Pathfinder vs. Frontier

mjotrainbrain

Normally I would stay on the topic of Pathfinders, but this group is way too useful and knowledgeable about all things Nissan to not ask. My dad is looking at getting a new car. His dream car has been a BMW M3 since he was a teenager, but that isn't a possibility right now. He grew up working on and owning muscle cars, as well as having a lot of fun with his dad's K5 Blazer (so always something that was special, and mostly something that goes fast). Now that I've had my QX4 for a couple years, he understands the usefulness, as well as likes the idea of a truck, which is interesting because he's never owned one. Up until now he has almost exclusively owned Ford. Unfortunately his final three vehicles are awfully spread out. One is an Infiniti Q50 which he likes for its luxury and sporty aspects, but it's very different from the other two so that's up to him to decide. The other two he's looking at is an R52 Pathfinder and a Pro-4X Frontier. He likes the fact that the R52 has a VQ35DE like my QX4 which we know to be very reliable, but the CVT is obviously concerning. He is also impressed with how roomy and luxurious it is inside without having an overly complex screen system (he would love an all-manual FJ if they weren't so expensive; simple is better), however it is just a car. Nothing special about it performance-wise, which is completely different from anything else he's looked at up to this point, which makes me worry that he'll regret it in the long run. He likes the fact that the Frontier Pro-4X is such a, well, truck. Frame, ground clearance, skids, suspension, etc. It has it all. Problem is there's no way my mom will every let him use it the way it's meant to be, which kind of makes a Pathfinder with a towing package seem like plenty. (Although I'm sure it would end up on a two-track at least once a year.) Price-wise, all three options are pretty close for the 2015 model year in our area. Opinions? Input from this Nissan community will be very appreciated. And if this kind of post isn't allowed on here, I totally understand; this is a group for Pathfinders only and I get that, y'all are just too knowledgeable.

They are all so different. If he really wants a truck, then nothing else will cut it. I have always had a truck of some sort, except for a brief period when I had only a 93 pathfinder. If he hauls things or tows loads, go with the truck.

I would stay away from the cvt. The automakers always say this time they have it figured out, and then they have problems with it.

• Like 1

Steer clear of Nissan 2005 to 2008. 2015 models look decent enough but two years isn't long enough to know whether or not they are any good.

I love Nissan and I still have to say, what about Toyota? Tell him to check out the LX470. You can find them for decent prices and they literally go for 500k miles. Land Cruiser is the same but you'll pay extra for the name. LX470 is the same thing but it's a Lexus and not as many people realize it. The V8 4Runner is also known to produce 4-500k miles as well.

Check out carcomplaints.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are all so different. If he really wants a truck, then nothing else will cut it. I have always had a truck of some sort, except for a brief period when I had only a 93 pathfinder. If he hauls things or tows loads, go with the truck.

I would stay away from the cvt. The automakers always say this time they have it figured out, and then they have problems with it.

+1 CVTs are junk. The one and ONLY reason anyone of the car makers uses a CVT transmission is because they are waaaaaaaaaay cheaper to produce. There is a small fraction of the precision required to produce a long lasting transmission in the CVT. That means cheaper.. and consequently they do not last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been impressed by the VQ40DE that's in the Frontier. I've rented two 2016 Crew Cab 4x4s and enjoyed them, despite not taking them off-road. My dad recently bought a very well-equipped CC (2wd, though), and he loves it. I put a lift on my buddy's P4X earlier this year and at least it was easy to work on. A few guys in my Nissan group do drive P4X Frontiers and Xterras and they are capable off-road...granted, I've also seen several stupid issues with them. My overall opinion is that they're good trucks, but I think Nissan really downgraded the drivetrain.

Some buddies were recently in town and rented a Q50 and QX60. The Q50 was a twin turbo, and it was great...very cool car. The QX60...wasn't impressed...but it was a helluva lot better than the Dodge Journey he returned to get it.

Well, a vehicle has been purchased. Thank you all very much for your input, but it came down to his personal preferences in the end. The Q50 was ruled out for having poor rear leg room (although the selected vehicle shares this flaw) and no warranty; awfully risky for an 'exotic' sporty car. The Frontier was ruled out for just being too small; leg room all around wasn't as good as he'd like (he and I are both 6'3") as well as being an outdated design (2015 was the end of the generation). The R52 was ruled out for being too boring basically; it wouldn't be any fun to drive onroad and certainly wouldn't be able to go offroad or do any real work. The vehicle that was purchased was...*drum roll*...a 2016 Tacoma TRD! It really helped that it came with a 100,000 mile/10 year powertrain warranty. Hope y'all don't mind that it's a Toyota too much, but it's super nice. It isn't going to be doing any hardcore wheeling, but hopefully I can convince him to get some dirt on the tires. Obligatory picture:

IMG_20170831_201831168_14.jpg

Edited by mjotrainbrain
  • Like 1

That's ok. My wife wants to sell the Subaru and get a 4runner. I don't know if I can handle the Toyota premium.

Nice looking truck!

He had looked at a 4Runner, but for the same price as the Tacoma TRD you had to get a regular 4Runner. And in either case, you're right, that Toyota premium is high! But it will pay off in the long run, just the same as anybody who bought a WD21 back in the day is rejoicing in their investment now. In my family we like to own our vehicles from when they're 1-3 years old and then until they go the junkyard. Hopefully this truck will provide at least 15 years of service, I'm sure more if I can get my dad to keep on top of undercoating...(darn salty Michigan roads)

Nice truck. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have so much aftermarket support.

If this were a Facebook comment I'd have a hard time deciding between a "haha" reaction or a crying one.

And to put salt in the wound, I doubt he'll take much advantage of that plethora of aftermarket. :shrug: Oh well, it's still a cool truck.

Nice truck. I don't know why so many people think they need full size trucks. Go to Europe. There are none. At least where I was, the only full size pickups were owned by North Americans in the military.

While you can't really beat a 2016 Tacoma saying a R52 can't go off-road is just a big fat lie. Check out my Whipsaw video in the pics and video section, completely stock R50 with VQ35DE and bald old winter tires on one of the most iconic 4x4 trails in the PNW.

It's now what you drive, it's how you drive it. :sleep:

While you can't really beat a 2016 Tacoma saying a R52 can't go off-road is just a big fat lie. Check out my Whipsaw video in the pics and video section, completely stock R50 with VQ35DE and bald old winter tires on one of the most iconic 4x4 trails in the PNW.

It's now what you drive, it's how you drive it. :sleep:

Oh I know the R50 is great offroad, that's what I drive! The R52 is the 2013 and newer Pathfinder, 6" of ground clearance and no solid axles; not made for any worse than a dirt road. R51 can be pretty good, but the R52 is pretty much hopeless.