Sunroof issue? Reprogramming?

On Saturday I finally got around to putting the new head unit in my 2002 SE. The install went OK except for the steering wheel controls. Note to self: If I ever have to put a new stereo into a vehicle with steering wheel controls, I'm just going to pay someone else to do it.

(On the plus side, I was once again very impressed by the friendly and knowledgeable customer service at Crutchfield. They were patient and courteous even when I was getting frustrated. Would definitely recommend.)

Anyway, they always recommend that you disconnect the negative cable on the battery before doing anything electrical, so being very careful I did this. Because of the issues I had with the wiring harness, the truck was probably disconnected from the battery for at least 6 hours, long enough to wipe out all the memory in the computers.

When I started back up, everything worked fine except the sun roof. Normally the button on the left works almost like the up/down buttons on the front windows, i.e. one touch, hold the button down and the sunroof opens all the way. Same thing happens when closing, push the button to the front and hold it and the suroof closes all the way.

But ever since I put in the new stereo, the button on the left only makes the sunroof raise and lower, unless I hold it, and then it will go back about 2". Then if I press it again, another 2", then if I press it again another 2" and so on. It WILL eventually open the sunroof but what a PITA! Closing is exactly the same, i.e. push the button forward and the sunroof moves 2" and then stops. Then I push it again and it goes another 2".

I'm assuming this all has something to do with a computer that controls the sunroof, is that right? And does anyone know how to go about "reprogramming" it so it works correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Not on the sunroof topic, but on your steering wheel controls. The only one I have done with steering controls required a separate module to make the controls work with the new radio. The PO had left everything in the dash, but not hooked up. So I had to tear everything apart to find out why the steering controls and rear DVD were not working. Then download wiring diagrams for the equipment that they purchased. After that it was easy.

I would never pay the people at best buy/car toys type places to touch my vehicle, I have had to correct too much of their shoddy work. If you take it in, take to a specialty car customization shop.

Edited by Citron

I don't remember the procedure exactly, but I had to reset my sunroof as well the last time I had my battery disconnected. Just google it. It was a quick procedure that just involved holding the switches for a certain amount of time as I recall.

For the sunroof, just keep pressing the buttons until it cycles fully opened, then fully closed. After that, it should open/close normally with 1 touch. Happens to mine all the time when I disconnect the battery; it's normal.