Intermittent rattle from AC Compressor

My pathy's acting up again. The AC works great, feels cold, no leaks, and so on. It's the factory compressor on the engine, so I mean it's had some years (16 years...).

Essentially what's happening, is when the AC clutch engages, there's an intermittent rattle from inside of it. If I can get clear video, I will, but it doesn't happen all the time, and it isn't always loud. What's strange, is that when sitting by the engine with the hood open, it's hard to hear, but from 10 feet away, you can hear it clearly over the hum of the engine. Anyways, I know that's not much for information, but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

I have oiled the compressor, no results. Refrigerant is full, pressure is fine, cold air is blowing.

Think the little guy's got bearing issues? If so... I have to completely replace the compressor, because it's not serviceable.

Can you determine which bearing might be making noise? Take a long screw driver or a long extension and use it to listen to the front of the compressor and then the rear. If it's the front bearing then I think, even if it is said to be unserviceable, you can replace the bearing. Same may be true for the rear.. and also the clutch bearings. Unless it is welded together then you can get in there. 9 times out of 10 an extremely common bearing is selected to go in just about every application to keep part costs at a minimum. Just dig in there, pull the bearings out and take them to your local bearing shop. If there are gaskets that get damaged and you cannot source them then use RTV silicone.

It would be worth a try at least..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is it more of a ticking like a single marble slapping around inside of a cylinder or like a roaring bearing the has a tight spot in it? Reason I'm asking is that my 87 makes a marble like sound but as soon as it's above idle it goes away completely. From my reading it could be a failing bearing or something internal to the compressor that helps regulate pressure that has gotten weak over the years of use. Some people say it's normal (sounds like a ford compressor on the newer vehicles) and some say it's going to fail anytime in the near future

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd listened to it but I'll double check which bearings it might be. Only reason I said it isn't serviceable is I know they build the pulley and clutch and everything altogether, and there isn't a separate pulley that I can find for it.

As for the sound, its really hard to describe. You know the sound of frogs/toads in the distance? Literally like that haha

I did a bit of research into rebuilding the compressor in my '95 when oil started coming out the front side seal, and found out that the front seal (or bearing? Don't remember) was actually some kind of ceramic and require some special tool to deal with, if the part was even available. I decided to let it ride until it blew, and it still worked when I parted out the truck.

My '93 makes some noise, too, and I'm taking the same approach with it. One of these days it'll give me a reason to replace it. Until then, top up as needed and deal with other things.

I did a bit of research into rebuilding the compressor in my '95 when oil started coming out the front side seal, and found out that the front seal (or bearing? Don't remember) was actually some kind of ceramic and require some special tool to deal with, if the part was even available. I decided to let it ride until it blew, and it still worked when I parted out the truck.

My '93 makes some noise, too, and I'm taking the same approach with it. One of these days it'll give me a reason to replace it. Until then, top up as needed and deal with other things.

Yeah I mean right now it's really only concerning because of the noise, but it doesn't seem to be seizing up or anything, and the AC still blasts cold air like a champ, so I guess I'll let it ride. Just sucks though because AC stuff really isn't something to do at home, and a shop's gonna charge a lot to replace it if I have to... And Colorado isn't always friendly with the heat.

It is doable at home. I helped a friend of mine fix the A/C in his S10 a while ago and with a cheap vacuum pump, gauge set, a cheap aircon recharge kit, some PAG oil, and a bunch of those little 134a cans, we were able to vacuum the system down and recharge it afterwards. The redneck recharge worked and it's still going!

But yeah, it's a PITA to deal with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Might just put down a couple bucks to have someplace evacuate the system and refill it with new refrigerant. Much cheaper than trying to get a new compressor that's for sure.