Bogging down in 4 low, anyone ever unable to move or spin tires?

NovaPath

First time occurrence today, was going up a very steep incline, comprised of a sand and clay combination(very sticky but also very slippery), and I got to a point on the hill that I could not move forward, but I also could not spin the wheels.

This happened on a few different occasions. I know I'm slightly down on power due to an intake modification, and also have a code for the swirl valves, but has no issues accerating on the highway up to 90.

Trying to decide if this was just a combination of the surface and steepness of the incline, or if I actually have a significant lack of power/torque issue to be investigating.

Thanks in advance,

I would say that something isn't right. I have a 3.3 and 4lo has some serious torque. Of course this is speculation but I think in 4lo you'd be able to break the tires loose, at least to jump all over the place, on flat pavement if you were stopped from forward progression(i.e. strapped to a tree or something)

How does it behave in 4lo while driving in a straight line on flat pavement? And also while your in 4lo on slightly inclined pavement if possible, put your trans in neutral and see if it rolls easily or if you can push it with normal resistance from the weight of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Engine bogged down, not free revving. Basically rpms went lower and lower and lower until I lost forward momentum. At that point could not spin the wheels in the much I was in, either.

I had a similar problem when I got mine. It would actually bog down to the point of stalling when climbing steep hills. Mine had a host of problems though. Timing was off, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks. Once everything was fixed it has plenty of power.

Since yours is bogging, I would start looking at the engine. If it was revving up I would say it was tranny problems, torque converter or slipping bands.

I remember someone on here had a similar issue. Turned out the intake boot between the throttle body and the maf was ripped, and when the engine rocked under torque (might have been an engine mount issue too, don't remember), the rip opened up and leaned out the mixture until the engine barely ran.

• Like 3

I remember someone on here had a similar issue. Turned out the intake boot between the throttle body and the maf was ripped, and when the engine rocked under torque (might have been an engine mount issue too, don't remember), the rip opened up and leaned out the mixture until the engine barely ran.

YES!!!! this!!! My intake boot is ripped and I have it taped currently. Just went out to the garage, and I see movement marks all over it (gorilla tape didn't hold, apparently!). This makes absolutely perfect sense as it would rev in neutral just fine, and rev up just fine until under heavy load when it would bog and seemingly just stop producing any power. It felt like the motor was choking out...I've also been noticing a vibration at idle that i'm not used to, i'm willing to bet i've got a blown motor mount.... I'm sure the jump didn't help things...oops, lol.

Luckily, I already have the replacement for the intake boot.

GREAT SUGGESTION!!!

The only time I've been unable to make forward progress in 4LO is when trying to climb a very very steep incline at over 8000' altitude. Engine didn't have enough power to get the torque converter past its stall speed.

You definitely should check your motor mounts if they're causing your intake boots to tear.

• Like 2