Moving To New Servers!
Members interested in helping test the new NPORA server platform, please contact RedPath88 via PM or email for further information.

Thank you,
-NPORA

Photo

Which winch do YOU use? :P

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RCWD21

RCWD21

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Local time: 10:10 AM
  • Model:SE
  • Year:1987

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

4'x4' 1/8" plate, 3'x4' 1/4" plate, 2"x1/4"x36" flat bar.

I have about 40% of the 1/4" plate left and will have about 20% of the 1/8" plate once I make the center piece, for aesthetic reasons. I bought a lot extra in case I messed up, considering how far I live from a place to buy more.

Picture of mount is forthcoming.

I live 3 hours from the supplier that I'm going with so I'd rather have metal left over than realize I need another sheet of something.

All that's left at this point is buy the metal, hookup our new plasma cutter or use one from my dad's work and get templates made.

The extra metal that's left over should give me plenty to figure out a way to mount the rear bumper I'll be using until I make up my mind on what I want back there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#22 OFFLINE   Citron

Citron

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Year:1992

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

I had planned on using the left over material for my rear bumper too.

#23 OFFLINE   RCWD21

RCWD21

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

I had planned on using the left over material for my rear bumper too.

When I get back home I'll take a pic of the bumper I was given. It's off of a service truck or some sort. It's a truck step style bumper which is kinda nice to be able to get up top but it's a little shorter than I'd like it to be but any bumper is better than no bumper right now

#24 OFFLINE   JamesRich

JamesRich

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

Just bought a smittybilt XRC 9.500 yesterday, 350$ from 4wheel parts with 3 year all inclusive warranty, even if I crash the truck lol. I really wanted to try a badlands cause I've had great experiences with harbor freight stuff before but for something like a winch I was totally willing to go smittybilt which lists for the same price as the badlands 9,000 lb, so it pulls more for the same and I trust smittybilt over HF as a general rule

I have a smittybilt XRC 8, Been on my truck for 7 years. It will drag the whole truck through mud with the wheels locked! I did that just to see if it would, engine not running either. Haven't had to use it a lot for recovery but lifted several box blinds with it and pulled down an old barn. The second year I had it I seemed to get stuck every time I got off a main trail at our camp and had to use it a lot. Just recently it pulled the truck up on my trailer when my pathfinder left my son on the road! Always worked when I needed it.

James

#25 OFFLINE   RCWD21

RCWD21

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:27 AM

I have a smittybilt XRC 8, Been on my truck for 7 years. It will drag the whole truck through mud with the wheels locked! I did that just to see if it would, engine not running either. Haven't had to use it a lot for recovery but lifted several box blinds with it and pulled down an old barn. The second year I had it I seemed to get stuck every time I got off a main trail at our camp and had to use it a lot. Just recently it pulled the truck up on my trailer when my pathfinder left my son on the road! Always worked when I needed it.
James

This is the sort of experience I wanted to hear about and it being the winch I'm getting is even better

#26 OFFLINE   Citron

Citron

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Year:1992

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

Pics of the mounting.
IMG_20170819_162903.jpg
IMG_20170819_162911.jpg
IMG_20170819_162920.jpg

From reading on here and other places, I am looking at the Engo sr9 winch now. Good reviews and good price.

#27 OFFLINE   RCWD21

RCWD21

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

Pics of the mounting.
IMG_20170819_162903.jpg
IMG_20170819_162911.jpg
IMG_20170819_162920.jpg

From reading on here and other places, I am looking at the Engo sr9 winch now. Good reviews and good price.

Thanks for the pics Citron, and I'll have to look at that winch when I get to Alabama. I had a day off from work only to turn around and drive right back through where I just was. 100+ hour weeks are a serious grind :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA