95 pathfinder se... Any way to electrically test water pump?

95wdnewbie

Hi yall...

I recently bought a 95 pathfinder... it was running but terribly... original owner did a lot of great work, truck is lifted, garage kept, and doesnt then some cob jobber got it and I've been chasing his mistakes...

When I drove the car here it was idling very rough and the throttle was not working well at all. Had to keep it at about a quarter throttle to get any acceleration. There was definitely an electric demon present. When I started the tach worked, speedometer and odometer did not. Then the tach stopped and speedometer and odometer worked. Then I lost everything and had no gauges besides temp gauge. Car made it here and I started cleaning grounds and doing wiring... cleaned the mass air flow sensor because that was the only code that was reading. I exercised the electrical demon by grounding the engine properly... this guy had a ground wire running from the hot side of the battery to the electrical component that's on side of the motor behind the distributor cap, spacing on its name. But taking that ground and running it to the frame from the engine seemed to really help. I also cleaned every other ground I thought could have anything to do w MAF or throttle and the main one off the battery. So now the truck was idling great until it heated up... then back to being rough and the throttle being @!*%. so I replaced the thermostat and radiator after reading some threads here. Now I am trying to figure out if the water pump is running properly or needs replacing. I'm also concerned about the head gasket because I was a dummy and drove it with the thermostat not able to open. But I needed to get it here, and it is what it is. Any advice on what to check to ensure that i havent blown a gasket and to make sure water pump doesnt need replacing would be very welcome.

You'd need to get it hot for a good while to blow the HGs. So it is still running hot after a new thermostat? I suspect air in the cooling system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain

And I drove it about 45 miles here... what may have helped me out too is it was a cold monsoon that day. Downpour rain and low ambient temp may have helped me there.

Get a long screwdriver and carefully hold it against the top of the water pump with the engine running. Watch out for the fan. Listen for any grinding noise. Grinding or bellowing = bad. Leaking= bad. Turn engine off. Mark one fin of the fan with black electric tape. Try spinning the fan. If that marked fin spins around more than once then your fan clutch is no good. Grab hold of the fan blades on the fan clutch and try to push it in and pull. Try to move it up then down. Any movement or knocking sounds means the interior seal is bad and you'll definitely need a new water pump and fan clutch assembly.

• Like 2

Get a long screwdriver and carefully hold it against the top of the water pump with the engine running. Watch out for the fan. Listen for any grinding noise. Grinding or bellowing = bad. Leaking= bad. Turn engine off. Mark one fin of the fan with black electric tape. Try spinning the fan. If that marked fin spins around more than once then your fan clutch is no good. Grab hold of the fan blades on the fan clutch and try to push it in and pull. Try to move it up then down. Any movement or knocking sounds means the interior seal is bad and you'll definitely need a new water pump and fan clutch assembly.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk