Keep the pathy to wheel or sell it?

So to those that have followed my posts, it is no secret I have become exhausted with my pathy's constant desire to take my money and time lately. This "forced" me to run out and purchase a new 17 wrangler unlimited.

So, i've got my old Nissan with the steering rack partially installed sitting in my garage, and my brand new wrangler out in the driveway. The way I look at it I have two options:

1. Fix the Nissan and wheel the crap out of it until I blow it up or can't fix it. This would allow the "newness" of the wrangler to wear off and still give me something to wheel.

2. Sell the Nissan for whatever I can get ( I figure 2500 is fair asking price for it once fixed).

It's hard to justify keeping it to wheel when I have such a better vehicle for wheeling in my driveway, but i'm also not amped up to go destroy my new ridiculously expensive jeep. Hell, I don't even want to scratch it, lol.

Give me some thoughts,

I feel your pain brother. I just bought a first gen Xterrra because the Pathy had the cancer bad and the rest of the repairs were weighing me down. I plan on selling the Pathy for what I put into suspension upgrades. and turn the X into my new camping/ wheeling/ DD.

• Like 1

I actually bought my pathy for knocking around in the woods. I didn't want to scratch my truck. I love having a dedicated woods rig, I can go down the tightest trails with trees scraping the whole time and not worrying about it.

• Like 1

run out and purchase a new 17 wrangler unlimited.

One day I will just run out and buy a new Wrangler too!

Trail rig the Nissan! Lock up the diffs and you'll go anywhere the wrangler will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly if you're just gonna wheel it and not really care about it much I would totally weld both of the diffs, take off the doors, and just go for it man. It'll keep up with the Jeep no problem, as long as you're not afraid to do a little damage.

• Like 1

Honestly if you're just gonna wheel it and not really care about it much I would totally weld both of the diffs, take off the doors, and just go for it man. It'll keep up with the Jeep no problem, as long as you're not afraid to do a little damage.

+1 to this, wheel the f*ck out of it and let it go out in a blaze of glory

I feel like lots of us on here wish we could do this, but for many it's our daily driver. You're in a unique position here, and I say go for it!!!

Trail rig sounds nice dude. My pathfinder is everything, DD, trail rig, personal living space, road trip vehicle, if something breaks I gotta fix it but you have options. I'd make it the woods truck, Pathfinders are tough, it'll do you right until the newness of the jeep wears off. From the posts of yours I've read you don't like working on the thing, so don't, I've put my truck through absolute hell and it's never perfect but it keeps going. You could take it to a shop for work to be done if you're just tired of the work, but I understand being worn out with a vehicle in general. And if you ever go to sell it let me know, I'd be interested in parts at the very least.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm still on the fence about it, I actually wheeled(well, lightly wheeled) the wrangler this past weekend. Holy cow, what a difference. Best way I can describe is that the Nissan feels "forced" when I wheel it, and the wrangler felt "at home". The hill descent control is legit, and so is the ability to crawl over rocks without touching the accelerator. That being said, I managed to scratch two of the wheels which bothered me way more than it should for a vehicle that I plan to wheel......No other damage to speak of, thankfully.

I still have the Nissan apart in the garage, I've been spending the time cleaning the new vehicle instead of fixing the old. I promised myself i'd put two hours into the Nissan this weekend though, in theory that should be enough to put it back together. If I can get to a point of enjoyment working on it again, I will hang on to it to wheel, but if I still can't stand working on the thing, then I think it's time has passed. I don't mind a challenge, and i'm hoping that when it isn't my daily driver that is supposed to get me to and from work every day, that I won't mind being frustrated by the idiots at Nissan when they built the thing ;).

I could weld the front diff and have no impact on drivability on the street as I've got manual hubs, remove all the sway bars, cut the fenders, and run 33's. That should get me most places that I'd like to go :). On top of that the A/C still blows ice cold, and the seat heaters even still work....The rig really does have a lot going for it as a woods truck. Not to mention the ability to fully lock it up and protect the inside, unlike the soft top on the Jeep.

• Like 2

Decision made: keeping the Nissan to wheel. Decided i will spend more tearing up the Jeep, and I'd really like to keep it in nice shape for a while.

Now to find some cheap used 33's and shoe horn them on. Like to lock up the front end too.

I'm excited to wheel this thing with an I don't care about cosmetics mentality(ok....never really did!)

• Like 1

Will do. Its going to be a while though, I'm not putting much money into the old girl so am holding out until I find a steal on a used set of 33 Mud terrains. If it breaks I will fix it better, and I will maintain it so it is safe and reliable(ish), but I won't be doing a crazy build thread. If I pay to put upgrades on something it will be the long term stable mate, the JKU. After the JKU is paid off it will become the wheeling rig, and I will daily drive a vehicle capable of towing it. Well, thats the 5 year plan at any rate.

• Like 1

Nissan finally moved out of the garage under it's own power this evening. Then I realized that I had no power steering at idle...so back into the garage it went. I figured out that I forgot one of the crush washers on the lines, so it is seeping out fluid at a pretty good clip=not enough pressure at idle.

Good Grief.....I did spin it around the block, seems to run pretty well still.