rear window hinge

agent22

my plastic rear window hinges are broken and I have epoxied them together for now.
Someone on ebay is selling the 96-04 metal hinges claiming they will fit the 87-04. http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-04-NISSAN-PATHFINDER-INFINITI-QX4-REAR-LIFTGATE-HATCH-GLASS-WINDOW-HINGE-OEM-/142480006751?hash=item212c785e5f:g:qcgAAOSwdtlZlz-5&vxp=mtr
can someone please confirm if they can be used? metal hinges would be a nice upgrade from the plastic ones.

From what I can gather on schematics the hinges are different when the 96 year change took place. They appear to be longer than 95 on back? It's really hard to tell though due to crowded numbers.

Why not go to a pick n pull and get you a good set of hinges that way? I find lots of them in my area.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

thank you for the reply and looking at the schematics.I really would like a newer or a stronger set that can handle the abuse i put it through when I off road. I did consider pick and pull but the only issue I have with that is that the part you are getting is still 20+ years old.

This is the first I've heard of the rear window hinges breaking, and some of the guys here wheel hard. Plastic parts (particlarly 20-year old ones) aren't my favorite either but I'd be surprised if your offorad abuse is enough to shatter them regularly. The rear hatch shouldn't be flexing enough to put any real strain on them.

Hell, I caught an apple tree with the hinges on my '95 (they doubled as mounts for the spoiler) and all that did was tear out the screws for the spoiler.

The only time I've ever seen a damaged hinge was from physical damage like what Slartibartfast mentioned or rust splitting the plastic open around the hinge pin itself. If be more worried about something hitting the glass and breaking it than the hinges allowing the glass to flex too much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Wanted to bump this old thread so that I could chime in for anyone on the search for new hinges - 2nd gen hinges DO work. They bolt up without any modification and are a nice upgrade from the brittle old plastic hinges. I took the plunge on a pair on eBay after scrutinizing pictures and was very pleased to find out that they install very easily. They swing up and down without any binding - the only issue (and this is totally surmountable) is that they make the glass stick out a few millimeters further away from the hatch, making a small (maybe 2mm) gap between the glass and the window seal at the top.

My plan when I have the time is to cut some shims out of rubber and install between the hinges and glass to push the glass closer towards the hatch and hopefully create a good seal against the window gasket. I'll make an update to this thread when possible and see about taking some pictures as reference. My 32 year old hinges were splitting apart and I was having a tough go of finding decent looking replacements, so this was a big win for me.

• Like 1