Which winch do YOU use? :P

RCWD21

Gonna be finally building a bumper in the next couple weeks. Looking into the badland winches as they have pretty favorable reviews and don't cost a small fortune (my pathfinder was only $400 mind you)... so yea. I'm leaning towards either the 9k lb or 12k lb winch and was curious what everyone else uses (brand, size, how long you've owned and used it, what you generally use it for most).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just finished my bumper, I am looking at the superwinch tigershark 9500.

By the way, I have about $220, including paint, in my bumper. That doesn't count welding rod, wire, grinding wheels, etc. Just metal and paint.

Could you post some pics of it? I have part of mine drawn up but pretty much figured out in my head (if only it were that easy right?)

It's based on probably 3 different designs but it's still meant to be light weight but super strong in the middle where it needs to be.

There's a wholesale metal recycling place a little over an hour from me that can supply me with everything and even cut it to my needs so depending on the price I might just come home with pre-cut pieces lol

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/42718-citrons-92/page-2?do=findComment&comment=792194

Pics in my build thread. I did mine all in my head and then mocked it up with cardboard. Center is all 1/4" plate, wings are 1/8". I estimate it weighs around 80 lbs. It is light enough to carry around and install by myself. I wanted as light as possible. Kind of modeled it after the ARB, but with the, IMO, unnecessary 1/2" plate across the top. This thing isn't a 1 ton dually. There are pics of the mounting points off a few different bumpers at the link below. I pretty much did the ARB mounting style in Precise1 pics.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/37073-how-to-build-a-winch-bumper/page-1

Awesome, I'll take a look at those here in a few. The bumper I have in my head sounds similar to what you built.

Also I found the winch I'm probably going to go with. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-97495-XRC-Winch-Capacity/dp/B00JXS3BXI?tag=tapainc-20

I have a Rough Country 9500#. Only that particular one because I won it in a raffle. Haven't even used it other than to prep it for use. Seems to be good quality though, dragged my truck 90' across the front lawn no problem, lol.

Yup. The bumper I had planned looks nearly identical to what you have, just a little thinner top to bottom.

Citron, how much steel did you get to do your bumper? Just looking for a ball park figure, tomorrow I'm going to Sears to get some fridge boxes so I have big pieces of cardboard to work with.

Also could you take a pic for me of how your bumper mounts to the frame under the front onto the frame rails?

T-Max 12.5K mounted in an ARB - Got it almost brand new, but technically used, with wireless control adapter for dirt cheap from a guy who was just trying to make his mortgage payment.

Years... not sure how long :shrug: Pulled myself and a few other trucks out.

12.5K is way more than you need for a pathy, but I could not pass up the deal.

I think I'm going to go with the smittybuilt seeing as they offer a much better warranty than Harbor Frieght would and I don't have to pay an additional $40-$80 for only a 2 year warranty. Not to mention it's lighter than the 12k, isn't as amp hungry, and spools a little faster.

Now I just need to find out what work is doing this week, get some cardboard and start mocking things up.

Just bought a smittybilt XRC 9.500 yesterday, 350$ from 4wheel parts with 3 year all inclusive warranty, even if I crash the truck lol. I really wanted to try a badlands cause I've had great experiences with harbor freight stuff before but for something like a winch I was totally willing to go smittybilt which lists for the same price as the badlands 9,000 lb, so it pulls more for the same and I trust smittybilt over HF as a general rule

Sorry for not responding, for some reason this was not showing up on the new content button. This forum does funny things on mobile.

With the 2" body lift I had to make it that high top to bottom to cover everything. If I had made it another inch or so it would have looked better and been right under the grill, but I didn't want the extra weight. I was mainly trying to cover the holes in the body.

I will get that info and pic for you asap.

Keep in mind that I haven't used it yet. The true test will come once I use it to pull myself out. I am sure it will be fine, but you never know.

A lot of the guys here run the Smittybilt winches. Fast spooling and great no questions asked warranty. I have the HF 12k used for a price you'd be stupid to pass up. It's slow and I have only used it to respool using the rear hitch. I'll build a bumper when I get the engine and transmission in order again.

Nissannut has builds of his on his web page

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Sorry for not responding, for some reason this was not showing up on the new content button. This forum does funny things on mobile.

With the 2" body lift I had to make it that high top to bottom to cover everything. If I had made it another inch or so it would have looked better and been right under the grill, but I didn't want the extra weight. I was mainly trying to cover the holes in the body.

I will get that info and pic for you asap.

Keep in mind that I haven't used it yet. The true test will come once I use it to pull myself out. I am sure it will be fine, but you never know.

If you managed to bend that bumper or break your clean welds then we've both got a problem because I'm going to be using 1/4" for the winch mount too. But unlike yours I have to drop my upper mounts down at about a 45° angle sue to me having a 3 inch body lift. I may remove some material from the body so I can use a sort of triangle shaped mount instead of only a 45° piece.

I go home from work at the end of the week so I'll hopefully have some free time before I get called back out.

Also thanks in advance for the pics! They'll help me a lot on my design.

A lot of the guys here run the Smittybilt winches. Fast spooling and great no questions asked warranty. I have the HF 12k used for a price you'd be stupid to pass up. It's slow and I have only used it to respool using the rear hitch. I'll build a bumper when I get the engine and transmission in order again.

Nissannut has builds of his on his web page

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I decided on the XRC due to it's lighter weight, a MUCH better warranty, and the fact that all that is only $30 more than a 12k HF winch without the added expense of an extended warranty.

Just bought a smittybilt XRC 9.500 yesterday, 350$ from 4wheel parts with 3 year all inclusive warranty, even if I crash the truck lol. I really wanted to try a badlands cause I've had great experiences with harbor freight stuff before but for something like a winch I was totally willing to go smittybilt which lists for the same price as the badlands 9,000 lb, so it pulls more for the same and I trust smittybilt over HF as a general rule

Where at you located at? I've been finding the same winch for $299 with free shipping (not sure if you got extra accessories or not causing a difference in price)

4wheelparts is overpriced on a lot of their stuff. When I was tire shopping same tires from them were going to cost about $500 more then we're I got them.

4wheelparts is overpriced on a lot of their stuff. When I was tire shopping same tires from them were going to cost about $500 more then we're I got them.

I noticed their prices were pretty far off on a lot of common stuff, but at the same time the convenience of all of it coming from one location is nice too

4'x4' 1/8" plate, 3'x4' 1/4" plate, 2"x1/4"x36" flat bar.

I have about 40% of the 1/4" plate left and will have about 20% of the 1/8" plate once I make the center piece, for aesthetic reasons. I bought a lot extra in case I messed up, considering how far I live from a place to buy more.

Picture of mount is forthcoming.

• Like 1

4'x4' 1/8" plate, 3'x4' 1/4" plate, 2"x1/4"x36" flat bar.

I have about 40% of the 1/4" plate left and will have about 20% of the 1/8" plate once I make the center piece, for aesthetic reasons. I bought a lot extra in case I messed up, considering how far I live from a place to buy more.

Picture of mount is forthcoming.

I live 3 hours from the supplier that I'm going with so I'd rather have metal left over than realize I need another sheet of something.

All that's left at this point is buy the metal, hookup our new plasma cutter or use one from my dad's work and get templates made.

The extra metal that's left over should give me plenty to figure out a way to mount the rear bumper I'll be using until I make up my mind on what I want back there.

I had planned on using the left over material for my rear bumper too.

When I get back home I'll take a pic of the bumper I was given. It's off of a service truck or some sort. It's a truck step style bumper which is kinda nice to be able to get up top but it's a little shorter than I'd like it to be but any bumper is better than no bumper right now

I have a smittybilt XRC 8, Been on my truck for 7 years. It will drag the whole truck through mud with the wheels locked! I did that just to see if it would, engine not running either. Haven't had to use it a lot for recovery but lifted several box blinds with it and pulled down an old barn. The second year I had it I seemed to get stuck every time I got off a main trail at our camp and had to use it a lot. Just recently it pulled the truck up on my trailer when my pathfinder left my son on the road! Always worked when I needed it.

James

I have a smittybilt XRC 8, Been on my truck for 7 years. It will drag the whole truck through mud with the wheels locked! I did that just to see if it would, engine not running either. Haven't had to use it a lot for recovery but lifted several box blinds with it and pulled down an old barn. The second year I had it I seemed to get stuck every time I got off a main trail at our camp and had to use it a lot. Just recently it pulled the truck up on my trailer when my pathfinder left my son on the road! Always worked when I needed it.

James

This is the sort of experience I wanted to hear about and it being the winch I'm getting is even better