Saying Good-bye to an old truck

87BeachCruiser

It's that time, unfortunately. I'm sure I'm not the only one around here that is a bit sentimental for their vehicles, and I kind of feel bad for it. I sort of wish I could give it to someone to use as a farm or hunting camp vehicle... like that would be better, I'd feel less guilty... crazy, right? It's only a little less worse than losing a pet. I want to send the truck to spend its last days on the farm, like a retired racehorse or something....

I had a lot of fun with this truck, many days and nights on the beach, lots of fish and friends and good times. Towed a few less capable off the beaches of Long Island. Lots of ski trips too; we had a "snowicane" and they closed the roads to ALL vehicles and me and a buddy took off into the blizzard and skied feet of fresh snow when everyone else stayed home... more than a few rescues from snow stuck vehicles over the years. Lots of hauling wood and moving rocks around my (very small) property.

Truck is so rusted now, underneath, inside, everywhere... registration is due, inspection overdue... needs everything, and my life and needs are changing, space and time limited, family growing. But still, when my DD (same age!) wiper linkage broke and I took the truck to work for a couple days, started up no problem, gave no complaints and took me to job and back. Truck has given everything and asked for nothing. I have generally abused it these past couple years, and it asks for more.

So I'm a bit bummed to see it go, but it's time to let go and move on. What to do with it? I wouldn't even really want to sell it "as is" on Craigslist, I'd feel liable. I mean it brakes worse than a Model A at this point, someone would crash trying to get home. So I guess it's part it and scrap it. Not much in the way of usable parts to sell, but lights and so on are intact. Scrap yard might give me 250....

When is NPORA moving to new servers? I'm gonna start taking some pictures and stuff this weekend and start a part out thread. Don't want to start that whole process then lose half of it in a switch over.

Edit: I should add I'm about 30 mi north of NYC if anyone reading this starts thinking about a parts truck. But I'll make a proper FS thread when it comes to it.

Edited by 87BeachCruiser
  • Like 1

I felt about the same when it came time to part out my '95. A few parts went to members here, most of its interior went into my '93, and I sold the carcass to a guy who wanted the engine for his Pathy, so at least a few of the parts live on. Lights in good shape should be worth something. TBI parts are probably hard enough to get ahold of that someone on here would be interested.

Sorry for your loss, and good luck with the partout.

Yes, manual trans. Need to keep it drivable for time being. Also have a ton of parts and a 1991 auto (parts car). Am going to start making a list and take pictures this weekend, will start the parts thread next week, stay tuned.

Goal is to fully divest by Thanksgiving....

I've never liked selling any of my vehicles, there's always that thought about the new owner taking care of it like you would.

I'm interested in some of the harnesses for my 87 pathfinder swapped to a manual transmission

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk