Rear lift gate/tailgate interior panel & handles?

morgant

I recently bought a '93 WD21 SE-V6 that's running well, but has a couple minor interior issues. The PO removed the rear tail/lift gate panel due to a broken lock, but they didn't keep the panel and such. Currently I lock & unlock the tailgate manually by reaching in and pulls the levers/bars (the electronic lock doesn't seem to work). I intend to add a panel, but I haven't been able to find any photos of what the interior panel looks like and whether it had any latches or handles for manually locking/unlocking. Can anyone post photos of the stock panel and let me know if manual locking/unlocking was done only with the external key?

Thanks, that makes sense. Guess I'll have to source a new lock mechanism (still have the tumbler, so can pop that in to keep the keying the same).

Morgan

I found the replacement trunk lock for a reasonable price, but looking at the part and the mechanisms in the tailgate, it looks like it only clips to the release for the upper glass. I guess I'll need to sort out the electric lock mechanisms too, but for now I'll leave and opening in whatever panel I make so I can continue to manually operate both mechanisms.

Weird. AFAIK all WD21s came with the same setup, where the lock on the back goes left to unlock, right to lock, and full right to pop the glass. The service manual might have a diagram for the linkages, or you could get the missing cover and internal parts at a wrecking yard and get a good look at how it's all supposed to connect at the same time.

That's good to know how it's supposed to work. I'll use that knowledge to see if I can figure out how it might have worked and will take pictures to illustrate if I can't.

I certainly could be missing parts. Unfortunately, I'm in the northeast and there really aren't any Pathfinders of this vintage around anywhere anymore (this one came from California), so I likely won't be able to find parts except online.

Okay, in addition to the bars the connect to the electronic lock actuator and the electronic upper glass release (the lock mechanism seems to push a tab to pull the latter, when turned full right), the the lock mechanism seems to actually connect to a bar directly down to the tailgate latch locking bits. This bar seems to be what I'm missing, so I'll search around for one.

Thanks again for the descriptions!

• Like 1