ABS Light Lit

gamellott

The light started lighting intermittently several months ago and it seemed to be when it's wet out. I can clear the light if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on. NOW, that has changed. Under light braking, intermittently, the brake pedal will will feel like it clicks once, pedal resistance goes down and it decelerates less, like something in the hydraulics triggered something and it's braking less.

With that recent change, I'm now under the better impression that it's the modulator attached to the frame. Has anyone else experienced this and what was your remedy? I don't really want to spend a crap ton of money to replace the controller, sensor and computer...

Mine's been doing something similar with the light coming on, though I haven't had an actual issue crop up under braking. BR-34 in the service manual has a procedure where you ground one pin on the ABS diagnosis plug (one of the empty plugs that flops around behind the dash) and it flashes the light to tell you what it thinks is wrong. I've been meaning to do this on mine, but of course the damn thing only crops up when I don't have time to check it, then refuses to come on when I've got the instructions at hand.

If it comes on more when it's wet out, though, I'd suspect the connector/wiring more than the internals. Or possibly the sensor on the rear diff, or its connector/wiring. Hopefully the code points you in the right direction.

I didn't know there was any diagnostic for that system. Good to know. I'll see what I can find because it's clearly affecting the hydraulics on mine, even if it is minimal. I'll have to make time to work on this because it's fairly low on my priorities, but I'm getting closer to being able to work on mechanical things vice construction around the house ;)

I tend to agree with you on the connector and moisture relation, but now, as discussed, it's turning a tad different than what it was. Before, it was just the light; Now, it's a little more. I'll start tearing into it sometime..... when I make time after it kills me ;)