Help! WD21 won't run when engine is heat soaked

Justanub

Help. My mechanic gave up, told me to find a Pathy expert. And he has had 3!

Here is what I am dealing with. 1991, 106,000 miles, automatic. I noticed a slight miss a few weeks ago driving in traffic. So slight I first thought it was the road. Stopped at a store for 15 minutes, came out, and was difficult to start. Idled rough, couldn't make more than 30 mph but I was able to drive 4 miles or so and got home. I let it cool and she started right up and ran just fine.

Now I know how to make it fail. I drive 10 - 20 minutes on a hot day - 90 plus. Park it for 10-15 minutes. Then it will barely startand idles rough. Can't really drive it anywhere. Let it cool 35 minutes with the hood up and she starts right up. Here is the weird part, I can drive it after it is cool and It doesn't get worse, just a slight miss or two.

The problem does not come back until I let it sit and heat soak the engine compartment.

Work so far - new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new disti cap and rotor. No error codes. She had erratic fuel pressure so that is why we started there. The fuel pressure is now good. My mechanic replaced the coil and coil wire but it didn't fix it so the old one is back on.

My theory is that something is getting heat soaked under the hood and causing the problem. But what?

I am thinking I can get the engine hot again, the start cooling thing with ice and compresses air and see if she runs again, but where to start? Coolant sensor? Wiring harness?

Has anyone seen this behavior in there Pathy?