Still getting poor fuel mileage

tthomasd614

Hey all, I posted about a month ago I was getting about 14mpg in my pathy. I realized the knock sensor was throwing a code so I relocated that. Still getting poor fuel mileage. About the same. Anything I can do other than not drive it to improve fuel economy? Thanks.

96 pathfinder SE 4wd 5spd manual 3.3l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manual locking hubs should help. Honestly though, these things just don't get good fuel economy. That being said, I average 14 in the summer with 32's and a roofrack, so if you're stock you should be able to do a bit better, especially with the manual. Depends a lot on how you drive and the type of driving too though. When were the plugs, fuel filter, etc. last changed? When my dad changed all that stuff on his Taurus (115,000 miles on the original parts) he picked up like 6mpg. You won't see that much gain in a Pathy, but a good ol' tune up may help.

What have you done to your rig? Lift, bigger tires, wider tires?

I have a 95 4x4 5 speed, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, stock 31" tires. I get about 17mpg. I don't drive it like I stole it.

I shift at around 4000k rpm's. When do you shift? Do you lug it? I mean shift at low rpm's? Max torque is around 3800k rpm's.

If the ECU thinks the engine's knocking, it's probably detuning the crap out of it. Or if the engine is knocking, the fuel mix could be out of whack. Check the plugs, check the O2 sensor, clean the MAF, see if you can find anything obvious that would be throwing it off.