Pathfinder / Xterra intercompatabilty

I might be joining the Dark Side....Eugene is causing me more and more greef and I don't even want to talk about the rust...what the chances that some of my upgrades might fit an X? things like manual hubs, lego wheels, skid plates that sort of stufff?

Hubs should. Depending on the spline count

Wheels should.

Skid plates may not unless you go after them with a hammer and drill... But that's just a guess.

Keep in mind the body and frame are 100% different. With very few drivetrain similarities.

There are threads in here about differentials not even being compatible.

R50's share some parts with 1st-gen Xterras. Front hubs, rear H233B differential. Some misc interior parts. Many engine parts, since they have the same 3.3L V6.

Hubs, lego's, 100% will fit. The rear ends are the same, minus the spring mounts. Skid plates you may be able to mod to fit.

I have an Xterra and like it. I have the 5 speed supercharged version and it is fun to drive.

R50's share some parts with 1st-gen Xterras. Front hubs, rear H233B differential. Some misc interior parts. Many engine parts, since they have the same 3.3L V6.

Keep in mind that while they have the same differential the axles are different. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/42436-31-spline-swap-or-how-to-install-a-rear-mechanical-locker-in-the-r50/?hl=%2Br50+%2Blocker

I think Xplorx4 is right (he usually is) in that they're both called H233B, but there are different versions of the rear end in each truck. I don't know of any plug and play rear mechanical locker for an R50 but there are some for the d22. Some websites with mechanical lockers for d22s say that they're compatible with "H233Bs", but they don't always specify and I don't know if I believe them that they fit R50s because R50s have 33 spline axleshafts and D22s have 31 splines.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/powertrax-rear-lock-right-locker-nissan-h233b-4-pinion-carrier-pt-3220.html This one claims all H233Bs, including R50s, which I found unusual.

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18915694-complete-detroit-locker-assembly.html This one only says 31 spline

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-3220-lr Summit has the same powertrax as lowrange and says 31 spline only

So rear end compatiblity is questionable to me, I tend to lean towards mods not swapping over, but OEM parts should into the axle case. The NPORA link I posted goes into more detail.

looks like I just bought a 2002 Xterra se.....comes with steel skid plates! glade to know the legos and hub will fit..that was a worry. hubs are one of the single best investments that I've added to keep fuel economy reasonable. the tires on the other hand had the reverse effect. :)

I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'll post a list of things that are similar as I try and swap things over. I'm thinking the Transfer Case Skid plate should bolt up fine.

I feel a little dirty going over to the Dark side. the Pathy has treated me well and has been very reliable. 66000 km in the last 5 years. If I could have found another one not full of cancer I would have jumped on a 2004 in a heart beat. but I live in the Rust belt.:(

I guess it is the WD22 after all.

I wish Nissan still made a decent 4x4. what will we all drive in 10 years? the days of the true off road vehicle are gone. enjoy them while they last.

• Like 1

never mind driving off road....even just on road is a challenge. Read this...https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2016-03-15/ask-an-economist-is-americas-infrastructure-destined-to-crumble

even here in Canada I broke a mounting eyelet off of a Bilstein 5150 shock last winter driving down a city street. talk about off road abuse...LOL. No Friggen Teslas gonna go down our crappy streets. HA! and I'd rather walk than let a robot drive me.

• Like 1

I guess it is the WD22 after all.

I wish Nissan still made a decent 4x4. what will we all drive in 10 years? the days of the true off road vehicle are gone. enjoy them while they last.

It's too bad you left the R50, but I totally understand. It's not like a Jeep where you can just find another one easily. I'm honestly impressed that Nissan made the XTerra as long as they did, all the way through 2015 I think. And all that time it had a real frame and solid rear axle. All those years everybody thought the Wrangler and 4Runner were the last 'real' offroaders left, but the XTerra was there all along! Good luck with your new truck man. Keep on top of that rust prevention. And about what we all will drive in 10 years? If I get my act together this summer with the black spraypaint on the underside I hope I'm still driving my R50!

I wish Nissan still made a decent 4x4. what will we all drive in 10 years?

Hopefully still have the pathfinder up and going... But realistically I'll probably be driving a then 20 year old frontier or xterra...

All the while telling electric cars and autonomous cars to get bent!

Edited by Remus92

Keep in mind that while they have the same differential the axles are different. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/42436-31-spline-swap-or-how-to-install-a-rear-mechanical-locker-in-the-r50/?hl=%2Br50+%2Blocker

I think Xplorx4 is right (he usually is) in that they're both called H233B, but there are different versions of the rear end in each truck. I don't know of any plug and play rear mechanical locker for an R50 but there are some for the d22. Some websites with mechanical lockers for d22s say that they're compatible with "H233Bs", but they don't always specify and I don't know if I believe them that they fit R50s because R50s have 33 spline axleshafts and D22s have 31 splines.

All H233B are similar. Only the gears, carrier, and carrier bearings can 100% port to any other H233B, but other parts like axle shafts, grease seals, and bearings are shared between all R50's, most D22's, and most WD22's. The axle housing is pretty much identical when you remove all suspension mounts.

An Xterra is more of the spirit of the pathfinder than the r50. Good luck with the mods.

In fact, the true lineage considering it's the WD22.

Keep in mind the body and frame are 100% different. With very few drivetrain similarities.

Actually, they have a lot of drivetrain similarities, just might not be 100% interchangeable.

• 3 weeks later...

All H233B are similar. Only the gears, carrier, and carrier bearings can 100% port to any other H233B, but other parts like axle shafts, grease seals, and bearings are shared between all R50's, most D22's, and most WD22's. The axle housing is pretty much identical when you remove all suspension mounts.

In fact, the true lineage considering it's the WD22.

Actually, they have a lot of drivetrain similarities, just might not be 100% interchangeable.

so you can put the differential of an r50 into an first gen xterra?