Resetting the ECU

neilca

My truck has not been on the road in the last 4 years. I now have it ready to go, but it failed the OBD pollution test. It says my computer is not ready to read. The tester said I had to drive the truck for 150 miles for the computer to read all the systems and verify they work. So I am in a catch 22 situation. I have to drive the truck 150 miles yet I cannot get a tag for the truck.

Does anyone know how far a 1999 SE Pathfinder needs to be driven before a retest?

Unfortunately, you cant bypass that portion of the OBD2 process. All of the systems need to cycle and establish a finished/clear status. By resetting the ECU or clearing codes with a reader you're restarting the ECU cycles. Im not sure of the mileage required but maybe you could get a temporary operating permit to drive your truck allowing the ECU to run a systems tests

150 miles is probably the maximum but the tester probably wanted to be sure they all cleared. I got a new scanner that checks I/M readiness and it would take 50 - 80 miles when I was playing around with it a few times with our 2003. The ECM is looking at a few criteria, like speed over 45, full operating temp, # of starts, etc. You can do a search to find out the specifics and maybe get it done quicker. Get a basic scanner so you can check I/M yourself so you don't get told "it's not ready, give me $50".

See EC-49 here: http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Pathfinder/1999_Pathfinder/ec.pdf

While you can make-ready the system just by driving around, it's more of a time requirement than distance requirement; you need to satisfy each component with a specific driving pattern. The chart on EC-49 (with notes from EC-50) tells you the driving pattern to follow to tackle all systems in one shot. I recommend printing the pages, using a stopwatch, and having a navigator reading instructions and tracking time. Easy access to a highway or long stretch of uninterrupted road helps for the 53-60MPH segments, and a frontage road with shoulder for the 30-35MPH stop-and-go tests. I've done it a few times in my trucks...you might look a little silly doing it, but it works.

See EC-49 here: http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Pathfinder/1999_Pathfinder/ec.pdf

While you can make-ready the system just by driving around, it's more of a time requirement than distance requirement; you need to satisfy each component with a specific driving pattern. The chart on EC-49 (with notes from EC-50) tells you the driving pattern to follow to tackle all systems in one shot. I recommend printing the pages, using a stopwatch, and having a navigator reading instructions and tracking time. Easy access to a highway or long stretch of uninterrupted road helps for the 53-60MPH segments, and a frontage road with shoulder for the 30-35MPH stop-and-go tests. I've done it a few times in my trucks...you might look a little silly doing it, but it works.

Good to have, thanks. I asked the DOT for a temporary pass but they said they do not have one to give out since my truck was not tagged last year. I don't even have a plate since I just bought it with the bad transmission.