01 Pathfinder Timing Chain

I have an 01 and bought it with 120k miles on it. The guy told me he had a new timing chain put on shortly before he sold it to me. I now have 217k on it. It still runs great as I maintain it relatively well, but I'm wondering if I need to put another one on or am I good to go? I've heard it pretty much can destroy your engine if it goes. It's old enough that I'd rather not put $5k into a new motor. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

I've had a couple vehicles with the 3.5, including an 07 Quest that we bought new and my wife drove for 10 years. The chain guides on that one did wear out and were first replaced under warranty around 50,000 miles. Then around 100,000 they started to make noise again, mostly noticeable as a rattle on cold start up. I wasn't going to put the money into it again out of my pocket, so we decided to leave it and see how long it lasted. We drove it for several more years and another 50k after that and it was still running fine when we traded it in. Always had a little rattle on start up, but never got worse, and keeping the oil fully topped up and running 10-30 weight also helped minimize the noise. I wouldn't lose sleep over worrying about the timing set.

Thanks you guys for your experiences. Just wanted to play it safe but I'll be listening for the guides to rattle or maybe just trade it. I'd say it's probably about that time. Thanks again

Mine rattles a bit on startup but has been running solid with no problems for a long time now

Mine is the same way. I KNOW it's the tensioner/slack guide... But getting in there to change it... Ugh.

Yeah I would have asked the guy why he did that. Would have been worried of hidden engine problems.

The 3.3 liter engine had a belt that you definitely want to do the scheduled replacements on. The 3.5 has the chain that I've never heard of doing preventative maintenance on.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk