Land Rover rear lift spring install

Bax03SE

I am wondering the same thing, nelica said if they had it to do over they would get the 9446 spring instead of the 9447 because they are a 1/2" shorter but I wonder if the shorter spring would sag the rear when loaded down. I'm trying to get rid of the sag and bottom out when loaded or towing. I think i am gonna go with 9447 since most are getting 2.5" of lift. What I wonder is if you need the rubber isolators that go on the actual spring? Springs might make noise on the bottom without them.

Nelica actually used the 9446 and the 9447 is the one that Micah used. the 9447 is .5 inches smaller than the 9446, but Nelica accidentally wrote he used the 9447. yeah confusing

2 minutes ago, joshrichard said:

Nelica actually used the 9446 and the 9447 is the one that Micah used. the 9447 is .5 inches smaller than the 9446, but Nelica accidentally wrote he used the 9447. yeah confusing

That settles it then, getting the 9447 from LRdirect.

Here is the summary I have to date. (BTW, I have the 9448s as I'm headed towards a 3-4" SFD - not put on yet. I'm pairing them with an ARB OME Heavy Duty Front setup-also not put on yet. I'll post when it's done. I re researched purchase options & LR Direct was still the best. I paid $85 on Fri 10/12 & got them in Eastside Seattle Mon 10/15.)

Land Rover Defender 90 Spring Summary

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

5” Inner Diameter

NRC9446 +2.5-3” (15Spring Ht) 0.5-1" rake c 2 front spacers

175# Spring Rate

LR 90 Defender-Front Driver

(0.5" longer than passenger)

NRC9447 +2-2.5" (Micah got 4")

175# Spring Rate

LR 90 Defender-Front Passenger

NRC9448 +4(Perfect c 4"SFD), cut one coil=3"

225# Spring Rate Blue”/Red

LR 90 Defender-RearRH

110 & 130 Heavy Duty-Front RH

$80 Delivered from UK

$84.49($32.92+$51.57) from

NRC9449 +2-2.5" (same Height as NRC9447)

225# Spring Rate (heavier Load than NRC9447)

1badqx4

9446: neilca(35"F/36"R c 31"tireMid Fender Ht)

9447: 19pathfinder99, MichaelAndrews,

micahfelker(37-37.5" c 31"tire, MD OME Springs, F=HD OME),

thehillboys (Bilstein 1525 shocks)

LR - 34 1/4" to 38 1/2" settled to 37.5" net 3 1/4"

RR-33 3/4" to 38" settled to 37.5" net 3 3/4"

Front 35” c Moog OEM Springs, KYB Struts & 1 1/2" spacer

LF - 32 1/2" to 35 net 2 1/2" (slightly uneven shop floor)

LR- 32" to 35 net 3"

Rake 2.5”

9448: hawairish, TowndawgR50, Bax03SE(37"F/38"R c 33"tire Mid Fender Ht-1 coil cut), drewp29

9449: 03Troutfinder (36.5" from 34", same ht as OEM Spring+2”spacer)

Order from LRdirect

Brands-few reviews on LR forums say Brit Part (c8) springs held up better than OEM Land Rover against sagging

Please let me know if there are any corrections that need to be made & take mid fender measurements at wheel center & fender as well as supply your wheel & tire size. Thanks!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, joshrichard said:

let us know height outcome!

If your going for as close to 2" your best option is NRC9447, they are $77 shipped. Otherwise you can get ac 2" lift springs for $180+shipping on 4x4parts.com which I doubt you wanna do. I am going with the NRC9447, the 9446 you were looking at would put you up even higher. NRC9447 will probably settle close to 2" so that would be your best bet. I was finally able to read everything without that stupid register tab taking up half the site.

What I am wondering is if the Nrc9449 which is 225# and the same length as the 9447 will sit higher because it's a heavier spring. It says it's 2-2.5" of lift so the same as 9447 but I find that hard to believe.
Can't answer if they sit higher than the 9447, but I got the 9449's due to the increased load capacity. The springs were the exact same overall height as stock springs with the 2.5" spacer, but the truck sits about 1.5" higher installed without the spacer since they don't sag.
There are pics somewhere on this thread showing the details from my install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’d pick OME over AC springs any day. Better ride, having used both MD and HD (current) options. They’re also cheaper than the AC springs, which have been reported and being too stiff and causing top-out.  AC sells both (the ~$167 options are the OME), but in general you’d also be better off finding them elsewhere for the same price and free shipping. 

• Like 2

I’d pick OME over AC springs any day. Better ride, having used both MD and HD (current) options. They’re also cheaper than the AC springs, which have been reported and being too stiff and causing top-out.  AC sells both (the ~$167 options are the OME), but in general you’d also be better off finding them elsewhere for the same price and free shipping. 

I’m having trouble finding these, do you have a link?

8 hours ago, joshrichard said:

I’m having trouble finding these, do you have a link?

You stumbled across them on your other reply; basically, AC masks brand names.  They sell OMEs (OME sets the retail price at around $167) for less than their house brand (I think they're the $180-something option), but you can't tell the difference, again, because of the brand name masking.  I'm not a fan of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hawairish said:

You stumbled across them on your other reply; basically, AC masks brand names.  They sell OMEs (OME sets the retail price at around $167) for less than their house brand (I think they're the $180-something option), but you can't tell the difference, again, because of the brand name masking.  I'm not a fan of it.

When I got my MD springs for all 4 corners, way back when, from AC, they arrived in plain brown boxes with 4x4parts.com (AC's site) tape on them. I was confused at first, after opening the boxes and finding all the springs had OME tags on them! Apparently they just took the springs out of the original packaging, put them in there own boxes and shipped them out. Seems like a waste to me, especially since they left the OME tags on!

Just a durability note on the OME/AC medium duty springs, I've got roughly 120k miles on mine and have begun to notice a slight bit of sagging. Not terrible, but noticable, more so in the front. The rears definitely don't hold weight like they used to either. Still far better than stock springs, and I certainly don't baby this "truck" either. Overall, I've been pleased with them, but if I didn't already have another set of OME MD rear springs in the garage, that I inherited from a former member several years ago, I'd be going with some LR flavor in the rear.

P.S. - when I do my suspension overhaul, I'll finally be installing your old, I mean gently used, OME shocks too! Lol

Edited by 01Pathmaker

I could only find those ones for 3/4 inch lift, is that the highest OME goes? i know they have a 1.75 on another website but i think those are 160 a piece if i’m not wrong?

7 minutes ago, 01Pathmaker said:

When I got my MD springs for all 4 corners, way back when, from AC, they arrived in plain brown boxes with 4x4parts.com (AC's site) tape on them. I was confused at first, after opening the boxes and finding all the springs had OME tags on them! Apparently they just took the springs out of the original packaging, put them in there own boxes and shipped them out. Seems like a waste to me, especially since they left the OME tags on!

Just a durability note on the OME/AC medium duty springs, I've got roughly 120k miles on mine and have begun to notice a slight bit of sagging. Not terrible, but noticable, more so in the front. The rears definitely don't hold weight like they used to either. Still far better than stock springs, and I certainly don't baby this "truck" either. Overall, I've been pleased with them, but if I didn't already have another set of OME MD rear springs in the garage, that I inherited from a former member several years ago, I'd be going with some LR flavor in the rear.

Same with the SuperPro bushings I bought from them.  Just came in plastic bags.

Agreed, I've been pleased with their durability, even after the years of use.  My take offs are still in the garage for a rainy day, I guess.

4 minutes ago, joshrichard said:

I could only find those ones for 3/4 inch lift, is that the highest OME goes? i know they have a 1.75 on another website but i think those are 160 a piece if i’m not wrong?

AFAIK, the $167 price for any OME springs is pretty normal.  The other thing is that OME marketed them for 15mm (0.59") of lift, but many have noted more...closer to 1.5"-2", and it totally depends on what all you're loaded up with.

Straight from OME catalogs:

OMESprings0.jpg

OMESprings.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, joshrichard said:

IIRC, both OME springs (HD & MD) are listed as a .75 gain, however if you read the "fine print", they do note that greater height will be had on vehicles without extra weight of bumpers, winches, etc. The 1.75 OME lift is done with MD rear springs, HD front springs & "trim packer", which is fancy terminology for a lift spacer.

• Like 1

Sourcing gear in MO will be tough. ARB OME price is pretty fixed no matter where you get it. 4WheelParts is one source out West. I think a good option for you is Desert Rat out of Phoenix, AZ. They have been around a long time and are reputable. Desert Rat will ship them to you free with no tax. I’m about to do OME up front & LR in the rear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

RustyQ and I are newbes on the forum. We just wanted to thank you for the amazing information and share the result of our recent lift based on the recommendations on here.

Front: OME HD springs, KYB strut, Moog strut mount(financial decision, no issues yet)

Rear: NRC 9447 springs, Bilstein 5125 shocks

Wheel: 245/75 R16 Duratracs on 16x7 steelies 

measurements from the ground to the top of wheel arch (inches)

Before                 After                

front L           31 1/2                  32 3/4              

front R           31 7/8                  33                     

rear L             32 1/2                  35 3/4             

rear R            32 3/4                  36 1/2                 

max front   1 1/4

max rear    3  3/4

Before

1309054829_IMG_07762.jpg.a77d938a8ba16e41d9ceeac459ea15ad.jpg

After

1725541885_IMG_13442.jpg.a1ca4b18c40ee2b64b432c38fce9b344.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Add one more to the successful Land Rover Defender spring install, here's my numbers:

Rear

Spring - Land Rover NRC9446 from LRDirect for $77.27 shipped to WA

Shock - KYB OEM replacement P/N 343379 from RockAuto

Front:

Strut - KYB OEM replacement P/N 335031 and 335030 from RockAuto

Strut mount/bearing/boot - KYB OEM replacement P/N SM5329 from RockAuto

Spring - ARB 2928 Old Man Emu Coil Spring P/N 2928 from Amazon

Sagging suspension:

RR: 31.25" (FSM spec: 33.31")

RL: 30.5"

FR: 32" (FSM spec: 32.09")

FL: 31.25"

Rake: -0.75" (FSM spec: 1.22")

New suspension:

RR:  34.875"
RL: 34.5"
FR: 33.25"
FL: 33.25"

Rake: 1.44"

Note: I had a shop assemble the front struts with the OME HD springs due to the increased compression required and subsequent sketchiness factor.

EOSEZR4.jpg

9hCMP9R.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! After reading through this thread I have a couple questions, hoping someone could clear them up for me.

What was the final verdict for which model number got the least amount of lift from the 9446/9447?

And for those of you who installed extended length Bilsteins along with the 9446/9447, did you also install extended brake lines?

Edited by dezm

On 4/16/2018 at 12:36 PM, hawairish said:

Ok, things are installed-ish, finally. I must've missed the part where the spring ID was close, but not quite, OE ID. It's like 4.9" vs 4.7" ID. Sits a little high (0.25"?) on the lower coil perch, and I needed to mill the inner seat of my coil spacers in order to re-use them.

Without my rear bumper on, the 9448's and 2" spacers netted about 3.25" lift over my previous setup w/ OME MD springs. As it sits right now, I need a 6.5" PHB drop to level the bar, suggesting these are good for about 4". Going to make a 6" drop bracket tonight and let a custom bumper bring it down a little more.

OME HDs up front lifted another 1.5" after bumper, winch, and skid installs. I'm cool with the 1.75" extra lift in the rear because the previous setup sagged a little in the rear, especially when loaded with family and gear. There's a bit of a rake unloaded, but it should sit nicely when it's loaded up. I have enough wheel clearance for my kids (4 and 5) to crawl atop the tire under the wheel wells now. Time to start wearing down these 32's faster...

Haven't taken it for a test drive yet, of course, because the PHB is disconnected. I've always liked the ride on the truck, but I could tell it was getting softer. Had to modify the rear KYB shocks to get them to fit, and hopefully that effort was worth it. Installing the springs this time around was a real pain.

I'll get some pics up once I'm able to get it out of the garage.

Will al LR springs need milled to install, or was it just the 9448 for some reason? 

*edit*

nevermind. Saw that they fit without milling 

Edited by Sjackson2