Intermittent power steering failure after rack replacement.

NovaPath

As the title states, I intermittently will lose power steering on the rig. It will be working just fine and all the sudden BAM, i'm having to muscle the thing around the corner. Revving up the engine seems to get it back into decent shape for a while, but then it will happen again.

it seems to be happening less and less as time goes on, and in full transparency I have maybe two miles on the thing since replacing the rack, could this just be the rack bleeding air out of itself? I cranked it back and forth without the engine running a good 25 times, and the fluid reservoir is full.

Thanks!

It sounds like air. You need to crank it back and forth WITH the engine running. Its best to have someone else crank it so you can add fluid as needed. Of course do this all with the cap off so the system can burp.

• Like 3

second on air, it took me a little while to work it all out of my system, but my steering is still heavy cause I ran the pump with no fluid, honestly i kinda like it, feels more precise, I plan to leave it till the pump goes completely.

Seems to be just fine now. Thanks for easing my mind with the "it's just air" replies. Got it aligned(well, toe aligned, the rest is f-ed regardless...) and it drives absolutely awesome. Even found a 1/4 mile long mud and water trail in my own backyard to run it through tonight. I'm really digging this dedicated trail/woods truck thing, especially when the woods truck has ice cold a/c, leather, a 12" subwoofer, and heated seats ;).

Can't wait to get this thing out into the real woods again......