01 Pathfinder Clicking noise

ryjaytay38

If you still suspect any vibration from the driveshaft after changing the u-joints, check for driveshaft run-out. I had this exact symptoms after changing the u-joints on my rear shaft...wasn't pleased with the Naepco ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This has been going on too long. So I figured the shaft was probably bent and went and got another at the salvage yard. Put that one on since u-joints felt good. Same vibration at 60. Put new u joints in that one, same vibration at 60. I had changed out plug and ignition coil. That made it vibrate, but this is clearly drive shaft. What would happen if front shaft was it all together? I've owned it since 2010 and never used 4 wheel drive so I don't think I'm getting rid of much if I don't have it. just wonder if it will affect any other parts or systems?

If you have a manual transfer case, or leave your auto transfer case (dial on the dash) out of auto mode, it should be fine. If two driveshafts and two sets of joints hasn't made the vibration go away, then it doesn't sound like the driveshaft is likely the problem. I'd pull it and see if the truck still has the vibration without it.

So it is no longer a clicking like in the beginning of the thread, now you are chasing a vibration?

Have you tried rotating the tires and see if the vibration changes? If you threw a wheel weight, or hit a bad pot hole at speed and warped a rim both would cause vibration. As tires wear, they may need to be rebalanced. Also, mud and debris can build up inside the wheel, causing an out of balance. I have had that happen with snow.

I took the front drive shaft off and what do you know? Smooth as can be at 60, 70 80. I will have to figure out the shaft though and get it back on eventually, but at least for now I can drive it and not worry about the shaft coming apart going down the freeway. There's a place here in Phoenix called Dicks Driveshaft that seems pretty reputable. Thanks everyone for you help and input. I'll talk to you all when I decide what other kind of sticky situations I can get myself into with this truck. Thanks again--

• Like 1