Moving To New Servers!
Members interested in helping test the new NPORA server platform, please contact RedPath88 via PM or email for further information.

Thank you,
-NPORA

Photo

Full size spare rim smaller than the rest of my wheels

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Backpacker

Backpacker

NPORA Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Local time: 03:13 AM
  • Model:SE
  • Year:1989

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:24 PM

What gives! I have steelies but they are Nissan branded, I'm not sure if they came with the pathfinders originally or where they are from. But since getting 31x10.5r15 I finally took my spare over to the tire shop to have a 31 my buddy gave me mounted to the spare, but they couldn't get it to seat. I assumed they Rim was the same since it looked similar and was a full size spare, but turns out it's a 15x5.5 instead of the 15x6 that are on the truck.

What's the point of a narrower spare if it's running the same size tire as the rest of the wheels? I don't get it. Now I have to buy one from the junk yard and hope I can find a match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 OFFLINE   RCWD21

RCWD21

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Local time: 05:13 AM
  • Year:1987

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

What I've found is that the spare is the same height but a skinnier width. Not really sure why, my guess is it's "a spare" and at the time they didn't think people would be running around with a 5th matching tire and probably to keep costs down in some way both for the factory and consumer. My 2001 frontier has 16" aluminium wheels with a steel 15" spare, It's the same overall size though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#3 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 AM
  • Year:1993

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:35 AM

The factory spare for WD21s was also smaller in diameter (if the truck came with 31x10.5, anyway, never checked against the smaller tire size because mine didn't come with those). A 31x10.5 fit my spare rim just fine. That said, I've seen different stock steel wheels on the 2-door rigs, so maybe the spare was different too.

#4 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 AM
  • Year:1993

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

Rockauto shows the spare rim as 15x5, compared to Legos at 15x7.

#5 OFFLINE   SpecialWarr

SpecialWarr

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Year:1990

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:31 AM

What gives! I have steelies but they are Nissan branded, I'm not sure if they came with the pathfinders originally or where they are from. But since getting 31x10.5r15 I finally took my spare over to the tire shop to have a 31 my buddy gave me mounted to the spare, but they couldn't get it to seat. I assumed they Rim was the same since it looked similar and was a full size spare, but turns out it's a 15x5.5 instead of the 15x6 that are on the truck.

What's the point of a narrower spare if it's running the same size tire as the rest of the wheels? I don't get it. Now I have to buy one from the junk yard and hope I can find a match.

The spare was matched to the XE which came with 235/75 R15s and since all vehicles came with a spare on a steel rim it is considerably less expensive to specify a wheel and tire combo you already have in stock than spec something else. ANNNND you can charge a premium for a matching alloy rim as a spare!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   adamzan

adamzan

Hi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,540 posts
  • Year:1994

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

My 95 came with a 31" spare on the wheel. I have the receipt from Nissan in 1995 when the original owner bought it. They did have to pay extra.

#7 OFFLINE   Backpacker

Backpacker

NPORA Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

What I've found is that the spare is the same height but a skinnier width. Not really sure why, my guess is it's "a spare" and at the time they didn't think people would be running around with a 5th matching tire and probably to keep costs down in some way both for the factory and consumer. My 2001 frontier has 16" aluminium wheels with a steel 15" spare, It's the same overall size though.

oh duh. It went right over my head that the original tires were different. There was a full size wrangler tire on it that matched the rest so I assumed the original was matching in size too. That makes sense though. But even still it would seem with a rear tire carrier and the ease that comes with it for removing the tire, that they would have put a full size so you can rotate the spare as you rotate the rest of the tires and it not looking funny with a slimmer tire on the truck for that long.

#8 OFFLINE   RCWD21

RCWD21

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Year:1987

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

oh duh. It went right over my head that the original tires were different. There was a full size wrangler tire on it that matched the rest so I assumed the original was matching in size too. That makes sense though. But even still it would seem with a rear tire carrier and the ease that comes with it for removing the tire, that they would have put a full size so you can rotate the spare as you rotate the rest of the tires and it not looking funny with a slimmer tire on the truck for that long.

I feel the same way. When I find an original spare on a JY pathy it makes me laugh because some of them look so small. Good thing I can get a regular size wheel for like $20 around here so a full size spare would be easy to do. I find chrome steelies all the time around here, I have yet to find any Lego wheels except the 4 I already have. But they're now on my dad's d21

#9 OFFLINE   Backpacker

Backpacker

NPORA Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

I feel the same way. When I find an original spare on a JY pathy it makes me laugh because some of them look so small. Good thing I can get a regular size wheel for like $20 around here so a full size spare would be easy to do. I find chrome steelies all the time around here, I have yet to find any Lego wheels except the 4 I already have. But they're now on my dad's d21

shouldn't be a problem for me. There's tons of d21's in my local yards with the same steelies, I can probably get one for very cheap

#10 OFFLINE   Pav

Pav

NPORA Fulltime Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Year:1995

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:36 AM

If you can find steel rims from a first generation Xterra their rims were 15x7 and perfect for mounting a 31.  I gave a set away to SpecialWarr so he can confirm.

#11 OFFLINE   Backpacker

Backpacker

NPORA Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

If you can find steel rims from a first generation Xterra their rims were 15x7 and perfect for mounting a 31.  I gave a set away to SpecialWarr so he can confirm.

I'll keep an eye out. Any pros to running a wider rim? I do like the look of the tires slightly ballooned out. Are the xterra rims the same back spacing? I think the truck would look a lot nicer with a slightly wider stance. I took the flares off because I just hated the look and perception it gave with the tires a couple inches recessed into them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA