Land Rover rear lift spring install

Bax03SE

Ok, things are installed-ish, finally. I must've missed the part where the spring ID was close, but not quite, OE ID. It's like 4.9" vs 4.7" ID. Sits a little high (0.25"?) on the lower coil perch, and I needed to mill the inner seat of my coil spacers in order to re-use them.

Without my rear bumper on, the 9448's and 2" spacers netted about 3.25" lift over my previous setup w/ OME MD springs. As it sits right now, I need a 6.5" PHB drop to level the bar, suggesting these are good for about 4". Going to make a 6" drop bracket tonight and let a custom bumper bring it down a little more.

OME HDs up front lifted another 1.5" after bumper, winch, and skid installs. I'm cool with the 1.75" extra lift in the rear because the previous setup sagged a little in the rear, especially when loaded with family and gear. There's a bit of a rake unloaded, but it should sit nicely when it's loaded up. I have enough wheel clearance for my kids (4 and 5) to crawl atop the tire under the wheel wells now. Time to start wearing down these 32's faster...

Haven't taken it for a test drive yet, of course, because the PHB is disconnected. I've always liked the ride on the truck, but I could tell it was getting softer. Had to modify the rear KYB shocks to get them to fit, and hopefully that effort was worth it. Installing the springs this time around was a real pain.

I'll get some pics up once I'm able to get it out of the garage.

• Like 3

Got mine in. They fit great. Not sure how much lift I got over what I had before.

VCM8n9p.jpg

I rode in TownDawgR50s rig a week ago both on pavement & with a notable off-road workout. I was very impressed with the tightness of the ride, without being harsh. Admittedly Im comparing it to my 106K OEM setup but it really felt great. I had worried that 6 of lift would make it feel kind of sloppy. Not at all. I do expect that it doesnt hurt that he has kept his anti-sway bars. That day has convinced me that 6 isnt unreasonable at all. Along with his Lokka, that truck is a monster with finesse. Great fun too!

• Like 3

After 250 miles with them the results are good. Like Raingoat mentioned, our drive out to Tahuya which was a break in/ test run went great.

I feel its important to mention when I installed the rear springs it was part of a complete suspension overhaul so its hard to gauge what the springs brought to the equation.

Old setup-

low mileage KYB struts+OME HD and low mile OEM bushings up front with OME MD+ Bilstien 5100's, OEM high mileage bushings and airbags in the rear

New Setup

Front-KYB struts+OME HD and complete Polyurethane bushing swap

Rear-LR 9448 on 2" spacers with Bilstein 5160's, polyurethane on the new adjustable upper trailing arms and extended OEM swaybar links

Haven't hooked the trailer up yet to guage load handling but I suspect it will be just about right or slightly raked. 225lbs over the OME MD 170lbs has my hopes high for a great balance of hauling and off road performance.

Off road flex was fantastic. Full flex with tuck wasnt hard and the springs allowed the truck to hook up great in the mud and on rocks without feeling harsh despite the full polyurethane setup.

I ran the rig through a alternating whoop section and it lifts a little in the front before full flex but we had a minimal load in the rear of tools and 1 dog so I suspect with a 3 day weekend worth of camp gear and 4 dogs it will be fine.

Overall they are the best bang for the buck next to the Lokka so far. 2 big thumbs up. Ill report back after 1k or so of trail and road time.

• Like 2

So, looks like the springs do end up seating fine on the lower perch. Maybe I over-thought it because of the work required to get my spacers to fit into the spring.

Still haven't pulled it out of the garage for a test drive! Just finished the PHB drop tonight...what a pain this has all been.

• Like 2

Did a moderate to high speed run on some local FS roads near my place with Ferrariowner123 this weekend.

9448 springs handle the rough terrain at speed very well. Not too stiff to rattle the truck apart but still handled large ruts and holes great and held the truck firm and upright in cornering without feeling like the rear would break loose.

So far they are worth every penny of the 80 bucks it took to getm to my door

Load test with my trailer is next

• Like 2

You guys need to stop talking about how great these springs are, I don't need to redo my rear suspension again!

Glad they're working out for y'all, when I need a little more rear height to compensate for a bumper this is the route I'll be going.

• Like 1

Used mine this weekend for another towing trip. With a lightly loaded trailer (maybe 1700 lbs total), 3 kids across the backseat, and the back filled with luggage and a cooler it sat just a little under level and road fine. The stock springs would have just about bottomed out with that same load.

• Like 3

Ran a trail over the weekend, plus the 4 hrs of highway there and back...results were good. I think having a proper PHB drop enabled some body roll, as there's a little more than I remember with the previous setup. But overall, the ride was comfortable, yet firm for both highway and trail. Definitely seemed to handle the trail well, without bottoming out. Of course, this was a full shock, strut, and spring replacement, so I expected improvements at all corners.

• Like 3

Used mine this weekend for another towing trip. With a lightly loaded trailer (maybe 1700 lbs total), 3 kids across the backseat, and the back filled with luggage and a cooler it sat just a little under level and road fine. The stock springs would have just about bottomed out with that same load.

what do you think your tounge weight was? I feel like that factor is going to make or break these 9448's for me. I need to make a beefy drop hitch before I can hook up and try it out.

• Like 1

21683484f77a959be940fe933d911666.jpg

Here’s the drop hitch I’m using, got it from Lowe’s. I think it’s a 7.5 inch drop? I like that it gets the trailer almost level, but it’s a little loose in the receiver so it makes the whole rig feel a bit more clunky and pulls a bit over bumps. I have a 5 inch drop hitch that I may go back to next time even though it makes the trailer ride a little nose up, because it fits the receiver tighter and makes for a more stable ride overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I rode in TownDawgR50s rig a week ago both on pavement & with a notable off-road workout. I was very impressed with the tightness of the ride, without being harsh. Admittedly Im comparing it to my 106K OEM setup but it really felt great. I had worried that 6 of lift would make it feel kind of sloppy. Not at all. I do expect that it doesnt hurt that he has kept his anti-sway bars. That day has convinced me that 6 isnt unreasonable at all. Along with his Lokka, that truck is a monster with finesse. Great fun too!

Noticed the same quality ride with my recent ride along as well.

-Kyle

• Like 2

First large haul today. Estimating 3-400lbs of wet, fresh cut cherry wood. Not really sure what the weight was but the springs had minimal droop. Felt it in braking and hill climbs though. Pretty good load.

unloaded

LfguXpV.jpg

partial load

KWELx07.jpg

Loaded

6jIswhj.jpg

• Like 8

installed model 9449 same height as ac could and 2 inch spacer kit. ride is a lot better feeling . I was expecting more lift but got the same could be due to custom made tire and gas can swing out. that I want to post pics of but am not to fancy with the laptop to post on here to share

installed model 9449 same height as ac could and 2 inch spacer kit. ride is a lot better feeling . I was expecting more lift but got the same could be due to custom made tire and gas can swing out. that I want to post pics of but am not to fancy with the laptop to post on here to share

Thanks for the post. I think you are the first to put on the 9449s. Just for clarity, are you getting about 4” (equal to your prior 2” from AC lift & 2” spacer)? That would be consistent with the ~4” lift the 9447s gave Micahfelker.

I wasn’t sure if the 225# spring rate, vs the 175# of the 9447s, might mean they compressed less & were consequently taller once mounted under vehicle weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

the 9449 are really nice, I think they ride smooth. I'm used to driving big machinery these days so when I drive the qx its pretty comfy. the misses also says the ride is nice since the swap.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is an awesome thread that inspires me.  I replaced my front struts and rear shocks about 80k ago or so.  I keep the OE springs.  Now I'm at 200k and sagging a good bit I assume.  With a load the hitch is almost on the ground.  In fact I'm sitting at 31.5" from the ground to the front fender flare, 30.5" in the rear, and 28" tires.  I was parked on an incline so those numbers may be a little off, but stock is 32.09" in the front and 33.31" in the rear.  Looks like I'm sagging a couple of inches all around.

I'd love to give a lift and run some bigger tires, nothing crazy but a little something. It would take 2" to reach stock height and then maybe I go another 2" after that.  That would be 4" total.  Would 2" over stock cause me to have to worry about damage to the axles, extending brake lines, or any of that extreme stuff. 

Sounds like NRC9448 would give me about 4" lift in the rear, right?  OR, would that give me a 6" lift from where I am now with my sag?

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.50.30 PM.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlabamaDan said:

Would 2" over stock cause me to have to worry about damage to the axles, extending brake lines, or any of that extreme stuff. 

Sounds like NRC9448 would give me about 4" lift in the rear, right?  OR, would that give me a 6" lift from where I am now with my sag?

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 11.50.30 PM.png

The 9448 will give you 4" over stock. 

If you're looking for 2 inches I'd reccomend using springs all around. 2" up front will potentially cause binding in the CV axles up front. Some have noted its dependent on CV brand so its a gamble. 

• 1 month later...

I can’t decide whether to go with 9447 or 9446. I would like to be level with 2 lift in the front, although i wouldn’t necessarily mind some rake. I just want to know what springs would be the closest to 2 inches. I read that the 9447’s are .5 inches shorter yet Micah got 4 inches? thank you!

On 10/22/2018 at 12:27 PM, joshrichard said:

I can’t decide whether to go with 9447 or 9446. I would like to be level with 2 lift in the front, although i wouldn’t necessarily mind some rake. I just want to know what springs would be the closest to 2 inches. I read that the 9447’s are .5 inches shorter yet Micah got 4 inches? thank you!

I am wondering the same thing, nelica said if they had it to do over they would get the 9446 spring instead of the 9447 because they are a 1/2" shorter but I wonder if the shorter spring would sag the rear when loaded down. I'm trying to get rid of the sag and bottom out when loaded or towing. I think i am gonna go with 9447 since most are getting 2.5" of lift. What I wonder is if you need the rubber isolators that go on the actual spring? Springs might make noise on the bottom without them.