Best OEM Replacement Headlights?

DarekG

Anyone have opinions on the best drop-in replacements for headlights for a 2001 3.5L SE?

All I have to go off of is the vendor's themselves and according to them, they're all the greatest.

My headlights currently barely illuminate 15ft in front of me, the highbeams barely break 20ft.

• Like 1

Are the lenses cloudy? You can purchase a headlight restoration kit, which helps restore the clarity of the headlamp plastic. You can also replace the bulbs with newer ones or those which have a higher color temperature.

• Like 1

I also suggest taking care of the lenses you've got first. Cheapest option. ChrisFix did an awesome video on it, which I'll link at the end. Mine are extremely bright though, were HID's unique to the Infiniti model?

• Like 1

100% drop in replacement is halogen. I hate Sylvania, I feel like they burn out too fast. I use the cheapest part store non Sylvania option, generally Ecko, and feel like the light is as good and they last longer.

But I had the same problem as you wanting something better. I've done the light polishing which worked great, but was cloudy again in 6 months.

You can also do HID and LED. Both bulbs are physically drop in replacement without modification to your lens housing, but with HID there is a small amp box you'd need to mount. I haven't tried LED.

I love my HID lights. On low beam I get better light than old high beam, and I haven't been flashed to indicate they bother other drivers. They have halogens for high beams for legality, but in practice the high beam is dimmer than low beam. I picked one step hotter than halogen, 3000K, but not the very hot white blue color. They were about $50 and supposed to last 10 times longer.

If you are interested, I can look up the Amazon link to them.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

100% drop in replacement is halogen. I hate Sylvania, I feel like they burn out too fast. I use the cheapest part store non Sylvania option, generally Ecko, and feel like the light is as good and they last longer.

But I had the same problem as you wanting something better. I've done the light polishing which worked great, but was cloudy again in 6 months.

You can also do HID and LED. Both bulbs are physically drop in replacement without modification to your lens housing, but with HID there is a small amp box you'd need to mount. I haven't tried LED.

I love my HID lights. On low beam I get better light than old high beam, and I haven't been flashed to indicate they bother other drivers. They have halogens for high beams for legality, but in practice the high beam is dimmer than low beam. I picked one step hotter than halogen, 3000K, but not the very hot white blue color. They were about $50 and supposed to last 10 times longer.

If you are interested, I can look up the Amazon link to them.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

I've used PIAA 4100K Xtra bulbs for about 15 yrs & >80K. They cost a bit ~$70 but give great light & last a long time. I totally agree with the comment regarding Sylvannia-I used them in my sedan & they burnt out more than 2 to 1 to the PIAA. Despite significant off road use in AZ the PIAAs held up 50-70K & 10 yrs a piece at least.

I also liked the 4100K as it gave good light without going blue. I did this 15yrs ago & now run 5&6K HID in my other cars & would possibly go there now.

I broke one of my headlight mounts in a fender bender & am considering an HID replacement though it seems there is some controversy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try re-aiming the headlights to shine farther down the road (higher up) before you spend any money on new ones. There should be little screws to turn on the back of the lights that should be pretty easy to adjust, and a few minutes trying it may save you a lot of money.

First of all, I believe it is necessary to decide whether you will use the halogen headlight or not and will, if so, the headlight be old or new.
If you decide to use the halogen headlight, then it is better to put in it, so called, lamps of increased power. For example, I have 4,5 years without reproach worked the lamp manufacturer of our headlights company Koito Whitebeam 3.
The only minus of these lamas for me was one thing. According to the law, in Russia all machines must undergo a state technical inspection. According to the regulations, the use of lamps with the color of the cap other than the transparent one is forbidden.
Although they shine in a crystal white color, but the color of the glass is off in blue - and this is a violation of technical regulations.
Therefore, I had to rearrange them every time before the usual inspection and then change it back. As for you - see for yourself.
I used these lamps for 4.5 years in headlight lamps and fog lamps and they did not burn out unnecessarily. The effect from their glow is really an order of magnitude better than from standard lamps, so they do not consume much more electricity.
Secondly, I think it's right, to decide whether you will use your old headlights and polish them or buy new ones.I can say that the headlights of such Chinese firms as TYC or DEPO cost about $ 50 apiece and not worse than the OEM.
If you decide to use old headlights, then polishing the headlamp headlamps flowed a little. After it, you need to cover the headlights with a polyurethane film to protect against abrasion. This can be done in places where the glass of machines is toned with film.
True if you put it all together, then, perhaps, buy new lights will not be more expensive than to cover with old polyurethane film.
I went through the path described above, but a year ago I decided to put the headlights with a regular xenon from the Nissan Terrano P50.Since in Japan the movement is more right, and the light of the tick in the lenses had to be slightly leveled by dismantling the headlight.
By and by I can say that the regular light of xenon OEM, also by the way Koito's company, shines brighter than the light of distant and fog lamps.

Daylight is around 5500k.

I know I don't bother flashing people anymore that have the bluer lights, because their brights are usually much worse.

The biggest thing is to PROPERLY aim the headlights to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. Most of the problems I see around here are because people put in an aftermarket light assembly and didn't aim it. Or the moron driving down the paved road with his light bar on.

• Like 1

Дневной свет составляет около 5500 тысяч.

Я знаю, что я больше не беспокоюсь о том, чтобы вспыхивать люди, у которых есть голубые огни, потому что их ярлыки обычно намного хуже.

Самое главное, чтобы ПРАВИЛЬНО нацелить фары, чтобы предотвратить ослепление встречного движения. Большинство проблем, которые я вижу здесь, - это то, что люди поставили световую сборку послепродажного обслуживания и не нацеливали ее. Или идиот, проезжающий по асфальтированной дороге с его световой баром.

Нет, у нас такие проблемы, но редко. Есть две системы управления: вы можете сиять с подсветкой в ​​ответ, и, если через пару дней после установки OEM-ксенонов от Terrano R50, я путешествовал с неурегулированным горизонтом и вертикально каждый третий я сделал это. А второй - ежегодный государственный технический осмотр. Я только что прошел государственную инспекцию автомобиля месяц назад, когда легализую передачу двигателя топливной системы VQ35DE не только на бензин, но и на пропановый газ.

No, we have such problems, but rarely.
There are two systems to prevent such situations: you can shine with the backlight in response. I so drove a couple of days after installing the OEM xenon from the Terrano R50, with unsettled horizontally and vertically, and every third blinked backlight in response. I quickly wanted to ride with such light.
And the second - the annual state technical inspection. If it does not pass does not work insurance civil to the car and can withdraw the machine account. I just passed the state car inspection a month ago, when I legalized the transfer of the engine of the VQ35DE fuel system in parallel to gasoline, and propane gas.

Yes please!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Stupid Amazon says "the title has been deleted" in my wish list. I had to find the owner's manual and search for the item again, and I still found it.

Here is a direct link http://a.co/9jVqHU6

They are Kensun HID low beam xenon, high beam halogen H4/9003 bulbs at 3000K color. The mfgr part number is supposedly Ken-ks-H4l-30. Currently they are $60 on Amazon.

When I installed the bulbs I had to cut one wire on each of the halogen leads so I could fit all of the harness through the rubber boot of the headlight. Then I connected the wire back with spade connectors. These bulb bases don't securely fit over the interior of the rubber boot. But the rubber boot will still stay securely on the headlight housing. I don't feel like the rubber boots are necessary unless you are forging creeks a foot in water or higher, and even then I don't think the factory rubber boots would prevent water ingress. I've never had a problem with that.

I also had to swap the left and right wire connectors in the HID kit headlight socket. They are polarity sensitive to make the amps work. But connecting them backwards at first won't hurt anything, the HID lights just won't light up until you swap them.

Note the 2 modifications were only to the HID kit. I made no modifications to the vehicle or headlight housing. I could swap normal part store halogen bulbs in within a few seconds by just disconnecting the HID harness and swapping the bulbs.

One last thing to note is when they initially turn on, they are a little dim and whiter. After about 30 seconds they reach full brightness and the correct very slightly yellowish color, but not so yellow as halogen. I've never had an issue with the warm up period being too dim entering a tunnel or parking garage.

I really like these bulbs, and haven't had any problems with them yet.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
I'm just seeing your post on headlights.  Can you tell me how your Amazon bulbs and harness are holding up?
They are still doing great. If one of them went out today, I'd look at the LED options. But if I didn't like those, I'd have no problem buying these Kensun HID bulbs again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, colinnwn said:

They are still doing great. If one of them went out today, I'd look at the LED options. But if I didn't like those, I'd have no problem buying these Kensun HID bulbs again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I live within 10 mins of  a well known distributor of retrofit lights. The last time I was in there (2 weeks ago) I heard a customer returning his led lights because they don't have an even beam spread... something to consider when you buy these types of lights.

13 minutes ago, Astrorami said:

I live within 10 mins of  a well known distributor of retrofit lights. The last time I was in there (2 weeks ago) I heard a customer returning his led lights because they don't have an even beam spread... something to consider when you buy these types of lights.

LED or HID being returned?

Yeah.  I watched a video comparing Halogen, HID, and LED.  Those LED bulbs were all over the place, but they did appear to illuminate the road further but they weren't bright.  The Halogens were bright and the HIDs were at least as bright.

The specific model I bought have HID low and halogen high beams, which should really be called halogen lower beams as they seem dimmer than the HID low. But I felt like the visibility of the low beam HID was greater than my factory halogen bulb high beams. I've been flashed once now with someone thinking I had my high beams on and they were the lows. So they probably project more than the halogen low beams, but it doesn't seem to bother most drivers. Kensun has another model that has an electrically operated shutter inside the bulb to control the low vs. high beam throw, so that would be something to consider if you like HID better. They were a bit more expensive but not outrageous.

• Like 1