Land Rover rear lift spring install

Bax03SE

Hey what lift do you have on your Pathy?
I am running 6" and looking for a good set of rear shock and looking at the ones you have.
Ome hd coils with 1 inch spacer and nrc9449s with 33 185569 shocks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, mandersen8 said:

So in the rear you are running Bilstein (33-185569?

He is, as am I, @micahfelker , and @jg1123, all paired with 9449’s (about 2.5-3” lift) or in Micah’s case 9448’s (about 4” lift)

they seem to allow for plenty of articulation 

FZwi9Pi.png

https://i.imgur.com/4JQfHaz.jpg

On 9/22/2019 at 10:05 AM, PathyDude17 said:

He is, as am I, @micahfelker , and @jg1123, all paired with 9449’s (about 2.5-3” lift) or in Micah’s case 9448’s (about 4” lift)

they seem to allow for plenty of articulation 

FZwi9Pi.png

https://i.imgur.com/4JQfHaz.jpg

Do you feel it would do the same with a 6" lift? I also do a far amount of rock crawling as well.

1 hour ago, mandersen8 said:

Stupid question but I am going to ask it anyways. For the Bilstein how should they be installed with the boot up or down? lol like I said stupid

Can be installed either way as they're monotube shocks. Take your pic. If it's a pre facelift then you want the shock body up to prevent interference with the panhard.

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiTerrano said:

Can be installed either way as they're monotone shocks. Take your pic. If it's a pre facelift then you want the shock body up to prevent interference with the panhard.

So mine is post facelift as it is a 02 but I had to do a drop on the panhard due to the lift

4 hours ago, mandersen8 said:

Stupid question but I am going to ask it anyways. For the Bilstein how should they be installed with the boot up or down? lol like I said stupid

Conventional wisdom says boot down, so that the boot drains and the seals are kept in good condition. I have mine mounted boot up cause I like seeing the body, and I’ve seen many Jeeps and trucks that way, but it’s not technically correct.

On 9/26/2019 at 5:44 PM, PathyDude17 said:

Conventional wisdom says boot down, so that the boot drains and the seals are kept in good condition. I have mine mounted boot up cause I like seeing the body, and I’ve seen many Jeeps and trucks that way, but it’s not technically correct.

I installed them boot down and man they are like night and day. My old ones were shot.

• Like 4

I have 9447 lr springs, love them. I have 2" spacers so 2.5" lift in the front and I keep blowing half shafts. Wondering if anyone has 1.5" spacers and are fine and haven't blow half shafts or did something like ome .6" springs with a 1" spacer. 4x4 is a ripoff on the 2" ac springs plus I need a shop to compress them. I'm on the fence about a 4" sfd and strut spacers, I have sfd blocks, strut spacers are $300, plus I need a steering extension for $200 and it's just gonna end up costing a ton and may not be the best daily driving setup. I'm fine with 31's or 32's for tires because I have the weaker differential and I don't think 33s would be a good idea. What do you guys think? Am Im fine doing 1.5" spacers with stock springs? I drive 50mph+ in 4wd in snow and that is the most important reason why I need to stop messing up half shafts making right turns into parking spaces. I make 1 turn to sharp and my halfshaft is messed up after that with 2" of spacer.  Is a 1" spacer considered max? That's why im thinking I take 1 of my 1" sf spacers off and get a ome med or light spring. What do you guys think, I'm all over the place.

Edited by bertrenolds

On 7/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, mvlzmarv said:

Thanks to everyone on this forum/thread. Here’s my first mod after 8 years of ownership

OME 2928
Fleury +1”
KYB GR2
KYB Strut mounts
OEM strut bearings

LR NRC9449
Bilstein 5125 (29”)

Before:
On old,tired, saggy and blown suspension
e898c86097508c7053d138257fe675ca.jpg
Loaded for camping and weighing in at 5480lbs
36617525900c96f04b5cf23340015827.jpg
After:
f32455bf550e7481023608ac410de3fc.jpg

No more rubbing on 265/65r17 at this height. But now I need more tire. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got ome heavy duty springs, could you compress them yourself with rental compressors or did a shop do it? Also what was your total lift upfront and have you jacked the tires off the ground and rotated them to see if there was and binding? Also why heavy duty springs over med, i don't think they provide more lift do they?

You got ome heavy duty springs, could you compress them yourself with rental compressors or did a shop do it? Also what was your total lift upfront and have you jacked the tires off the ground and rotated them to see if there was and binding? Also why heavy duty springs over med, i don't think they provide more lift do they?

You will need a heavy duty compressor for the ome springs and ac. 1.5” spacer on nissan factory springs is ok. OME or AC with spacers is a no-no unless your springs are completely broken in. Still, only a 1” spacer max.

11 minutes ago, bertrenolds said:

Yes, i rented a spring compressor from Autozone. Make sure that it is in good condition and isn't missing any washers. As for using the tool, take your time and switch sides every 5-10 turns to avoid binding. You have to compress the springs at least 5" IIRC.  

As for total lift, its at F: +2-7/8" R: +4-1/2" 

OE          Before        After

F:   31.26"      31"             33-7/8"
R:   31.89"      31-3/4"     36-1/4"

HD springs only provide higher spring rates, no additional lift.

On another note, I have more rake than i would like, now my headlights are pointed down and I'm at the limit of the QX4 electronic headlight adjustments. Been considering cutting off a coil to get closer to the OE rake.

@02_Pathy what is your rake measurement?

2 hours ago, R50JR said:

You will need a heavy duty compressor for the ome springs and ac. 1.5” spacer on nissan factory springs is ok. OME or AC with spacers is a no-no unless your springs are completely broken in. Still, only a 1” spacer max.

So 2" lift is max across the board, I keep reading people think ac springs are different than 2" spacers and put less stress/angle on halfshaft. 2" is 2", it will increase axel angle no matter what is how I feel. So you think my passenger halfshaft will be safe with a 1.5" spacer? I know a 2" spacer messes with the passenger side half shaft angle bad but not the drivers side for some weird reason. 

2 minutes ago, bertrenolds said:

So 2" lift is max across the board, I keep reading people think ac springs are different than 2" spacers and put less stress/angle on halfshaft. 2" is 2", it will increase axel angle no matter what is how I feel. So you think my passenger halfshaft will be safe with a 1.5" spacer? I know a 2" spacer messes with the passenger side half shaft angle bad but not the drivers side for some weird reason. 

There's additional suspension geometry to take into account.

• Like 2

No, you are incorrect. Any spring within the strut is safe regardless of lift. When you add a spacer it pushes strut down and out of normal geometry. The reason 1.5” spacer is ok with factory springs is because the spring is so soft and a 1.5” spacer lifts to about a strut with ome or ac spring without spacer

40 minutes ago, R50JR said:

No, you are incorrect. Any spring within the strut is safe regardless of lift. When you add a spacer it pushes strut down and out of normal geometry. The reason 1.5” spacer is ok with factory springs is because the spring is so soft and a 1.5” spacer lifts to about a strut with ome or ac spring without spacer

Ok thanks. So really it would be better to do a ome .5" lift springs like the 923 medium duty spring and a 1" spacer vs just a 1.5" spacer and stock spring? So basically the AC 2" spring is the best option and 4x4 has the market cornered on them with over priced shipping, unless they got better about shipping lately. 

Ok thanks. So really it would be better to do a ome .5" lift springs like the 923 medium duty spring and a 1" spacer vs just a 1.5" spacer and stock spring? So basically the AC 2" spring is the best option and 4x4 has the market cornered on them with over priced shipping, unless they got better about shipping lately. 

Do not use any spacer with brand new ome or ac springs!! You will bind and break them

52 minutes ago, R50JR said:

Do not use any spacer with brand new ome or ac springs!! You will bind and break them

Not a coil spacer, the spacer that sits ontop of the strut. Sfcreation spacers. What I'm thinking is the best option is 2"ac springs with a 1/2" strut tower spacer to level out the back with 9447 lr springs. It's just annoying you need a hydraulic spring compressor to put them in. Thats why I'm thinking ome med springs with a 1" thick spacer. I'm worried a 1.5" thick spacer is still gonna bind when i make harder turns into parking spots.

Edited by bertrenolds

Not a coil spacer, the spacer that sits ontop of the strut. Sfcreation spacers. What I'm thinking is the best option is 2"ac springs with a 1/2" strut tower spacer to level out the back with 9447 lr springs. It's just annoying you need a hydraulic spring compressor to put them in. Thats why I'm thinking ome med springs with a 1" thick spacer. I'm worried a 1.5" thick spacer is still gonna bind when i make harder turns into parking spots.

Again, DO NOT use any spacers with new ac or ome springs. DO NOT USE SPACERS!!

Did I mention DO NOT USE ANY SPACERS??

You will bind cv and break them.