oem Parts Timing Belt

CarolinaOwner

I am a relatively new member. I searched the forums for information on replacing the timing belt, etc on my 1994 Pathfinder. One of the older posts recommended a member with username Alkorahil as a source for advice and for original Nissan parts.

I haven't been able to contact him. Perhaps he will see this post but he may no longer be active.

Therefore does anyone know of another member who is also a parts vendor that they can personally recommend for Nissan parts? Or should I not worry about that and just buy online?

Thanks,

Richard in SC

I am a relatively new member. I searched the forums for information on replacing the timing belt, etc on my 1994 Pathfinder. One of the older posts recommended a member with username Alkorahil as a source for advice and for original Nissan parts.

I haven't been able to contact him. Perhaps he will see this post but he may no longer be active.

Therefore does anyone know of another member who is also a parts vendor that they can personally recommend for Nissan parts? Or should I not worry about that and just buy online?

Thanks,

Richard in SC

Unfortunately he no longer works there from I last read. You would be fine with gates timing belt kit. Rockauto has great prices and discounts codes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I've had no issues going with a Gates Timing belt. Having sold Auto Parts in the past, that's what I would recommend. You get what you pay for in that department. When I did that, I goobered up my crankshaft sprocket when I was replacing the seal; I didn't care for the aftermarket pulleys available, so I went to Nissan for that. Some aftermarket parts aren't worth the powder to blow them up, but some are just as good and cheaper than OEM.

If you go aftermarket, frequently, what's in the box isn't exactly what is shown in a picture and you're better off going to the store to see what you're getting before you pay for it.

I have a Gates kit on mine. The belt and tensioner seemed to be quality. The water pump IS CHINESE, but was a cast impeller vs. the stamped steel sheet impeller on the one that came out, which was also a Chinese make (obviously cheaper than my replacement, and the one the PO put in failed after 80k miles in the truck)

I am not worried about the one in my truck ATM, but honestly I'll be lucky to get another 60k on this truck with the way I treat it.

Whatever cheap POS the previous owner installed some 80k miles before I got it was garbage and wound up weeping coolant and eventually wobbling itself almost free while I was wheeling in the woods. Gates may ship with Chinese components, but they are at least higher quality Chinese parts.

Thanks to the four members who had advice. Between the four of you it was really clear how to proceed. Thanks again. I'll have a few more questions and I'll post under new topics if I can't find answers in your archives. You guys have some really interesting reading !

• Like 1