Injectors... Where to buy...

Hi everybody...

A month ago or so, I did my commute travel with the pathy.. No problem... After few hours the motor still warm and started the truck... I felt a weird wouble vibration at the engine and after turning off the truck some smell to gasoline... one two minutes.. And went away...

Since then when cold start the engine no weird vibration... On warm start... Vibration and smell to gasoline... A friend told me to use some cleanner aditive for injectors, valves, etc... I used this weekend... When to small trip out fo the city... The way out, no problem, the way back to home... A nighmare... The truck loose power... vibration, etc..

Yesterday I started again the truck, cold start... no problem... Let it warm for half hour... Turn it down, let it cool for one hour... Start the truck, vibration again...

I think it might be a stuck or bad injector... Whent to the mechanic, told me same thing, maybe some ultrasound cleanning would work, in case of dirt...

So if I have to buy injectors... Do I have to buy the 6 pack? What about refurbished injectors? Or made in China ones? Recomended brand?

Over here the price is absurd its like double the price... So i thing i would buy them in the US and send them here...

• 3 months later...

I have a '92, so different model injectors, but I'm wondering the same thing. I would presume the RockAuto rebuilds to be OK but would love a testimonial. I am also contemplating rebuilding my own and fetching junkyard cores to rebuild should any of mine fail the ohm check. Then again, I have nearly 250k miles on mine, so maybe a 25 year old injector isn't worth trying to save.

I've seen that 12-14 ohms is in spec around here, and the majority of the rebuild is just cleaning, which I'm familiar with 'cause of my motorcycle carburetors, and then replacing the screen and o-rings with new.

On your 2000 do you get a CEL or a pending code when an injector goes bad? Before buying parts (even cheap ones) I'd try removing the bad injector, cleaning it, and then swapping it with another cylinder. If fixed, great. If the problem stays on the same cylinder it could be the harness or something else. If the problem is the same injector in the different cylinder, then I'd buy a new one. If cleaning it works, I'd be sure to clean all of them so they should be somewhat even.

Just went through this with a coil on cylinder #2 (code 0302), but swapped out the coil with another cylinder and all is good.

Best to replace all, but I'd still buy just the one, in the interest of keeping costs low, and then see how it runs.

Best to replace all, but I'd still buy just the one, in the interest of keeping costs low, and then see how it runs.

I agree, but remember that they are all squirting the same gas...what condition are the others in at this point in its life? Budget dependant, of course. Couldn't hurt to check cylinder #6 while you got ur tools out...

Just went through this with a coil on cylinder #2 (code 0302), but swapped out the coil with another cylinder and all is good.

Wait, WHAT?? I hope you mean "with another coil" Otherwise you're just moving the $#itty one to a different spot and THAT would be silly.

DYK, on the VQ35, the #1 coil pak is different than all the rest? And at least that one should be OEM as Nissan ignition systems of that era, are looking for a very special resistance in its coils and using jobber units are known to be of issue bc of their less than exacting tolerances. Personal experience.

Wait, WHAT?? I hope you mean "with another coil" Otherwise you're just moving the $#itty one to a different spot and THAT would be silly.

DYK, on the VQ35, the #1 coil pak is different than all the rest? And at least that one should be OEM as Nissan ignition systems of that era, are looking for a very special resistance in its coils and using jobber units are known to be of issue bc of their less than exacting tolerances. Personal experience.

No, I swapped the coil from one side to the other. I mean I could have pulled it, cleaned it alone and the terminals and put it back in the same spot but figured if it really is a bad coil the code would follow it to another cylinder. It was clearly miss-firing rough with the specific cel/code and now it isn't with no codes. I didn't even pull the plug, but that would have been the next step before buying a new coil.

I didn't know that about the #1 pak, thanks.

DYK, on the VQ35, the #1 coil pak is different than all the rest?

BTW, that's only true for the early VQ35's that have aluminum valve covers. The passenger valve cover has a boss on cylinder #1 that is different than the others. The plastic valve covers on later models all use the same coil packs on all 6 cylinders.

Back to the original issue...

Ideally, if budget affords, swapping all 6 wouldn't be a terrible idea considering you'll be in there doing the work on at least one already. It usually sucks doing the same job twice. But, it can also get expensive fast, and could produce little or no gain beyond peace of mind.

There are some really cheap fuel injector cleaner kits available on eBay and AliExpress. It's little more than an aerosol solvent, injector adapter, and some wire leads. You provide a 12V source to open the injector and just spray through. Attempting to clean your injector may be a cheaper route, unless you're certain the solenoid is malfunctioning and replacement is the only option.