Evap problem

matthew954

I recently got a trouble code for my Evap system. The code was for a possible clog or leak in my Evap system. While under my Pathy today, I found this hose looking like its sheered off of something. The only trouble is, I can't find anything that it may connect to. I'm stumped since I can't find any pics on Google for how the system should be connected.

5FpFh4Ql.jpg

OK IT RUNS TO THE LR OUTTER BUT INSIDE THE UNIBODY RAIL THERE SHOULD BE A DIAPHRAM THAT CLIPS ON TO THE CANISTER THAT HOLDS IN PLACE. ITS PART NUMBER 1453N HERES A PICTURE LINK.R223004R.jpg

• Like 1

I've looked up the part number, and Tasca Parts seem to be the only ones who carry it. I haven't been able to find it at Rock Auto. Only the vapor cannister and solenoid.

Bummer. I would try a wrecking yard if any are near to you. I know out here in cali there is a wrecker that specializes on the r50 there about 3hrs north of me they always post stuff. Let me know I can contact them if you like and check.

The tube just goes into a 90° elbow that snaps into a hole in the chassis...that is, the tube is just a vent tube and is open anyway. The piece you see inside the tube in your pic is just what's left of it. Here's what mine looks like, 2004 SE...you can kind of see it just terminates into the chassis just above that bracket:

IMG_5210.jpg

What code are you throwing? You can pull down the charcoal canister pretty easily. If, after you remove the hoses and solenoid off the canister, charcoal starts coming out in granules, that's probably part of your problem. I dealt with this issue earlier in the year on my 98 Frontier, throwing P1444 and P0325 codes. I've got a description of the problem and my solution on that crappy NICO forum, but it's cluttered with two dip@!*%s' worth of comments. Perhaps an interesting read, but long story short, my evap canister let loose internally and allowed charcoal granules to get sucked all the way up into the engine bay over time, eventually clogging the purge solenoid. Required clearing out all the hard and soft lines, dismantling the purge solenoid, and a new cannister. Total PITA.

Edited by hawairish

Also remember when you fill your R50 up stop filling when the handle clicks. Don't try to fill your tank to the max. That's what causes the canister to fail. By over filling your tank the gas will seap down into the canister and soak the charcoals causing them to eventually fall apart.

Sent from my Z836BL using Tapatalk

Any idea where I can get the hose? I'm hoping Autozone carries it. Not overfilling the tank won't be too much of a problem, since I use my Pathy as a second vehicle. I've only been putting about $10 worth in since I use my 2014 Cruze as new my daily driver. But I still would like to fix the few things wrong with her lol. Its just been too good of a vehicle. Being here in PA, winters really suck. And I don't have alot of faith in the Cruze for in snow.