Should I keep my R50?

Hello NPORA nation,

I got a big question for everyone, and that is Should I keep my R50 1997 Nissan Pathfinder?

Just to state as well, I am currently 19 in my second year of college, my Pathfinder (her name is Abbie) was my first car and I love her a lot!

The car was given to me from family - it was a junkyard car stored in someone's yard - a beast in hibernation.

There are many reasons why I am thinking about keeping, or thinking of buying a new car (listed below)

Pros:

1. It's my first car (since High School)
  2. I've put in so much time restoring engine parts in the car - like thermostat, radiator, brakes, brake booster/master cylinder, oil changes etc
  3. I know the car, and the feel of it ;
  4. I've customized the interior , adding a 2000watt amp and subwoofer ; including custom headunit with manual ran wires
  5. Ran custom wiring for the amp - 0 Guage wire + thinking about running a light bar soon
  6. I just purchased new KUMHO All Terain tires 265/70/R15 's
  7. Newly tinted Windows
  8. I Love my car ... PERIOD
  9. Stock Suspension - I'd want to lift the car soon, but it's high enough for me

Cons:

1. Rusting on the car is getting worse, living in a tropical area makes it much worse
  2. Needs a lot of body work
  3. Car is full of scratches from previous owner
  4. Transmission feels that it doesn't shift at 2nd or 3rd gear (if I am flooring it) - probably needs a change or flush, but I am not totally sure
  5. When raining, there are leaks on the roof (from the rust probably)
  6. Some window regulators don't work
  7. Running by-pass ignition switch because of faulty alarm always going off
  8. Shocks are getting bad now, getting a lot of wobble
  9. Dirty Engine Bay - always wanted to replace wires since everything is dusty and greasy
  10. Wires have been bitten by rats since it's been sitting there for a while
  11. Infested with ants due to the wet/rain coming in from roof and other areas of the car

Is my car worth keeping - is the question?

Are R50 really reliable when having fun like offroad without running into any options?

GIVE ME INSPIRATION

Thank you,

Jose

Picture of my truck:

http://imgur.com/download/q2veUIK

http://imgur.com/download/biLEO6x

Edited by joserabagojr

I definitely wouldn't get rid of it quite yet. I'd say you have two good options.

1. Make a list of everything that needs to be fixed on that car along with an estimated total of all the parts. Then decide whether you think it's worth it to fix everything or cheaper to just buy another r50 on Craigslist and go from there.

2. Buy a daily or another reliable r50 and take this one and cut the fenders, throw on some huge tires, weld the diffs, take off the doors, weld in a cage, cut off the roof, do whatever you want to it and wheel it like crazy without having to worry about it.

I know how much cars can mean to people and how you can almost form a relationship with them, so I would definitely do everything you can to keep your rig.

• 2 weeks later...

You remind me of me. I'm 18, my pathy was my first car, I absolutely love her (Jennifer) and I've done weeks worth of work to it. There's always something to be done to it but it's my car and I'm not ever letting it go. Cars are a lot like girls and relationships, you need to go look at your truck for a long time and decide if this is still the one for you. If you have the money to fix the critical stuff then it's up to you. Remember that body work/paint scratches isn't necessary for driving, that can wait. A leak can be filled with silicone, or duct tape depending on loaction, electrical stuff can usually be fixed on the cheap if you have the patience for research and diagnosis, which leaves the tranny and the rust. You can do the transmission yourself if you can find one at a JY and you have the skills, and don't be intimidated by the job, you could probably do it given the list of things you said you did. My biggest concern is the rust, that can require some serious cutting/welding/coating and it really isn't a DIY thing depending on how bad it is. Ultimately if you're willing to work for it this can be a great truck, but it takes a ton of effort. You're a college student , that takes a lot of time, but your pathy obviously still runs and drives. What I would do is, if you decide to keep it, pick one project and tackle it in a weekend, just one thing at a time. But you have to decide if she's worth it. follow your heart dude.

• Like 2

I'm going to go against the grain of the other posts. You are in college, you should be spending time hanging out with friends, hitting on girls, and enjoying being young, not tied up having to work on a vehicle every day. There will be plenty of time for project cars in your life, in my opinion now isn't that time.

That being said, you could be totally different than I was and want to spend your time working on it on the weekends, but I can tell you I have tons of memories from my weekends in college that I wouldn't trade for anything, definitely not working on a vehicle.

Do you live on campus or commute?

My contribution based upon the last 2 comments by Nova and saturn: I didn't go to college, I went to work, spent a majority of my free time wrenching on the rides that I had at the time, whatever time that was left I hung out with friends, and I don't have MANY regrets. I believe that you are the only one who can answer your question, take a little time and see where your priorities lie. Do you want more time to hang out? Do you have a passion for 'wheeling (typically that goes hand in hand with wrenching)? Can you keep your offroad adventures tame enough to not tear up a nicer and reliable dd, or do you like to take the tougher trails, or the trail less traveled? Finally, can your budget support both a dedicated wheeler and a nice dd? Those answers will point you in the right direction. Whatever you choose, enjoy the ride!

Edited by 01Pathmaker
  • Like 3

My response, taking NovaPath's comment into consideration, is that it really is entirely up to you. Sure, you'll do a lot better financially without a car, but for those of us who's world completely revolves around cars it's an expense worth having. I'm currently in college as well, and will be transferring to Montana this fall. I've been into cars ever since I was a little kid, and I'm not about to give that passion up just to free up time and money. I have friends that share my passion, and we spend countless hours helping each other work on our rigs and having fun with them. I wouldn't give that up for anything. Like 01Pathmaker said, it's all about where your priorities are. If you're passionate about this, then don't give it up. If it's more of a burden than it is fun, then maybe come back to it later after you focus on something else. If you love your car, I would keep at it. Either way, best of luck! God has an awesome plan for you, whether or not it includes your Pathy!

• Like 2

My response, taking NovaPath's comment into consideration, is that it really is entirely up to you. Sure, you'll do a lot better financially without a car, but for those of us who's world completely revolves around cars it's an expense worth having. I'm currently in college as well, and will be transferring to Montana this fall. I've been into cars ever since I was a little kid, and I'm not about to give that passion up just to free up time and money. I have friends that share my passion, and we spend countless hours helping each other work on our rigs and having fun with them. I wouldn't give that up for anything. Like 01Pathmaker said, it's all about where your priorities are. If you're passionate about this, then don't give it up. If it's more of a burden than it is fun, then maybe come back to it later after you focus on something else. If you love your car, I would keep at it. Either way, best of luck! God has an awesome plan for you, whether or not it includes your Pathy!

:clap: Well said! Sometimes I forget that not everybody is a car guy/gal. For me, it's always worth it because it's what I enjoy doing. For others, maybe not so much. Personal priorities play a huge role.

• Like 1

If the OP truly enjoys wrenching on it, then by all means, he should keep it. I had a project car/DD from highschool into my first two years of college, and as much as I liked that old car my life got much easier once I had an old, reliable, Acura Integra in my life. Didn't stop me from wrenching on it, keeping it clean, and modifying it, but it did keep me on time to class and able to chose when I actually wanted to work on the thing.

Keep in mind guys, this is all coming from a guy with two perfectly running vehicles in the driveway, one which is a brand new JKU, and a totally beat to crap project Pathfinder taking up the garage....so my priorities are wack to a lot of people as well. I simply wanted to give the OP a contradictory thought to the masses on here. In my opinion there is so much more to life at that age than being strapped to a beat up old truck unless it is a necessity.