New from Washington

ScottyB

Greets Peeps! My son recently bought a 92 Pathfinder. This was my first experience with a Pathfinder. How he got it is a long story but I spotted it for a friend a couple years ago and now my son has it. Living in the foothills of Western Washington I have decided 4wd is a necessity in this area. I found a 96 Pathfinder locally that has been a lawn ornament for almost a year with suspected transmission problems. I used to drive tow truck and had towed this one before (for a water pump of all things) so I knew it received regular maintenance. The kid who was driving it managed to rear end someone just before the tranny started acting up, so the front bumper assembly needs to replaced.

I offered the owner $300 and towed it out of there. I got it home and discovered the battery was gone, as are the fuse panel covers (both inside and out), the radio, as well as the skid plate. The wiper fluid bottle leaks. Right rear door doesn't open, yet. I pulled the transmission dipstick and wiped the dust off of it. The engine dipstick looks great! Nice clean oil. Radiator was about a quart low and fluid was clear, not a great sign. So I added a quart of Transmission fluid, topped off the radiator, and threw in a battery from my old C-30 and fired it up. The engine sounds GREAT! The quart of transmission fluid found it's way to my shop floor. Sounds like the pump went out on the transmission which likely means metal throughout the transmission, hence a toasted transmission.

My son and I started checking what we could. All lights are working as are the windows. Even the sunroof works. I have found a semi local wrecking yard that has a 96 that has an intact front end with only 140k miles on it. I need to scrape together some more cash but when I have it I am thinking I should be able to get all my missing pieces (minus the radio) from the one vehicle.

Anyway, that is the story of what I have and what I need to start looking into fixing.

• Like 2

Welcome. Nice to have another Washingtonian here. You should start a build thread in members rides to chronicle your rebuild.

And post pics, we are barely literate.

• Like 2

:welcome:

Welcome. Nice to have another Washingtonian here. You should start a build thread in members rides to chronicle your rebuild.

And post pics, we are barely literate.

:yeahthat: