Time for new exhaust...

statikuz

Figured I'd be set with 2.25" piping and a Flowmaster 40 muffler, but I'm not entirely sure about the cat or not... do I need one of those snazzy "high-flow" ones or do I need to replace it at all? Any recs on what kind I should get or should I let the exhaust shop deal with that? I figured if I brought them in all the parts it might be easier for em to not screw it up... I was gonna get the muffler from Summit.

I first question how old, how many miles, what shape the old one is in, and how much $ you want to spend. No point in not replacing it and having it go out/clog in a year. I think a high flow cat would be the way to go... I also agree that if you bring the parts and just let them do some piping and install you will get the best results. Of course, some shops wont want to do it because they cant mark up the parts, or will tell you they wont warranty the parts and sometimes even the labor.

Bernard

I don't think the cat has ever been replaced... its a 93 with about 166k on it. I'm looking at around $200-300 including the parts... is that reasonable? Some cats I saw were hella spendy and others were cheap. Any particular brands to go with?

I'd say replace it with the high flow cat. I seem to remember some for under $100. Unfortunately, I'm not up on my exhaust brands, but if I remember where I saw the units, I'll fire you a link. I'd say $300 is a fair and reasonable price. Mine has a Magnaflow stainless cat back system, that the PO had installed for $240 I believe...

B

I have the high flow cats with 2.5" pipes with a Flowmaster 50 series (3 chamber) muffler which rumbles. I had the muffler shop build from the cat back, and he straightened out a lot of the pipe and tucked it under real nice. they did an awesome job, and for cat back and all new pipes/muffler..it was $200. (incl labor)

High flow cat is a good idea. I have to smog my Pathy.

Good luck!! WAVEY -bounce-

Dynomax makes one (Summit WLK-15038) for $54 with 2.5" inlet/outlet, and one with 2.25" pipes (WLK-15032) for the same price, but it says "Chevy/Pontiac, Camaro/Firebird"... would that matter? Another brand, "Catco" makes the same sort of thing (CTO-6905) with 2.25" pipes. There are all sorts of different lengths, different ones for V8s and V6s, etc... ???

That sure is nice lookin'... I don't have any tools at all around here at college so how much would it run me to have someone slap it on? Or am I still farther ahead with getting a separate muffler and cat and having a shop do the piping? Or should I get the Borla system, a new cat, and then have them do THAT? Any ideas?

I bet with Borla you're paying something for brand name, not to knock them. I'm sure its a solid system, but if you're going bang for the buck, I bet a Flowmaster/Dynamax/etc. would work just as good. I can't quote the cat issues, but all in all with one of many decent mufflers, pipe, and a cat, you shouldn't be out too much. I bet you could beat somebody into a full install of all named parts, out the door, for $300 or less.

Hey i got 2 1\2 in piping all the way back from the manifolds out. I got a high flow cat and a 40 Flowwmaster Muffler. I dnt realy like the sound of it and i kinda want it to be more rumbly. would running 3 in piping from the muffler out the back improve the exhaust note?

Nah, I don't have to smog, but would a new cat add to the overall improvement with the new exhaust or not? Everyone says "high flow cat"... any brands that are good or IS that the brand and I'm just retarded? :)

[i don't imagine 3" pipes would improve the sound but I could be wrong...]

Hey i got 2 1\2 in piping all the way back from the manifolds out. I got a high flow cat and a 40 Flowwmaster Muffler. I dnt realy like the sound of it and i kinda want it to be more rumbly. would running 3 in piping from the muffler out the back improve the exhaust note?

3" is way too big. The most you'll want to go is 2.5". I have 2.5" pipe, Thorley headers, high flow cats Cali- have to smog it) and a Flowmaster 50 series (3 chamber..more rumble).

My Pathy rumbles....I LOVE IT!! :aok:

Hey Slick... which cat did you end up getting?

Dynomax makes two cats with 2.5" pipes, one that's 18" long and costs $120, and one 14" long that's only $54... what's the difference? Thanks! :D

Oh yeah, and another question... what's the diff between mufflers that have the inlet and outlet centered vs. offset? What do you guys have? Or should I not matter since I'm getting all the pipes redone anyways?

Edited by statikuz

The cats were new when I bought the Pathy, don't kow the brand, but I do know they are high flow cats. No name brands needed, just make sure they are high flow.

Muffler offset doesn't matter.. I changed mine, I think it's side in center out.. darn.. now I will have to go look tomorrow..LOL :wacko:

Aighty, the Dynomax ones are high flow... but what about the lengths? How come the prices are so different / which one do I need?

I guess I could figure this stuff out myself by going and looking at the stuff already under there but the Pathy's in a parking garage way over there >>> and I'm lazy. :)

Edited by statikuz

Here's pics of my cat and my new muffler.... sorry.. still a retard.. have to leave links...LOL :blink:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/det...d1f.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/det...653.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/det...5db.jpg&.src=ph

enjoy! BTW.. the second pic is how he mounted the "back" of the new muffler to the frame.. that sucker is there. Doesn't rattle.. tidy and up out of the way..and he straightened the pipe a lot from the stock set up. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want REALLY cheap do what I did and use a BFS (screwdriver) struck with a BFH (hammer) and hollow out all the asbestos filled mesh inside the catalytic. Once you're done, you've got yourself a free straight-through catalytic, and inspectors are none the wiser (you mentioned they dont sniff, where I am they dont either but they still check that it's there).

Chromotech, I hope your Pacesetter install goes more smoothly than mine. I swear they set me the wrong headers from my application. EGR bung was wrong, the #6 down tube had to be "dented to clear the bell housing so it wouldn't act like a heat sink and trash the rear main seal. And I continue to struggle with exhaust leaks and the slip joints. Argh! I know welding those joint will solve that problem but I'm due for a clutch in the near future.

Oh and their tech support is marginal at best.

JMTC

Mike