it a sticky so its not burried in the thread?

Good idea. For now, I added it to the spring dimensions thread that is pinned to the top of this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 9448's today. Very fast shipping. Really interested to see how they hold up to my 18ft toy hauler compared to my OME's. I suspect they won't peform as well off road unless I have a load of camp gear, passengers or dogs but I haul so often its worth the tradeoff if these pan out

• Like 2

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Been looking at different options myself since I use my pathy to tow periodically. I have the same setup you replaced on the rear, and I can't put hardly any weight in the rear without sag. And I replaced the springs with new like u did.

Which exact ones did you order. There seem to be several different variation (c8, z8, m8)?

I'm assuming the c8 since they are just over $80 with shipping to GA.

How long did they take to arrive?

I am running 2" spacers up front. The Defender springs gave me a 1 inch rake. Some people like that and when I tow the race car I am sure I will like it too. Not a big deal, I wanted to chronicle the results for anyone else looking to do this mod. My truck sits about like Bax03SE's.

I measured about 35" from the ground to the middle of the front flare. 36" ground to rear flare.

I'll be interested to see how that pans out for you. If it settles to a half inch or less, that sounds pretty good. I'll bet it does & then it will likely be 2" when towing or under heavy load. Keep us posted.

Thanks!

Looking a little deeper, I noticed the NRC9449 is the same overall height as the NRC9447 but has the heavier load rating of the NRC9448 at 225. The NRC9447 is 175, still much greater than the Pathy's stock springs.

I'm going to order the 9449's and give them a try since I want more load capacity. I will share my findings once I get them on.

Thanks again for sharing this info. Greatly appreciative to me and my wallet potentially!

• Like 1