Regearing

SellOut

If I go up to 35's would I have to regear? If so what ratio would be best? I do less than 200 miles a month on the freeway so I'm not too worried about my top speed being over 75(as long as I'm not going 65 at 4k rpm)

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

From what I understand that only works in the rear diff, not the front for some reason. He could do 4.9's in the rear and an SAS with 4.88's in the front though! :D

That's correct. The R50 front diff uses reverse cut gears; no aftermarket options exist. Every other model uses standard cut gears, and there are front/rear options up to 5.14 available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

going up a few inches in tire size will simply make less rpm on the interstate at speed. less torque or pull at lower rpm range but it wont be drastic like you cant move or anything. 3 inches will probably give you somewhere around a 3.8 or 9 i know 1/4 mile guys that run 3.73 so you should be fine. back in the day of 3 speed transmissions 3.08 were common in the rear.

short version you are fine. less rpm on interstate, speedo reading wrong.

going up a few inches in tire size will simply make less rpm on the interstate at speed. less torque or pull at lower rpm range but it wont be drastic like you cant move or anything. 3 inches will probably give you somewhere around a 3.8 or 9 i know 1/4 mile guys that run 3.73 so you should be fine. back in the day of 3 speed transmissions 3.08 were common in the rear.

short version you are fine. less rpm on interstate, speedo reading wrong.

1/4 mile guys are dealing with a lot more power. Comparing old school v8 with a 3.08 and tall gears in the transmission is apples to oranges to a modern V6 with a 5 or 6 speed.

Gearing is really based on an engines torque and hp curves.

1/4 mile guys are dealing with a lot more power. Comparing old school v8 with a 3.08 and tall gears in the transmission is apples to oranges to a modern V6 with a 5 or 6 speed.

Gearing is really based on an engines torque and hp curves.

short version he will still be fine going down the road ;.P

Why not replace the transfer case gears? I have seen gear sets for the TX10 for about $1200. Expensive but reduces the gearing front and rear at the same time.

about $1200. Expensive

That's why. It's also a lot easier to get at the diffs than they t-case. Diff gears shouldn't be very expensive if you can find a set of 4.636's at the junkyard.

I also saw a post on my Instagram the other week from some company that makes Nissan truck parts (it's a big company, just can't remember what they're name is for some reason...I think they do a lot of WD21 stuff maybe?) and it said that they were selling reproduced NISMO gear ratios for R50's. Might be worth looking into if I can remember the company.