Bumper Kits

neilca

I have seen a lot of bumper kits for the Jeep Cherokee in my search for one to fit the Pathfinder. Has anyone compared sizes of the Cherokee to the Pathfinder bumpers? I was thinking of buying a Cherokee kit and modding it to fit the Pathfinder instead of starting from scratch.

That has been done and is possible with the XJ Cherokee bumpers. I don't have the threads bookmarked anymore now that I have a bumper, but just put "NPORA XJ Bumper Mod" into Google and you should find some good stuff. CDN_S4 has some useful pictures in his build thread.

I bought a JCR off-road XJ DIY bumper. I haven't assembled it yet because of time restraints. My reasoning behind the purchase is,rather than buying an expensive bumper and cutting it up to make it work, I can modify it as I assemble it. There are some good videos on YouTube on how to build it for the XJ and make some mods. I just need someone to build the mounting brackets because my welder won't weld the heavier steel needed to make them.

Hey mjo & megaton, are we talkin front or rear bumpers here? I've got an ARB front bumper on mine but wish to do something for the rear. Am consideing fabing one from scratch BUT if I could mod an existing rear application THAT would be sick!! Any thoughts???

Oops, I was talking front. From what I've heard rear doesn't work as well with XJ stuff. The only reason front works is because the width of the front mounting points on the XJ and the R50 were the same; not the case in the rear.

Sorry I was talking about front bumpers also. I would like to know if there are any rear bumpers DIY or otherwise out there that would work for an R50. So far custom built is all I've seen. I don't have the skills to fab one or the money to have it done.

When I first posted this I was thinking rear bumpers. It is good the fronts are viable. I will search for the Utube video. The mounts on the rear should be able to be moved. My reason for using the kit is all that 3/16 plate can be a pain to cut. Though shipping all that weight could be expensive.

This is the type of kit I was thinking of. All the parts are cut but not assembled.

https://atozfabrication.com/jcr-offroad-diy-front-winch-bumper-for-jeep-cherokee-xj.html?category_id=74

Gives you a lot of flexibility

and this for the rear

https://atozfabrication.com/jcr-offroad-diy-rear-bumper-for-jeep-cherokee-xj.html?category_id=74

Edited by neilca

Sorry, just have to brain fart. It is the ExBrit in SoCal that has good info on this, made it fit right without much trouble.

I'll try to link if I recall, but search for XJ bumper or ExBrit (why the hell is he here) R50 bumper, or whatever. You'll find it, and yes, it works...

(thanks ExBrit, hope to meet you some day)

B

Oooh those are some good starting points, Neilca. Pretty simple styling but I could mod the hell out of those. Just getting big pieces cut is a pain. Little pcs-nothin a Zipcut cant take of. Thx