My build/adventure thread

Random question. Who leaves their fog lights on with the headlight and who leaves them off? I always have them off unless it's actually foggy but I've been thinking about leaving them on with the headlights because they do help me see better, as my headlights shine pretty far down the road since the lift. I'm not sure what looks the best, and I don't want to be blinding anyone. It's dumb but I'm curious to hear input.

Also, when my car is loaded up with camping and fishing gear and has multiple people it really struggles to maintain speed going up hills. Anyone have any solutions?

Random question. Who leaves their fog lights on with the headlight and who leaves them off? I always have them off unless it's actually foggy but I've been thinking about leaving them on with the headlights because they do help me see better, as my headlights shine pretty far down the road since the lift. I'm not sure what looks the best, and I don't want to be blinding anyone. It's dumb but I'm curious to hear input.

Also, when my car is loaded up with camping and fishing gear and has multiple people it really struggles to maintain speed going up hills. Anyone have any solutions?

Stupid technology...um, empty yer truck...no, wait, I guess that would be counter productive, wouldn't it? Light=fast. Heavy=slow...it's how trucks work. Laughing at you a little. :-)

• Like 1

Bigger tires may need different gearing. Can't remember what size tires you have.

Also, re-aim your headlights. That way they aren't shining so far down the road since your lift. And it will keep them from shining through the back window of the car in front of you and pissing people off. Should be a procedure in the fsm for properly aiming the headlights. It is usually something like park 20' feet from a wall and the beam should be so many feet off the ground.

Stupid technology...um, empty yer truck...no, wait, I guess that would be counter productive, wouldn't it? Light=fast. Heavy=slow...it's how trucks work. Laughing at you a little. :-)

Of course, but I was asking more on the lines of regearing

What ratio are you running now? Regearing would probably help but in the meantime, you might get away with just forcing the trans to shift later. The auto in my '93 tends to massively overestimate what the 3.0 has to give and upshift at stupid times. Given that your trans was programmed expecting a much smaller tire, I assume it's behaving similarly. My strategy for hills is OD off, power mode on (switch on the dash, don't know if the R50 has this or not). Forcing it to keep the revs up really does help, and I haven't noticed a hit to fuel economy from doing it.

What ratio are you running now? Regearing would probably help but in the meantime, you might get away with just forcing the trans to shift later. The auto in my '93 tends to massively overestimate what the 3.0 has to give and upshift at stupid times. Given that your trans was programmed expecting a much smaller tire, I assume it's behaving similarly. My strategy for hills is OD off, power mode on (switch on the dash, don't know if the R50 has this or not). Forcing it to keep the revs up really does help, and I haven't noticed a hit to fuel economy from doing it.

I have an HG43 if I remember correctly, which has a 4.363 ratio. I don't have a 'power mode,' but I bet turning the overdrive off would help. I totally forgot I could do that. Mine does the same thing about overcompensating the ability of it's 3.3.

I have an HG43 if I remember correctly, which has a 4.363 ratio. I don't have a 'power mode,' but I bet turning the overdrive off would help. I totally forgot I could do that. Mine does the same thing about overcompensating the ability of it's 3.3.

Mine as well.. what I have been doing lately, if I'm already rolling, is to shift into 2nd until about 4k RPM and then back to D. This seems to give me the little extra power that all the other vehicles on the road seem to already have... and if I'm too far past the reach of 2nd then kicking off the OD does help.

I feel like kicking OD off is better than punching the gas until you finally drop down a gear with every ounce of power the engine can make applied to the clutch packs...

Although the OD is finicky on Nissans. My Frontier had trouble with lockup from 40-45mph, my last transmission that died was the same, and now this transmission I have now was acting the same also. It has since stopped but I am weary of making the lockup clutch to do anymore work than it already has to..

I feel your pain though.. I have made my peace with the lack of power the 3.3 makes but I do find myself in situations, especial when other people are trying to make it to work on time, when I push my 3.3 so that I'm not the inconsiderate slow guy all the time..

Edit: The 3.3 wouldn't be half as bad with a manual transmission...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain

One thing to keep in mind when you turn overdrive off is that you don't overheat your engine from running constantly at higher revs. It'll make a big difference in performance with a load though. The day I ran out of oil I had a couple tons in a trailer with overdrive off and I didn't even feel the weight from a stop.

Haven't had any updates on here for awhile, so I'll share some pictures of things I've been doing.

The first thing I did a couple weeks ago was Yosemite. We hiked to the top of Yosemite falls and then camper for one night, and then drove up to pinecrest lake after to cool off.

9961261477b5fcaa66ed15a8a7395a6c.jpg

bc67300ccd52e5c5f6cc70f089050138.jpg

256673b48cf2d37d3d4f1fd2ee1e2cd5.jpg

When life gives you full parking lots, sometimes you just have to make your own spot.

bfd40e0f5b044261a04cda723f48c68d.jpg

b9789b6550763fb3cdcda635faa2a3bd.jpg

87c6f1c34c3b2c69e3b2b95266190277.jpg

5c9bb21f7a6bf3c4f4a46ab4d89f4883.jpg

32f8f41b051285d5abbb11b4daf5d00f.jpg

2e863267c8bc555194b96771af4ab136.jpg

4ecef9a6eb521c1da57367755c474b8e.jpg

• Like 5

Great pix! And you remind me of my son, a tall, good looking ginger! Didja wear yer sunscreen? -lol. And I also like the last pic, you rebel, thumbing yer nose at the law and parking in the "NO PARKING" zone-haha.

Here's some pics of my friend's Miata. Such an awesome fun car to rip around on back roads.

ed818838cda53c6c45312838e5387c57.jpg

3b6eb28f171ade5e7e476930f5507606.jpg

02ae63ef268f03297f914d002bd95b1e.jpg

And here's a couple boring iPhone shots I got fishing at Pinecrest Lake

b3b12a84b8b4478f64ab7ea19a6ae9e3.jpg

8bc69936b7520e089a3a974bb704186d.jpg

^ the Miata belongs to him

83590d08b3c5e430e75a8f5ccead9ad3.jpg

Sorry I haven't had a lot to post here lately. Been super busy with work lately. I did get some Milky Way shots last night though so stay tuned!

• Like 1

No the other bass pro hat haha, I'm in the plaid shirt

Oh, I see now! Took me long enough, haha. Couldn't quite tell if that one said Bass Pro on it or not so I assumed it didn't; guess I was wrong :lol: