Land Rover rear lift spring install

Bax03SE

45 minutes ago, 02_Pathy said:

Alright so to get this thread back on topic, as a recap I have the LR 9449's on and just put some Bilstein 33-185569 5125 shocks on the rear because they offered more travel as my old shocks (Bilstein 33-185552 5125's) were too short now. After a quick test up in the hills they weren't too long! Coils stayed put and didnt come out of the perch or were loose. I gained more articulation with the new shocks. Also note I still have the sway bar connected and extended brake lines. The breather tube still needs to be extended. So these shocks work with these coils, I also might add a 1 inch bumpstop on the bottom spring perch just to be safe. The snow picture is the same spot with the old shocks and new coils, the tire did come up from the ground.74eed3a6f68d1aeb0e6f153061e749bb.jpg3bb24115e619387e2e313f6699c4873f.jpgdc0c6b579520aa3f5235da2bfb948f74.jpgae83bd61db72569a7f9943524ad5c335.jpg1d2b91f4b6d9d71138c34153b9d3f286.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How are you finding the ride quality of the 9449 when unloaded in comparison to the OME? 

Edited by dezm
Typo
  • Like 1

How are you finding the ride quality of the 9449 when unloaded in comparison to the OME? 
After they settled they ride very nice, you can tell its firmer than the OME and after they settled some they are softer than brand new.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spicyheckboi said:

so do we think that shock would be good for at least 3” of rear lift, as in there too big for two inches of lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. 

From looking at the photo, it appears that on the compressed side, the shock is fully compressed but the axle is not sitting on the bumpstop, meaning you definitely need to extend the bumpstop. It also looks like you're about to get coil bind on the compressed side, again meaning you need to extend the bumpstop. 

Looks good overall though 

• Like 1

Yes. 

From looking at the photo, it appears that on the compressed side, the shock is fully compressed but the axle is not sitting on the bumpstop, meaning you definitely need to extend the bumpstop. It also looks like you're about to get coil bind on the compressed side, again meaning you need to extend the bumpstop. 

Looks good overall though 
Yup I'll be installing longer bump stops to prevent that and damaging the shock on full compression

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

xYBfn75.jpg

NRC9449 w/32” tires puts my rear at 37” for now. Maybe it’ll settle down to 36.5?

Damn! What are you running in the front?

Land Rover Springs and 5100's in the rear.  El cheapo struts and 2" spacers in the front, about to be replaced with KYB/OME HD and 1" spacers.  

irdCQeK.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dezm said:

For those of you who have extended your bump stops, how did you go about doing that? Just washers and longer bolts or?

Longer bolts (M8x1.25) and body lift spacers (3" diameter) is what I've heard being done.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Longer bolts (M8x1.25) and body lift spacers (3" diameter) is what I've heard being done.

I pulled bump stops off an old F250 at the JY, $3. They stacked nicely on top of my old bump stops. They’re about 1.5-2” longer. I would’ve used the top mounting location, but I snapped a bolt, so they’re anchored to the lower perch, which is probably functional but not ideal.

• Like 2

Just now, PathyDude17 said:

I pulled bump stops off an old F250 at the JY, $3. They stacked nicely on top of my old bump stops. They’re about 1.5-2” longer. I would’ve used the top mounting location, but I snapped a bolt, so they’re anchored to the lower perch, which is probably functional but not ideal.

Do you know what gen the truck was?  I bet they're pretty cheap even new online and would be a good bit of information for anybody looking for a good/cheap solution.

10 minutes ago, 02_Pathy said:

Here's my cheap and as a joke bumpstop, a hockey puck which works well bolted to the perch73579b09f6429b8c7241715935371291.jpg

I know somebody who heard about the hockey puck bumpstop trick and massively misunderstood...he just slipped 3 or 4 through the coil and leaves em loose.  :headwall:  Anyways...that's another good one, if done right!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, mjotrainbrain said:

I know somebody who heard about the hockey puck bumpstop trick and massively misunderstood...he just slipped 3 or 4 through the coil and leaves em loose.  :headwall:  Anyways...that's another good one, if done right!

I Know EXACTLY who that is lol. Jeep owners, am I right? As far as what model F250 they were, I can maybe go look, but it was just a frame left. I’m at the JY tomorrow pulling a part for someone else, so i’ll go check.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PathyDude17 said:

I Know EXACTLY who that is lol. Jeep owners, am I right? As far as what model F250 they were, I can maybe go look, but it was just a frame left. I’m at the JY tomorrow pulling a part for someone else, so i’ll go check.

I love that you know who it is haha. Clean build with the strangest butchery.

I assume they were front bumpstops?  Pretty sure those trucks are coil up front, but idk how many years back that's the case.

• Like 1

No, I think they were on the rear. Full size trucks have a different bump stop setup.

heres a picture of my dad’s F150, this is essentially what I pulled off the JY truck

t5adqrt.jpg

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Oh that's cool, looks pretty easy to grab!

1 bolt per side and you’re done, assuming it’s easy to access, which in my case it was. I saw them sitting nice and exposed on a naked frame, which is what gave me the idea in the first place

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LR 9448 springs (one coil removed) with Bilstein 5100's in the rear, KYB struts and OME springs in the front.  About 2.5" of lift.  

NqAnmDD.jpg

Edited by MLML
  • Like 3