Arizona 2001Infiniti QX4 Build

gaps18

Hey Everyone! I decided to make my own thread and document my new QX4 and the upgrades I want to or have done. Hopefully this will help me not hijack anyone elses threads! Thank you for the input and information that you have already put out there, I really appreciate it! So a little about the new ride. It is a 2001 QX4 that had 2 previous owners, zero accidents, and only 98,000 miles on it when I bought it. Hopefully the pictures come through ok....

I use postphoto.org. I've heard you can also is imgur. You need the direct link to paste into the pictures pop-up when making a post.

I’m using Tapatalk now, let’s see if this works...4da6af86eb84561c9fa4074b36fb457a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice looking truck!

Thank you! I can’t wait for next Tuesday when the new wheels and tires are getting installed.

Pictures work now! Looks good, no visible body rust is always a plus! How solid are those running boards? They like to rust out.

It has been in AZ 99% of its life so there is virtually zero rust. I don't really like the running boards but my little girls use them to get in. I use them to reach the top of the vehicle and they hold me up pretty solid, I weigh 220lbs. I may take them off in the futrure though. The inside I think looks better than the outside, its in great shape. I'll post some pics shortly...

So I am getting some 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs put on some MB 352 Wheels and I anticipate I'll have to do some trimming which I'm ok with. Besides clearing the strut, anything else I should look for/be concerned about? TIA

Nothing else significant, since you already say you're OK with some trimming. It might be more than a little trimming with now lift though. I have over 2.5+ inches of lift with 32" tires and still had to trim a little.

• Like 1

Ok so they put the new tires and wheels on my QX4 and they were too big! They looked great but when turning the tire would rub the front bumper. The setup was Goodyear Duratrac 265/75/16 on a MB 352 Wheel that had a -6 offset. This setup was a 31.6" diameter and stock is 29.5. I plan on keeping the MB wheel but changing the tire size. Or should I go with a wheel that doesn't have such an offset?

MY GOAL here is to go as tall of a tire as I can without having to lift or level the vehicle, I'm not really concerned with the width of the tire. I don't mind trimming the plastic in the wheel well but I don't want to trim the bumper. So the next size I am going to try tomorrow is the Goodyear Duratrac 245/75/16 which is 30.5".

Any input/opinions/experience/recommendations is welcome!

Thanks!

245/75/16 will generally fit without rubbing on stock wheels which have a 20mm offset, but the -6 offset you have may make it an issue. Especially in the lower front bumper, anytime you push the wheel out further with a lower offset like that it starts getting really close to the bumper when turning.

• Like 1

You may also have clearance issues with the fender flares in the rear when flexing, although it was only a problem for me where the quarter panel is rusted and the flare separated; it holds strong everywhere else. For daily use it should be fine, unless as Bax03SE mentioned you have issues with rubbing the bumper when turning. If you do though it should be pretty minimal.

• Like 1

One thing you didn't mention was the width of the new wheels? Since they're aftermarket, I'm assuming they are 16x8? If that is correct, then the extra offset combined with the wider rim (stock is 16x7 I believe) means the outer edge of your rim/tire is sticking out 38mm further than before, which is 1.5 inches. That's basically the same as the set up I used to be running, which was 245/75/16 mounted on the stock 16x7's but with a 1.5" spacer, and that combination required trimming on the bumper even with 2.5 inches of lift. It really is the wheel size/offset that makes a difference with rubbing up front when turning.

I know you don't want to trim the bumper, but you may want to give that a second thought? The bumper is very easy to trim, and if you take your time you can make it look nice and clean so nobody would ever know unless they compared it to a stock bumper side by side. Just a thought. Or if you really don't want to trim, 245/75/16 will fit on your stock rims just fine without hitting the strut, and will also tuck back into the wheel well so you shouldn't hit anywhere.

BTW, A great online tool for figuring out wheel and tire combinations is willtheyfit.com. It lets you plug in different wheel and tire sizes and adjust for rim width and offset to compare how different combinations will work. I used it a lot when figuring out how to go about fitting 33's with a relatively small lift and it was a huge help.

• Like 1

One thing you didn't mention was the width of the new wheels? Since they're aftermarket, I'm assuming they are 16x8? If that is correct, then the extra offset combined with the wider rim (stock is 16x7 I believe) means the outer edge of your rim/tire is sticking out 38mm further than before, which is 1.5 inches. That's basically the same as the set up I used to be running, which was 245/75/16 mounted on the stock 16x7's but with a 1.5" spacer, and that combination required trimming on the bumper even with 2.5 inches of lift. It really is the wheel size/offset that makes a difference with rubbing up front when turning.

I know you don't want to trim the bumper, but you may want to give that a second thought? The bumper is very easy to trim, and if you take your time you can make it look nice and clean so nobody would ever know unless they compared it to a stock bumper side by side. Just a thought. Or if you really don't want to trim, 245/75/16 will fit on your stock rims just fine without hitting the strut, and will also tuck back into the wheel well so you shouldn't hit anywhere.

BTW, A great online tool for figuring out wheel and tire combinations is willtheyfit.com. It lets you plug in different wheel and tire sizes and adjust for rim width and offset to compare how different combinations will work. I used it a lot when figuring out how to go about fitting 33's with a relatively small lift and it was a huge help.

Thank You for ALL of the info, I appreciate it!!!

Tires just went on and they look good so far, we will see how they drive/rub...

• Like 1

What an improvement, looks great! I like the color too - is that green??

Thank you. The color isn't bad, but not great either. Wish it was black like yours! It is green. Depending on how the light hits it it can look brownish. It's not my favorite but I'll take it because of how clean the vehicle is.

Thank you. The color isn't bad, but not great either. Wish it was black like yours! It is green. Depending on how the light hits it it can look brownish. It's not my favorite but I'll take it because of how clean the vehicle is.

Black is an awesome color, but I feel like it blends in with all the other boring cars too much. The Infiniti's had a lot of strange color options, not sure if any of them are really amazing in my opinion, haha.

• Like 2