1989 Pathfinder with no reverse..Help needed

david27856

In need of some help! So bought a 1989 Pathfinder 5 speed manual off a bloke that had told me he took it for a swim and since then no reverse. Didn't think it would be too hard to work out as my father inlaw just rebuilt his pathfinder motor from scratch. Will say don't know much about nissans only ever owned holdens. So have taken shifter off and what looks like dirty water dripping from it so have drained it all but still no reverse. All other gears working fine. Not sure if its a factor in this problem but it was originally auto and he changed it all over to manual. Any suggestions please as the Mrs's is ready to call wreckers!!

Hmm. No reverse after flooding is an odd one. Does the stick not go into reverse at all, or does it slot in but nothing happens? I'm guessing you would've noticed if the fluid you drained had chunks in it. My first check would be for something simple/external, like a stick jammed between the trans and the body binding up the shifter, or a loose trans mount allowing the trans to budge sideways until the shifter's hitting the body (especially if the guy who manual swapped it cut his own shifter hole). If there's nothing external binding it, and it just won't go into reverse, I'd bet that the last guy let it sit for a while with the trans full of water and something's corroded and stuck inside.

If it's going into position, but not catching anything, there's definitely something wrong internally. Possibly the last guy panicked and went full gorilla on it trying to get it out of the water and broke something. I wouldn't waste money putting new fluids into a box that needs to come apart anyway.