Windshield Wiper is Randomly intermittent when in intermittent

gamellott

Well... As the subject states, the wipers are random when intermittent. When I initially put it in that position, it does nothing for a few seconds and it may or may not start working, where it used to start right up. It works fine in the other 2 positions. I would think I had "Auto" wipers like in my wife's new beast, but NO!! Has anyone had any experience troubleshooting this in the past or is it just a matter of swapping out the motor? I have done a little bit of looking around and I see where there is some kind of Wiper Amplifier somewhere in the back. Is that something that affects this or is it another random part on the chassis that no one messes with?

Doesn't sound like the motor's on the fritz if it works fine in the other positions. My first thought is the wiper switch. My second thought is that IIRC that tan box on the motor has something to do with the intermittent function. Look it up in the manual (should be in body or electrical, if I had to guess) to see what all is involved with that circuit, then have a poke at it with the meter to see if the contact in the switch is getting weak or the little box is getting flaky.

I want to say that wiper amp in the back is for the rear wiper, but don't take my word for it.

• Like 1

I'm with ya, I don't think the motor is bad. I managed to do a little more research after I posted this and I managed to figure out where the timer was (The Tan Box you mention, that's no longer available from Nissan). I managed to take the timer apart today; No burned resistors or blown capacitors. There is a solid state transistor on it that might be failing. I'm pretty sure that's the culprit, but it's not like I can swap it out with a known good one from the dealer. I'll have to take apart the steering column in order to see if the variable speed control has a bad rheostat, and that's about to fall apart and I'm not so excited to tear into that just yet.... Off to figure out other electrical issues...

If the transistor in the intermittent box was going out, I'd expect the intermittent function to not work at all (either no movement of the wipers or no delay between wipes). The switch sounds like a more likely candidate, especially if the box looks alright. I haven't studied the circuit diagram but if there's a wire to the tan box that goes live when you put the stick to intermittent, I'd check that first, make sure it goes live when it's supposed to.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing the schematic for the timer itself. If I'm thinking of a component level repair, I'll need it so I can figure out how the circuit works and assist in what to replace if necessary. I would guess that there's a 2 page tech manual on how it works somewhere....

But, as you mention, check to make sure that the switch is good as well.