VQ40DE engine noise. Ideas?

k9sar

the odd part is that the nosiest part is the stretch across the top of the timing cover between the two cams. I wonder if something broke loose (a cam guide or timing chain guide) and is up there rubbing on the chain.

• Like 1

Well, I'm up to my eyeballs in other projects and am trying to recover from a leg injury so I did the unthinkable.... I handed the keys over to the service manager at my local dealership and told him to give me a call when they pull it apart and let me know what they find. I told him my suspicions and he knows I've done the majority of my own work on my former '95 so I don't think they'll try to pull anything on me. I know there are some things that will most likely need to be repaired/replaced and some of them will be easier with the fan out and the front of the engine pulled apart so I asked him to put together a list with prices and I'll let him know what I'm comfortable just throwing money at so I don't have to do the work. If this were my old VG30E, I'd have had it torn down and halfway back together but I'm not yet fully familiar with the VQ40DE engine.

And how do you intend to become familiar? :lmao: Just bein' cheeky, hopefully they don't ask for too much $$$.

I'll become familiar the next time I have spare wheels around and I can take my time. Kinda pressed for transportation at the moment ;)

Figure I have another 10 to 15 years on this truck