95 td27 starter issue

Dino3310

Hi Guys,

just had the starter recond - new bushes and solenoid as the old solenoid was playing up and while it was on the bench we checked the bushes and they were near stuffed so we replaced those too, testing on the bench everything works perfectly but when i bolt it up to the engine all it does is spin or the ching ching noise like its not engaging flywheel, work was done by an auto electrician we've pulled it out and stripped it 3 times to make sure all the bits are in there correct places etc, its got us stuffed why it wont engage.

anyone else had this problem and resolved it, i cant afford a new starter at the moment so if theres a simple fix we've over looked please share.

cheers

Deano

Take a good look at the flywheel ring gear, if it is chewed up it can cause the starter to not engage. Also make sure the voltage getting to the starter is proper while trying to crank, both on the big terminal and the crank signal wire. I am not familiar with the TD but if it uses the solenoid to engage the starter pinion gear and it is not getting proper voltage that would also cause this. try using a jumper wire to apply battery voltage to the small signal wire and see what happens.

Cheers mate, everything looks good, tried direct hook up of leads/power etc, only thing I can think of now is the pinion clutch might be poked, when on the bench testing it throws the gear out to about 6-7mm short but when I test it without the spin just the igniter it throws out %100 😵

My understanding from screwing with other starters is that the solenoid gets power first, its plunger pushes out the shaft with the pinion on it, and when the pinion is out far enough to engage the flywheel, that same plunger runs into the electrical contacts that send power to the starter motor. It sounds like your contacts are engaging the motor before the pinion can engage the flywheel properly. The spinning pinion won't catch the stationary flywheel, and when it tries, you get the ching sound. I'd take the new solenoid (and the old one, if you've still got it) apart, compare them, look for anything obviously wrong, and then try to reposition the contacts or add shims or whatever you need to do to increase the plunger's throw before the contacts come together. The pinion should be damn near all the way out before the motor chooches.

It could also be that the teeth on the pinion (or flywheel, like snowboard said) are so chewed-up that they would have to engage deeper than normal to grab. You could probably tell that just by looking at it. Given the limited throw on your bench test, though, my money's still on the contacts in the solenoid.

I did have the clutch in the pinion fail in my '95. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what went. It engaged the flywheel just fine (no ching sound, no grinding), but when the starter motor kicked on, it made a godawful squealing noise like a drill bit having a bad time.

• Like 1

Thought so, i'll get it back in to the shop and get another pillion gear.

im pretty confident the solenoids all good as this is the third different one ive had on it since ive had this problem.

Not long returned from the auto shop. We stripped it and compared to the old parts, apples to apples, he found the replacement bushes were hard wired opposite to the original, which he says was making it run backwards...... So new set ordered and hopefully be here in a couple days

Turns out the replacement replacement bushes were wired the same so backwards to the original, he couldn't source an like for like set so he did me a good deal on a new starter motor, shes a slow old pig but she starts perfect now :-)

thanks for your input guys