My build/adventure thread

while the qx 4 and pathfinder are "the same" not exactly....the hood line is different.so the fender doesn't match and the marker lights are slightly different as well. I have a qx fender on my pathfinder and it doesn't quit match the hood profile. and the pathy marker light didn't fit the shape of cut out in the fender. oh yea the connecter plug from a qx marker light is different than that of the pathy as well....PIA.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Such a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update!! Ever since I plasti dipped my emblems black I've regretted it and wanted to take it off, so today I spend a couple hours scraping all of the not-enough-coats of dip off the emblems. I'm so happy I finally did, because it looks sooooo much better with the normal chrome, especially with the new lights.

Another small mod/project I did today was a rear sway bar delete. I had been spraying the bolts with wd40 for quite some time now every so often, but they were still pretty tough to get off (thank you Pennsylvania winters). It slid out without too much effort once all the bolts were off. I went for a short test drive afterwards on varied types of roads: through my neighborhood, slamming on the gas while u-turning, normal speed on a curvy back road, 60mph on the highway, and taking the exit ramp way faster than necessary. To my great surprise and excitement, there is absolutely no loss on on road performance. The car felt exactly the same during my test as it did with the sway bar on. No extra body roll, no more axle wobble than usual. In fact, it even got rid of the annoying rattling noise my rear end had been making for years.

Tomorrow I'm going up to Hollister Hills again with a buddy who has a 4Runner, so I'll see what gains it may have off road.

Only some bad iPhone pictures in this quick post today, sorry.

6db237577b5b348b0cf7933baf575be8.jpg

7a4425a0779bbe153a0e9828209e9f59.jpg

7e4884ee88cd2176e4e4b3b311646f6c.jpg

d31e13868f1010cda320f92bc9593d3c.jpg

• Like 2

If you can arrange to ship me and my rig to California I'll come! :lol:

More seriously though, it looks great with the chrome emblems, really looks a lot newer! Very cheap way to drastically change the way the rig's back end looks. I've considered removing my rear sway bar, but I seem to have enough flex as it is, in fact I need to lengthen my bumpstops. Hopefully it yields useful results for you! Take lots of pics, offroading pics are the best.

• Like 2

Like the look of the new lights! Not a fan of chrome, or most badging in general. I've been thinking about doing the rim of my tails either black or body color, and debadging all but the burgers. Great to hear your results with the RSB delete, probably do that soon as well. Can't wait for pics of Hollister!

I can see what you mean about the tail lights--not sure I prefer them to stock but they do look right on the truck. I drove into town the other day and found myself behind a trashed Yota pickup that had one tail light from one year (three-color) and one from a later year (all red with a round part) and the bulbs weren't in the same places on either side. That right there messes with your head!

• Like 1

I have a link to a detailed diagram for a rear bumper with tire carrier if you want it. I'd paste it here now, but I have to dig it out first. I think it's bookmarked on my laptop... I'm going to either have one built or do it myself within the next year or so hopefully.

I AM HIGHLY INTERESTED IN A BUMPER IF YOU COULD POST THIS IT WOULD BE AWESOME. IM THINKING MORE OF A BAJA STYLE WITH A WINCH MOUNT OF COURSE FOR THE FRONT. AND BEING ABLE TO HAVE A SPARE TIRE MOUNT FOR THE REAR I HAVE SINCE MOVED MY GAS CAR TO THE ORIGINAL SPARE TIRE SPOT.

• Like 1

The sway bar delete was helpful up to the point where the shocks maxed out. I would highly definitely recommend it to anyone who wants better articulation for free. We didn't do anything too crazy since it was my friends first time wheeling his open diff 4Runner, but it was a still a blast. At the beginning there was a whole group of fire trucks training at the obstacle course which was awesome to watch.

A question to anyone who's been to hollister: do you guys know about the cave on one of the trails? I forget what the trail was called but there was a cave with a really short narrow opening that went super far back into the mountain. We went in a little ways but didn't have very good lights so we turned around. It was honestly really eerie feeling.

Anyway, on to the pictures! (None have been edited yet)

a2d96da961d34e485d767afd40916b39.jpg

d5813831c31a79c49deb807c23b623f0.jpg

b7d6c14b684e398eaef47e98f7a057a8.jpgd5813831c31a79c49deb807c23b623f0.jpg

c7b28de8e8f657cde0a12d225c9af0ab.jpg

^ notice his face? He dragged his trailer hitch pretty badly on this one.

1f2b2b6bd1ed873a3b0aa7fc050c6d76.jpg

6bc10b0548f77a7c3c5547ad31652af9.jpg

^ pretty surprised I was able to go through that rut in 2wd.

692d073a9ce27eb605001689b260f397.jpg

a3771043437355b07fdddd41b99e6789.jpg

8178af1ee03d586cb067d535ef078adb.jpg

I think I'm close to the picture limit, so I'll continue in a second post.

• Like 2

Great pictures as always! That's a super clean 4Runner too! (Maybe that's just because all the 4Runners in Michigan are $1500 rusted out pieces of junk and you're in Cali but anyway...)

• Like 1

I AM HIGHLY INTERESTED IN A BUMPER IF YOU COULD POST THIS IT WOULD BE AWESOME. IM THINKING MORE OF A BAJA STYLE WITH A WINCH MOUNT OF COURSE FOR THE FRONT. AND BEING ABLE TO HAVE A SPARE TIRE MOUNT FOR THE REAR I HAVE SINCE MOVED MY GAS CAR TO THE ORIGINAL SPARE TIRE SPOT.

Turns out I remembered wrong. :( I never looked at the plans very closely because I wasn't planning on doing something anytime soon when I first discovered them, and it turns out it's just an attachment that goes around the stock bumper. Here's the link anyway, but unfortunately it's not a full bumper. On a related topic, I found this cool Pathfinder for sale locally. Has a cool rear bumper setup; I'm going to save the pictures for future use.

"Bumper":

https://sites.google.com/site/r50projects4free/home

Craigslist Ad:

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6177092603.html

These are from the lookout at the very highest point at Hollister Hills.

f89bf3b7a05f2b9019bcf7eccc8986d0.jpg

90142c707c57ee153919f0d9916951a4.jpg

08f232ae5e50c9ede127be47961df8ea.jpg

ff9903edfb49b6ee7b75f1398825f902.jpg

d334e61ff7426722773d877fc52bfd28.jpg

171d0361a7905bed583d6a5b6415af96.jpg

Stance life #lowered #cambergang #tuckinghardbro

316b32ec6eeef31de7b82477dba6dc24.jpg

I'm including a lot of these to show how much it can flex now with the sway bar gone. All 4 tires were still on the ground, but the shocks were pretty much fully extended and my passenger rear tire was forced into my fender flare like crazy. The body was perfectly level.

5b9963d35066c0abf4f8eb11a70f7806.jpg

1553ec22e828698fb0dfe2238305d284.jpg

It was an amazing view, but we didn't get to enjoy it as much as I would have liked because a heard of JKU's swarmed in with their shiny wheels, hard tops and windows up and started having a vape party. #gobacktothemall

On another note, I have officially decided I don't like the newer tail lights and I'm going to put the old ones back on. They'll match way better with my license plates when I get them, if they ever come. It's been over 2 months already.

• Like 2

Turns out I remembered wrong. :( I never looked at the plans very closely because I wasn't planning on doing something anytime soon when I first discovered them, and it turns out it's just an attachment that goes around the stock bumper. Here's the link anyway, but unfortunately it's not a full bumper. On a related topic, I found this cool Pathfinder for sale locally. Has a cool rear bumper setup; I'm going to save the pictures for future use.

"Bumper":

https://sites.google.com/site/r50projects4free/home

Craigslist Ad:

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6177092603.html

$1800 for an R50 like that?!! Here you can barely find a stock one asking less than $3000. I don't think I've ever seen a modified r50 for sale. There's a SAS wd21 that's been up forever, but they're asking like 6K. Crazy Californians haha

It was an amazing view, but we didn't get to enjoy it as much as I would have liked because a heard of JKU's swarmed in with their shiny wheels, hard tops and windows up and started having a vape party. #gobacktothemall

Dude that was hilarious

• Like 1

I like the older tail lights better too. I also like the badges without the plastidip better. The only reason I did mine is because I don't like how big "QX4" and "INFINITI" are. I sort of like the Infiniti symbol itself but not the rest. Infiniti sounds feminine to me.. I actually always say mine is Nissan instead of Infiniti when asked.

On another note, I have officially decided I don't like the newer tail lights and I'm going to put the old ones back on. They'll match way better with my license plates when I get them, if they ever come. It's been over 2 months already.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Either tail lights look good to me honestly. Now I'm excited to see what this license plate will be!

$1800 for an R50 like that?!! Here you can barely find a stock one asking less than $3000. I don't think I've ever seen a modified r50 for sale. There's a SAS wd21 that's been up forever, but they're asking like 6K. Crazy Californians haha

Rust will do that. Doesn't look bad in the pics but I guarantee ya its on its legs, structurally. I overpaid for mine a bit because I bought through a dealer, but mine was $8K with 125K miles, basically because the interior was mint and it had almost no rust. Enjoy your California cars. I've decided whatever my next ride is (probably another Nissan I hope, and hopefully not for another 5 years) I'll be going on a trip down south or out west to pick up a clean one and roadtrip it home, Roadkill style.

The classic black version? I ordered mine in February and didnt get them until August of that year

I like the older tail lights better too. I also like the badges without the plastidip better. The only reason I did mine is because I don't like how big "QX4" and "INFINITI" are. I sort of like the Infiniti symbol itself but not the rest. Infiniti sounds feminine to me.. I actually always say mine is Nissan instead of Infiniti when asked.

Gotta agree with you on that one. I actually like how yours looks with the black emblems, but honestly if I ever got a QX-4 I would instantly replace all the badges with their Nissan Pathfinder counterparts. Your grille actually looks debadged unless you look closely, which I'm usually not a huge fan of, but for some reason actually looks really great on yours.

Edited by micahfelker

I'm not gonna say what my license plate is until I get it, and when I do I'll just put up a picture. It's nothing mind blowing, I just think it's fun to keep things a secret. Speaking of secrets... I finally ordered new tires on Friday night! Whoever can guess what tires and what size wins!

On another note, I know the title of the thread includes the word "my," but I love looking at awesome pictures, so if anyone has any cool shots (doesn't have to be Pathfinder related, but most certainly can be) feel free to throw them up on here! Or should I just make a second thread open to all for adventure related stuff?

• 2 weeks later...